Old August 2nd 03, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Temple Bar

I don't think even one Routemaster could get underneath it! The arch
is too low.

No double decker bus would go thru' Temple Bar. Even one of today's
single deckers would be a squeeze, I would think. And I doubt it would
be wide enough for two lanes of traffic. Remember it was built soon
after the Great Fire (1666) (it was designed by Wren) and was designed
to take two horse-drawn carriages and not a lot more. It was moved from
Fleet Street in the 1880s because by then it had become a major
pinch-point as larger horse-drawn busses were coming in. The side
(pedestrian) gates also take up a lot of space which would mean a major
road reconstruction project and the demolition of some buildings if it
were to be replaced anywhere near its original site.

*Keith*