Old October 9th 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default http://maps.google.co.uk/

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 01:23:46 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
They've replaced the photograph of London with a newer one. It was
taken just after dawn in midwinter, so there are shadows of naked
trees stretched across everything, making it nearly useless!

It can't be just after dawn, not everywhere anyway. Shadows in central
London (e.g. Nelson's Column) indicate that it's late morning, roughly
around 11:00. There's an event of some sort in Trafalgar Square. From
the works going on in Devonshire Road, Chiswick, I would say it was
around January or February this year. Colin says it must be a Sunday
morning. Between us on this NG, we ought to be able to pin it down to a
date.

There is evidence of the aftermath of the fire at Westbourne Park
Garage (51 31 19.83 N, 0 12 2.87 W), so this dates it at some time
after 22nd January 2006.

Old October 9th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Earl Purple" typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
I still went to choir at the time, so it would be before summer 2005
(possibly winter 2004-5).

When I had a look at google maps last I noticed that the Load of Hay
pub in Brent Street was still there with its car park.

That pub was demolished some time ago and there are now flats there. I
can't remember the exact dates though.

I think it's about 4 years since that came down.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 10th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:08:11 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Earl Purple" typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
I still went to choir at the time, so it would be before summer 2005
(possibly winter 2004-5).

When I had a look at google maps last I noticed that the Load of Hay
pub in Brent Street was still there with its car park.

That pub was demolished some time ago and there are now flats there. I
can't remember the exact dates though.

I think it's about 4 years since that came down.

Judging from the state of the White City development
(http://tinyurl.com/qg3e4), it's very recent indeed, around six months
old I'd guess. Not much longer than that because the temporary bus
layover area is in place and in use at the south-east corner of the
site, but work looks to be only just starting on the national rail
site. The eastern end of the shopping centre looks to be at a similar
height to what it is today, but there is not much there at the western
end yet (whereas today it is at a similar height to the eastern end).

The new covered tunnel for one of the Central Line through tracks (I
forget which one it is, Westbound I think) shows up quite nicely
through the middle of the site; on the previous set of imagery, the
whole site was empty apart from the sliproad off the old motorway, and
the exhibition/tennis court sheds were still visible.

Of course different areas of London may be from different dates, just
because White City is really new, doesn't mean it is all so new.

Ah, judging from the cars parked on the Hammersmith Road directly
outside my flat, I would say it is a Sunday morning picture, it's the
only day of the week that parking is allowed there.
Old October 10th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Peter Frimberley wrote:

Ah, judging from the cars parked on the Hammersmith Road directly
outside my flat, I would say it is a Sunday morning picture, it's the
only day of the week that parking is allowed there.

I think we decided that was the case earlier. A look at Brick Lane market
certainly confirms it!

What sort of date range are we down to? If it's only a few weeks across,
then knowing that it was a sunday morning when the tide was flooding would
probably pin it down. Working out the exact time is going to be trickier,
although once we have the date, i think we could do it with one of the
fortuitous sundial objects.

That said, we still don't have a really good one - something really tall
and thin, whose shadow is being cast onto flat, level ground. Does anyone
have an air navigation map of London? That would list masts, which might
do the job.

tom

--
Who would you help in a fight, Peter van der Linden or Bill Gates?
Old October 10th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=...04989&t=k&om=1

Old October 11th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
They've replaced the photograph of London with a newer one. It was
taken just after dawn in midwinter, so there are shadows of naked
trees stretched across everything, making it nearly useless!

It can't be just after dawn, not everywhere anyway. Shadows in central
London (e.g. Nelson's Column) indicate that it's late morning, roughly
around 11:00. There's an event of some sort in Trafalgar Square. From
the works going on in Devonshire Road, Chiswick, I would say it was
around January or February this year. Colin says it must be a Sunday
morning. Between us on this NG, we ought to be able to pin it down to a
date.

There is evidence of the aftermath of the fire at Westbourne Park
Garage (51 31 19.83 N, 0 12 2.87 W), so this dates it at some time
after 22nd January 2006.

I'll delimit that with at least several weeks (if not months) before
Monday 17th July, because the roof over the western side of St Pancras
isn't finished
(51.531921,-0.126426).

--
Dave Arquati
Old October 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Peter Frimberley wrote:

Ah, judging from the cars parked on the Hammersmith Road directly
outside my flat, I would say it is a Sunday morning picture, it's
the only day of the week that parking is allowed there.

I think we decided that was the case earlier. A look at Brick Lane
market certainly confirms it!

What sort of date range are we down to?

It's after 22 Jan 2006 (Westbourne Park bus garage fire) and before 9
Mar 2006 (when I know the Devonshire Road, Chiswick, repaving was more
advanced than on Google).

If it's only a few weeks across, then knowing that it was a sunday
morning when the tide was flooding would probably pin it down. Working
out the exact time is going to be trickier, although once we have the
date, i think we could do it with one of the fortuitous
sundial objects.

The tide is coming in, as can be seen from the water patterns at the
Barrier, but it's nowhere near high water - look at the house boats
upstream of Battersea Bridge, and the foreshore at Chiswick. So I think
we should be looking for a Sunday when high water at London Bridge is
between 12:00 and 16:00.

That narrows it down to these three dates (the time is high water at
London Bridge):

Sun 29 Jan 2006 13:39
Sun 12 Feb 2006 13:34
Sun 26 Feb 2006 12:32

That said, we still don't have a really good one - something really
tall and thin, whose shadow is being cast onto flat, level ground.
Does anyone have an air navigation map of London? That would list
masts, which might do the job.

John provided a Google Maps reference to what I assume is the new
control tower at Heathrow. (For a photo, see
http://www.dormanlongtechnology.com/...hrow_CT_03.jpg )

The Google Earth measuring tool gives a shadow length of 283 m. The
tower is 87.5 m tall. Anyone got a protractor to measure the direction
of the shadow?

--
Richard J.

Old October 11th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
The tide is coming in, as can be seen from the water patterns at the
Barrier, but it's nowhere near high water - look at the house boats
upstream of Battersea Bridge, and the foreshore at Chiswick. So I think
we should be looking for a Sunday when high water at London Bridge is
between 12:00 and 16:00.

That narrows it down to these three dates (the time is high water at
London Bridge):

Sun 29 Jan 2006 13:39
Sun 12 Feb 2006 13:34
Sun 26 Feb 2006 12:32

And if we're looking for the sunshine, Jan 29 seems the most likely
according to http://www.weatheronline.co.uk

Jan 29 had 8 hours of sunshine at LHR, Feb 12 had none, & Feb 26 only a
couple of hours.
--
David Biddulph