Old July 31st 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Temple Bar

I have been informed that it is being, or has been, dismantled at Theobalds
Grove and will shortly be reinstated at or near its original location
between the Strand and Fleet Street.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 31st 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
writes
I have been informed that it is being, or has been, dismantled at Theobalds
Grove and will shortly be reinstated at or near its original location
between the Strand and Fleet Street.

Er ,if they put it back *at* its original location that could have a -
to say the least - "dramatic" effect on traffic between the Strand and
Fleet Street. "Nearby" I can believe, "at" I suspect is unlikely.

This project has been talked about for yeas, decades, even. What's
your source, John? (Not that I'm doubting you, I hasten to add!)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old July 31st 03, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I have been informed that it is being, or has been, dismantled at Theobalds
Grove and will shortly be reinstated at or near its original location
between the Strand and Fleet Street.

My understanding is that it will be re-erected in or near Paternoster Square,
to the North West of the front entrance of St. Paul's Cathedral.

It can't go back in Fleet Street (sadly, in my view) because the traffic
wouldn't get through.

It was also offered to Middle and Inner Temple, to erect at the South end of
Middle Temple Lane, but we turned it down (I was a member of the Middle Temple
Estates Committee at the time) because it would have cost us over £1 million to
erect it there, and in any event it would have detracted from the attractive
gothic Temple Gardens building which straddles Middle Temple Lane thereabouts.

Marc.
Old August 1st 03, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm not at all surprised Temple Bar is a bit fragile as its been sitting
totally neglected in those woods for ... oh, it had been there ages when
I was a kid round there 50 years ago! Good to see that it's going back
into central London; it was wasted in those woods.

*Keith*

Old August 2nd 03, 01:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
. ..

the Roman Ermine Street runs right by Temple Bar

Ermine Street seems to be still in use from London Bridge to the Tottenham /
Edmonton boundary, but abandoned from there to Maidens Bridge in Bulls
Cross. I wonder why, and when it happened - was it in connection with the
New River construction?

Things are even worse now, so the prospect of it in the
middle of Paternoster Square all spruced up and giving
the place a bit of character can only be welcomed.

I'm sure the phrases "Paternoster Square" and "a bit of character" in the
same sentence will sound okay in time!

I don't understand why they couldn't put it back between the Strand and
Fleet Street. There were buildings demolished there recently, and I assumed
that they were making room for it, but it would appear not. Failing that, I
think they should have put it somewhere else on the boundary between the
City of London and the City of Westminster, perhaps on the Embankment.
Putting it in Paternoster Square seems pointless, because it won't be the
gate between anything, and it will be outclassed by Wren's better known work
anyway.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 2nd 03, 01:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
[...]

Why not as a gate into the CC area? It'd make a significant contribution to
free movement of traffic!

Old August 2nd 03, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

Why not as a gate into the CC area?

Hehe, and make 200 replicas for all of the cordon points.

It'd make a significant contribution to free movement of traffic!

How restrictive is it anyway? Could 2 Routemasters pass each other beneath
it? 2 bendibi?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 3rd 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

I'm sure the phrases "Paternoster Square" and "a bit of character" in the
same sentence will sound okay in time!

I don't understand why they couldn't put it back between the Strand and
Fleet Street. There were buildings demolished there recently, and I assumed
that they were making room for it, but it would appear not. Failing that, I
think they should have put it somewhere else on the boundary between the
City of London and the City of Westminster, perhaps on the Embankment.
Putting it in Paternoster Square seems pointless, because it won't be the
gate between anything, and it will be outclassed by Wren's better known work
anyway.

Remember - this is the new Paternoster Square, which is much more
sympathic towards it's far more grand neighbour St Pauls than that 60's
nightmare.

A piccie of where Temple Bar is being moved to is he

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL85/9...1/29012091.jpg

Behind it, you can see the north tower of St Pauls on the West Front
(I'm sure it's probably got some specific name but I don't know it). The
red brick building in on the left is the original chapterhouse (I
think), the cream coloured building on the right is a new building
that's part of the new Paternoster Sq development.

So, it's not just being stuck in the middle of the square - it will be
used as the main gateway to and from it (the square itself also has a
big column on the centre with some golden fire bolt thing on the top).