Old October 7th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Khyber Pass" opens tomorrow

Just a quick note: the "Khyber Pass", the direct connection between
tube and sub-surface lines inside the barriers, is to open tomorrow
(October 8th), according to posters.

My apologies if this has already been noted, but I searched and didn't
find any mention.

Regards,

Clive
--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.

Old October 7th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive R Robertson wrote:
Just a quick note: the "Khyber Pass", the direct connection between
tube and sub-surface lines inside the barriers, is to open tomorrow
(October 8th), according to posters.

My apologies if this has already been noted, but I searched and didn't
find any mention.

I take it this is about St. Pancras rather than a return to service in
Pakistan !

Nick
Old October 7th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Or in Whitby!

Peter & Elizabeth Corser,
Linslade, Beds, UK
"Nick Leverton" wrote in message
In article ,
Clive R Robertson wrote:
Just a quick note: the "Khyber Pass", the direct connection between
tube and sub-surface lines inside the barriers, is to open tomorrow
(October 8th), according to posters.

My apologies if this has already been noted, but I searched and didn't
find any mention.

I take it this is about St. Pancras rather than a return to service in
Pakistan !

Nick

Or in Whitby! Oops uktlondon group!

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser,
Linslade, Beds, UK

Old October 7th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I take it this is about St. Pancras rather than a return to service in
Pakistan !

Nick
##### Approx 25 years ago in my mispent youth,whilst photographing real
trains on the real Khyber Pass, I came across the unluckiest camel in the
world. Under a road overbridge was a "mangled" and very dead camel,which
had been hit by the one (return) train of the week. It must have been like
the average bus/train passenger and could not read a timetable!

Old October 9th 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive R Robertson wrote:
Just a quick note: the "Khyber Pass", the direct connection between
tube and sub-surface lines inside the barriers, is to open tomorrow
(October 8th), according to posters.

My apologies if this has already been noted, but I searched and didn't
find any mention.

I take it this is about St. Pancras rather than a return to service in
Pakistan !

Yes, this is about King's Cross St. Pancras Underground station.
Sorry!

....and open it did.

The old entrance to the SSL station looks very impressive without any
gates to get in the way - I really like the style of work LUL have been
doing at KXSP.

The Khyber still seems a bit narrow (unsurprising, given that they
haven't widened it) - it was fine at 8:30am on Sunday but I wonder how
it coped this morning? I was also slightly surprised to see the lack of
a dividing rail in the middle, given that it now accommodates traffic
in both directions.

There's a locked door at the top of the SSL stairs that's either an
emergency exit or a planned future access route: it takes up the full
width of the passageway, and is the same in design as the doors that
connect the Khyber to the Tube ticket hall. I wonder if this will
ultimately provide access from the new northern ticket hall to the SSL
platforms?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 9th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Oct 2006 05:42:21 -0700, "John B" wrote:

There's a locked door at the top of the SSL stairs that's either an
emergency exit or a planned future access route:

I would very much hope, given the history of that particular station,
that it's the latter.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old October 9th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
There's a locked door at the top of the SSL stairs that's either an
emergency exit or a planned future access route:

I would very much hope, given the history of that particular station,
that it's the latter.

Heh. S/"locked"/"alarmed".

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 10th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I was also slightly surprised to see the lack of a dividing rail in the
middle, given that it now accommodates traffic in both directions.

That seems to have gone out of the window lately. Public side connection
between the tube and surface used to sport "Keep Left" signs but they've
recently gone. There's no barrier down the middle of the sub-surface
walkway from the barriers to steps by the platforms, so that's a pushy free
for all too.

The whole layout was bad anyway, going from sub-surface to NR front exit
you have to cross streams of people coming from tube to sub-surface.
Hopefully the new link will ease this.

I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

Old October 10th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:42:41 -0500, Dave Plumb
wrote:

I was also slightly surprised to see the lack of a dividing rail in the
middle, given that it now accommodates traffic in both directions.

That seems to have gone out of the window lately. Public side connection
between the tube and surface used to sport "Keep Left" signs but they've
recently gone. There's no barrier down the middle of the sub-surface
walkway from the barriers to steps by the platforms, so that's a pushy free
for all too.

The whole layout was bad anyway, going from sub-surface to NR front exit
you have to cross streams of people coming from tube to sub-surface.
Hopefully the new link will ease this.

I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

You keep left on escalators when walking on them...