Old August 28th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ticketing in London - a noob asks.

Afternoon.

Three of us are coming down to London on the 7th September (Arrive on
the 8th at 6.15am - Victoria coach station) from there we're going to
Hornsey then around and about zones 1-3 until Monday when we need to be
back at Victoria for 12.30.

From looking at the tfl website, I think my best option for tickets is:

Friday : Peak travelcard zone 1-3 £7.20
Saturday: Off peak travelcard zone 1-4 £5.40
Sunday: Off peak travelcard zone 1-4 £5.40
Monday: Peak travelcard zone 1-3 £7.20 *or* Off peak travelcard zone
1-4 £5.40 depending on when we leave Hornsey.

Can anyone offer anything better? It seems like a lot of tickets to buy
- can they all be bought when we get to Victoria on the Friday morning?
If not, will Hornsey be able to sell us the relevant tickets?

The only constraint is that the two people I'm travelling with won't
have time for complex ticketing if there are shops that sell shoes to
visit!

TIA
--
Doug
"Doug's cool. He's metal " - Fnook

Old August 28th 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Aug 2006 08:12:48 -0700, "Dougman"
wrote:

Afternoon.

Three of us are coming down to London on the 7th September (Arrive on
the 8th at 6.15am - Victoria coach station) from there we're going to
Hornsey then around and about zones 1-3 until Monday when we need to be
back at Victoria for 12.30.

From looking at the tfl website, I think my best option for tickets is:

Friday : Peak travelcard zone 1-3 £7.20
Saturday: Off peak travelcard zone 1-4 £5.40
Sunday: Off peak travelcard zone 1-4 £5.40
Monday: Peak travelcard zone 1-3 £7.20 *or* Off peak travelcard zone
1-4 £5.40 depending on when we leave Hornsey.

Can anyone offer anything better? It seems like a lot of tickets to buy
- can they all be bought when we get to Victoria on the Friday morning?
If not, will Hornsey be able to sell us the relevant tickets?

The only constraint is that the two people I'm travelling with won't
have time for complex ticketing if there are shops that sell shoes to
visit!

Fundamental question - are you planning to use National Rail (Overground
in London parlance) services or just buses / tubes / dlr? This will
help determine the answer to your question.
--
Paul C

Old August 28th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
snip original
Fundamental question - are you planning to use National Rail (Overground
in London parlance) services or just buses / tubes / dlr? This will
help determine the answer to your question.
--
Paul C

In short, yes. It seems to my untrained eye that it helps connections
to Hornsey from Kings X and Finsbury Park for the journey to from
Victoria. We're also heading back to Victoria on the Friday night for
some theatre thing or other.

Although I'd cheerfully listen to alternatives.

Thanks.

Old August 28th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Aug 2006 08:31:04 -0700, "Dougman"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
snip original
Fundamental question - are you planning to use National Rail (Overground
in London parlance) services or just buses / tubes / dlr? This will
help determine the answer to your question.

In short, yes. It seems to my untrained eye that it helps connections
to Hornsey from Kings X and Finsbury Park for the journey to from
Victoria. We're also heading back to Victoria on the Friday night for
some theatre thing or other.

Although I'd cheerfully listen to alternatives.

Right there are two real alternatives to your suggestion.

The first is to simply buy a 7 day Travelcard for Zones 1-3. This
depends on how willing you are to make a slight financial loss compared
to the cost of the individual tickets. Personally this is what I would
do but then I value the avoidance of queuing for tickets and having a
ride at will ticket quite highly - I'd typically do something like this
if I was in a foreign city. You can buy all the day tickets in advance
if you wish but I'd choose a quietish ticket office to do it at -
Victoria Tube Station in the morning is perhaps not that place unless
you find the smaller office near the District Line!

You could buy the 7 day ticket on an Oyster card (smartcard) at Victoria
- you don't need a photocard either if you buy from a TfL outlet such as
a tube station. You will be asked to pay a £3 deposit for the card if
you buy a 7 day ticket or opt for Pay as you go (see below). You can
keep the card and re-use it on future trips to London.

The other option is to not use National Rail and opt for what is called
Pay as you Go. This is simply cash loaded to your Oyster Card and a
discounted fare is deducted each time you travel - this is much, much
cheaper than cash fares. The clever part is that the card keeps a
running total and will "cap" your total to the equivalent of the One Day
Travelcard ticket less 50p (to reflect that national rail services
typically cannot be used with PAYG). The line through Hornsey is not
valid on PAYG. The cap varies depending on when and where and on what
modes you travel - if you went around by bus all day then you'd be
capped at £3. If you add in tube and dlr then it rises depending on
zones and peak / off peak. The main rule is that you must validate your
card on the readers on buses and at tube ticket gates when you enter a
bus and enter *and* leave tube / dlr stations.

There are displays to show you your balance and ticket machines and tube
ticket offices can add value to your card. You can also do this at
newsagents that are Oyster ticket stops - I'd imagine there are plenty
of them in the part of London you are staying in.

http://www.tfl-ticketlocator.co.uk/r...ID=N8&srcBln=2

As you will be in Hornsey you are very close to Turnpike Lane tube
station - there are masses of buses on route 41 (every 5 minutes) and
144 (every 7-8 minutes) between Turnpike Lane and Hornsey - the 41
serves the station, the 144 stops down the road. There is also a
frequent W3 bus from the Hornsey area to Finsbury Park for the Victoria
Line.

The Piccadilly Line has flat, cross platform interchange to the Victoria
Line at Finsbury Park and both lines are much more frequent than the
First Capital Connect overground via Hornsey.

HTH

--
Paul C

Old August 29th 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Aug 2006 08:12:48 -0700, Dougman wrote:

Three of us are coming down to London on the 7th September (Arrive on
the 8th at 6.15am - Victoria coach station) from there we're going to
Hornsey then around and about zones 1-3 until Monday when we need to be
back at Victoria for 12.30.

From looking at the tfl website, I think my best option for tickets is:

Friday : Peak travelcard zone 1-3 £7.20
Saturday: Off peak travelcard zone 1-4 £5.40
Sunday: Off peak travelcard zone 1-4 £5.40
Monday: Peak travelcard zone 1-3 £7.20 *or* Off peak travelcard zone
1-4 £5.40 depending on when we leave Hornsey.

Can anyone offer anything better?

TBH I think you have the best option there, although if you're only
making a single journey from Hornsey to Victoria on the last day then
you will only need single tickets.

Old August 29th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 28 Aug 2006 08:31:04 -0700, "Dougman"
wrote:

snip

Although I'd cheerfully listen to alternatives.

Right there are two real alternatives to your suggestion.

The first is to simply buy a 7 day Travelcard for Zones 1-3. This
depends on how willing you are to make a slight financial loss compared
to the cost of the individual tickets. Personally this is what I would
do but then I value the avoidance of queuing for tickets and having a
ride at will ticket quite highly - I'd typically do something like this
if I was in a foreign city. You can buy all the day tickets in advance
if you wish but I'd choose a quietish ticket office to do it at -
Victoria Tube Station in the morning is perhaps not that place unless
you find the smaller office near the District Line!

snip lots of useful info

--
Paul C

Paul, many thanks for your response.

I think we'll go for the 7 day travel card. Like you, I prefer to have
a ticket up front and not have to buy more on the subsequent days. And
of course, if we end up somewhere very late, (I believe tickets are
valid 'til 0430 the next day?) then we still have a valid ticket for
the journey

Old August 29th 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 28 Aug 2006 08:31:04 -0700, "Dougman"

Hate to reply to my own reply, but...

Right there are two real alternatives to your suggestion.

The first is to simply buy a 7 day Travelcard for Zones 1-3. This
depends on how willing you are to make a slight financial loss compared
to the cost of the individual tickets. Personally this is what I would
do but then I value the avoidance of queuing for tickets and having a
ride at will ticket quite highly - I'd typically do something like this
if I was in a foreign city. You can buy all the day tickets in advance
if you wish but I'd choose a quietish ticket office to do it at -
Victoria Tube Station in the morning is perhaps not that place unless
you find the smaller office near the District Line!

This seems to be my favoured option currently, however:

You could buy the 7 day ticket on an Oyster card (smartcard) at Victoria
- you don't need a photocard either if you buy from a TfL outlet such as
a tube station. You will be asked to pay a £3 deposit for the card if
you buy a 7 day ticket or opt for Pay as you go (see below). You can
keep the card and re-use it on future trips to London.
HTH

Would this 7 day travelcard (on an oyster card) still be valid on
national rail? I'm thinking that my fellow travellers would be less
likely to use a credit card style ticket than a paper one. Also, we're
down in London every so often so I could keep this and reuse as
necessary.

--
Paul C

Thanks again.

Old August 29th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dougman wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Yes - any season ticket (7 days or longer) loaded onto an Oyster is
valid on National Rail within the appropriate zones - it's only the
daily pay-as-you-go which can't be used on NR.

The 7-day ticket will certainly be the easiest possible option, as it
has total flexibility in both choice of mode (Tube, NR, bus etc) and in
time of travel (it's valid at all times of day).

Paul said that you need to put down a £3 deposit when buying this 7-day
Travelcard on Oyster, but I'm not sure that's the case - the following
Ask Oyster answer suggests not:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D215118AD

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 29th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:30:14 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Dougman wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

It certainly would be - maximum flexibility. Note also that a
travelcard valid for any zonal combination is valid on ALL TfL bus
services over their entire length so you have 6 zones plus some "out
county" bits as well - including the shopping mecca of Bluewater. Oops
perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that ;-)

Yes - any season ticket (7 days or longer) loaded onto an Oyster is
valid on National Rail within the appropriate zones - it's only the
daily pay-as-you-go which can't be used on NR.

The 7-day ticket will certainly be the easiest possible option, as it
has total flexibility in both choice of mode (Tube, NR, bus etc) and in
time of travel (it's valid at all times of day).

I agree with this.

Paul said that you need to put down a £3 deposit when buying this 7-day
Travelcard on Oyster, but I'm not sure that's the case - the following
Ask Oyster answer suggests not:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D215118AD

I went from what was in the TfL tickets book. I am aware that the £3
charge has been waived for a period of time but the revenue protection
documents I could see at work have vanished from the Intranet so I am
not up to date on this issue. I don't trust a single thing that is put
in "Ask Oyster" as it usually vague to the point of being useless.

--
Paul C

Old August 29th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Paul said that you need to put down a £3 deposit when buying this
7-day Travelcard on Oyster, but I'm not sure that's the case - the
following
Ask Oyster answer suggests not:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D215118AD

I went from what was in the TfL tickets book. I am aware that the £3
charge has been waived for a period of time but the revenue
protection documents I could see at work have vanished from the
Intranet so I am not up to date on this issue. I don't trust a
single thing that is put in "Ask Oyster" as it usually vague to the
point of being useless.

The Fares and Tickets leaflet on the TfL website (dated 1 July 2006)
still says "You will need to pay a deposit of £3 when you first get your
Oyster card if you are only buying a 7 Day season ticket or you wish to
pay as you go", which implies that it's free only if you get a monthly
or longer period season. So Ask Oyster contradicts the F&T leaflet.

--
Richard J.