Old October 2nd 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Carry too much on tube

In message , Christian
Hansen writes
I often wear a small backpack, but take it off when boarding buses or Tube
trains. These packs are too big to remove and carry.

There are rules against bicycles at certain times of day and on certain lines.
Why not a "Backpacks must be carried" rule?

In the 60s and early 70s you weren't allowed on the tube "as opposed to
subsurface" unless you could carry it. Cycles and prams were not
allowed under any circumstances regardless of the reason.
--
Clive.

Old October 3rd 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim Brittin
writes
In article ,
says...
In message , Christian
Hansen writes
I often wear a small backpack, but take it off when boarding buses or Tube
trains. These packs are too big to remove and carry.

There are rules against bicycles at certain times of day and on
certain lines.
Why not a "Backpacks must be carried" rule?

In the 60s and early 70s you weren't allowed on the tube "as opposed to
subsurface" unless you could carry it. Cycles and prams were not
allowed under any circumstances regardless of the reason.

Anyone remember the Jonathan Routh record where as 'Candid Mike' he got
a piano onto the platform at Camden Town? Mid-50's I think

I've seen tourists at Russell Square get six foot cabin trunks onto the
Piccadilly Line !!

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old October 4th 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
Adrian Clark wrote:
Small backpacks don't usually bother me too much (I often carry a
guitar across London when I'm doing studio work, so I can't really
complain) but what really annoys me is the huge craze for square
"suitcase on wheels" thingies.

These things could become quite a hazard. Even in non-threatening
situations, like hurrying for a train, I'll judge my quickest route
across the station concourse (particularly Victoria) by scanning the
general movement of people's heads. If I see a gap, I'll make a
beeline for it. However, you don't see the slow moving
suitcase-on-wheels until you're practically falling over it.

If you're moving so fast that you're in danger of "falling over" a large
suitcase that you've failed to notice, it sounds as if your speed through
a crowded concourse is itself a hazard. Don't complain about other people
if you can't be bothered to adjust your speed to the conditions.

You're assuming the person dragging the case is doing so responsibly.
Getting cut up by some asshat dragging a tiny bag on wheels 1m behind them
will get you if you're walking fast or not

dave

--
Richard J.

Old October 16th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Richard J. wrote:
Adrian Clark wrote:
[...]

As a late follow-up to this, three times in the last week or two I've
been clobbered and nearly taken out from behind by someone rushing past
me dragging one of those cases, when they see that they can get through
a gap, but give no consideration to whether the case they are dragging
will get through.

The things are much more of a menace than backpacks. I am always
seeing people falling over them.

Old October 16th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message om, MIG
writes

As a late follow-up to this, three times in the last week or two I've
been clobbered and nearly taken out from behind by someone rushing past
me dragging one of those cases, when they see that they can get through
a gap, but give no consideration to whether the case they are dragging
will get through.

The things are much more of a menace than backpacks. I am always
seeing people falling over them.

Agreed. The problem is that there is too much handle with often a
comically small bag at the end. So you can't see the bag and go base
over apex when you hit the handle.

I've seen women with what amounts to an oversize handbag on about 5 feet
of handle behind them. I often think it would be a lot safer for them
and their fellow passengers to carry the damn thing.

Like all problems this will only be solved when either ...

a. Someone famous gets put in hospital by one.
b. Someone sues London Underground for contributory negligence for
allowing the things on the tube.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old October 16th 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

The things are much more of a menace than backpacks. I am always
seeing people falling over them.

They're a bloody pain to use, as well. I've gone over to using a
holdall, which might not look as professional and businesslike but is
one hell of a lot more practical.

Neil