Old October 21st 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Khyber Pass" opens tomorrow

Just a quick note: the "Khyber Pass", the direct connection between
tube and sub-surface lines inside the barriers, is to open tomorrow
(October 8th), according to posters.

Yet again they've created conflicting movements between people going
between the Picc/Northern escalators and the sub-surface platforms,
straight across the (busier) vic line escalators.

I guess you can't have it all ...

Old October 23rd 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There is still bad congestion at the bottom of the picc/northern
escalators for example, where flows cross each other.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that one at KX too. I guess so much of it is
historic and would cost a fortune to put right now. A lot of the newer
stations are better in this respect although not perfect. The design of the
sub surface hall at KX has got most of it right, with separation between
the barriers and platforms and one way systems, it's just everyone ignores
them.

Old October 24th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Plumb wrote:
I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

ISTR reading somewhere that it's because most people are right-handed,
so naturally use their right hand to steady themselves on an escalator.
But I could be wrong.

Patrick

Old October 24th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

ISTR reading somewhere that it's because most people are right-handed,

I wonder why it's different for corridors and stairs? I guess it doesn't
matter as the escalators feed the corridors on the left sides.

I expect in the old days when everyone wore bowler hats anyone bumping into
each other would apologise Cholmley-Warner fashion rather than dissin ya
wiv da teef suckin ting

Old October 24th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:42:22 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Having said all that, there are plenty of corridors and stairs on LUL
that don't say "Keep Left" and some which actually say "Keep Right".

Keep Rights tend to be because the arrangement of the passageways
means keeping left would lead to conflicting streams of pedestrians.
Green Park springs to mind...
Old October 29th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Plumb" wrote in message
.. .
I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right
on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

Rule 1 of the Highway Code says that you keep left on pavements
(except for pavements in one-way streets)

Jeremy Parker

Old October 31st 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jeremy Parker" wrote in message

"Dave Plumb" wrote in message
.. .
I never really understood why we keep left in corridors and right on
escalators. Must confuse the hell out of the tourists.

Rule 1 of the Highway Code says that you keep left on pavements (except
for pavements in one-way streets)

Jeremy Parker

I should keep quiet about that then - Ken will probably call for pedestrians
to be licenced and fitted with number plates before they go on the
pavement....

Paul