Old September 11th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL give up on FCC

David of Broadway wrote

What is the logic to why it does? It has very little in common with
LU, and a lot in common with the rest of Silverlink (which isn't
shown). I remember it starting to appear, but I never understood why
it did (or the rest of BR suburban services didn't).

I think it was first officially shown on the map in 1977 (and I'm sure
someone will correct me if I'm wrong) -- but it hasn't even been
consistently shown since then. At some point in the 80's, it vanished.
And then in the late 80's or early 90's, it returned; around the same
time, the Northern City line (aka Great Northern Electrics) vanished.

Here's an example of the initial unofficial appearance on the map, as
displayed at the Museum Depot:
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...2_itemId=35525

I note that Camden Road is shown as an interchange with Camden Town - did
this make it onto the official map at any stage?

Old September 11th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:09:05 +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

I think it was first officially shown on the map in 1977 (and I'm sure
someone will correct me if I'm wrong) -- but it hasn't even been
consistently shown since then. At some point in the 80's, it vanished.
And then in the late 80's or early 90's, it returned; around the same
time, the Northern City line (aka Great Northern Electrics) vanished.

Here's an example of the initial unofficial appearance on the map, as
displayed at the Museum Depot:
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...2_itemId=35525

I note that Camden Road is shown as an interchange with Camden Town - did
this make it onto the official map at any stage?

Another oddity is that there don't seem to be enough stations between
Highbury & Islington and Broad Street. I thought it went Canonbury,
Dalston Junction, Haggerston, Hoxton; but only two of these are shown
(I can't read the text but it looks like it could be the first two).
Old September 11th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
[...]

The map is right in that respect. Haggerston closed in 1940 after bomb
damage. Hoxton will be new when it opens on the ELL.
--
David Biddulph

Old September 15th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Biddulph
writes
Another oddity is that there don't seem to be enough stations between
Highbury & Islington and Broad Street. I thought it went Canonbury,
Dalston Junction, Haggerston, Hoxton; but only two of these are shown
(I can't read the text but it looks like it could be the first two).

The map is right in that respect. Haggerston closed in 1940 after bomb
damage. Hoxton will be new when it opens on the ELL.

From south/east to north/west:

Broad Street opened 1865-11-01 closed 1986-06-27
Shoreditch (NLR) opened 1865-11-01 closed 1940-10-03
Hoxton new station
Haggerston opened 1867-09-02 closed 1940-05-05
Dalston Junction[*] opened 1865-11-01 closed 1986-06-27
Mildmay Park opened 1880-10-01 closed 1934-09-30
Canonbury opened 1859-09-01 moved 1870-12-01
Highbury & Islington opened 1850-09-26.
[*] On the "happy afterthought"; I don't have dates for the original
lines to the docks.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: