Old October 11th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Probably stupid routing question - London, Cambridge and Norwich

In article .com,
() wrote:

No need for cycle reservations, at least south of Cambridge,
although the times you can take them on trains is getting a bit more
restrictive.

The bike restrictions have not changed since BR days. It's why First's
new restrictions have had so little effect on my own travel patterns.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 12th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tom Anderson wrote:
I want to cycle from London to Cambridge on saturday morning, take the
train to Norwich in the evening, take it back to Cambridge on sunday
morning, then come back to London on sunday evening. I'm thinking a single
big London - Norwich return is likely to be cheaper than a Cambridge -
Norwich return and a Cambridge - London single.

As you will discover, it is often not the case that one big ticket is
cheaper than a combination of tickets. In fact it's often cheaper to
'split' tickets in this way, especially if undertaking a day return
over a journey where day returns are not available (although I realise
that's not the case here).

A London-Norwich SOR is 66GBP.

London-Cambridge SOR is 35.80GBP
Cambridge-Norwich SOR is 20.90GBP

But you don't need a return from London-cambridge if you are cycling
one way, and there is no need for a SOR for Cambridge-Norwich; a Saver
will do fine.

A Cambridge-London SDS is 17.90GBP (CDS 17.50GBP), and a
Cambridge-Norwich SVR is only 16.70

So you only need to spend 17.50 + 16.70 = 34.20GBP (A saving of 31.80
off the London-Norwich SOR!)

Old October 13th 06, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
(Yorkie) wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

An Anglia Day Ranger would be cheaper at a tenner each way.

A Cambridge-London SDS is 17.90GBP (CDS 17.50GBP), and a
Cambridge-Norwich SVR is only 16.70

So you only need to spend 17.50 + 16.70 = 34.20GBP (A saving of
31.80 off the London-Norwich SOR!)

Or less.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 13th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
An Anglia Day Ranger would be cheaper at a tenner each way.

A Cambridge-London SDS is 17.90GBP (CDS 17.50GBP), and a
Cambridge-Norwich SVR is only 16.70

So you only need to spend 17.50 + 16.70 = 34.20GBP (A saving of
31.80 off the London-Norwich SOR!)

Or less.

Except that we discovered the Day Ranger is now eleven quid. The Saver
is better if he's staying the night in Norwich.

Old October 14th 06, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Tom Anderson wrote:

If i buy a ticket from London to Norwich, can i go via Cambridge, and,
if it's a standard open return, can i break my journey there on both
legs?

And the outcome of all this is that i've decided ...

.... not to to go Norwich.

It would have been for a party where i wouldn't have known most of the
people, and which would have left me too knackered to make good use of the
sunday i'll be spending with my girlfriend. So quite silly.

Thanks for all the input, though! This Anglia Rover business is worth
knowing about, and i am happy to understand the FCC restrictions better.

tom

--
the meaning is the illocutionary force of interrogativeness with no
propositional content -- Geoffrey K. Pullum