Old October 22nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ease of interchange on the tube

In article ,
(Steve M) wrote:

Are there any others I've missed (excluding the obvious joint
running lines such as round the Circle)?

There are stations on joint running lines where interchange is worth
avoiding because you can't be sure to get a same/cross platform
interchange, e.g. Edgware Road District to Circle/H&C.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 23rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:19:12 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

I'm amazed that Victoria doesn't have a "next train to Clapham Junction"
display - unless it's so obvious that I've missed it.

It does have a "Next fastest train to..." display, but Clapham
Junction isn't on it:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...5-10-24_06.jpg
Old October 24th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:19:12 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

I'm amazed that Victoria doesn't have a "next train to Clapham Junction"
display - unless it's so obvious that I've missed it.

And I'm dismayed that Paddington has a 'First train to Reading' indicated
by an asterisk next to about 5 or 6 listed departures. How can they all be
the first train. Even worse, on the displays with 2 pages, for example the
one at the exit to the Circle line station, some of these 'first trains'
appear on page 2. Someone not in the know could quite easily take a glance
at that and miss several trains stopping at Reading while waiting for one
indicated on page 2.

I suppose I should really address my question to the TOC. Ah, now I get
it! Of course, all trains from Paddington to Reading are First trains.

--
Fig

Old October 24th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:37:10 +0100, Fig wrote:

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:19:12 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

I'm amazed that Victoria doesn't have a "next train to Clapham Junction"
display - unless it's so obvious that I've missed it.

And I'm dismayed that Paddington has a 'First train to Reading' indicated
by an asterisk next to about 5 or 6 listed departures. How can they all be
the first train.

They're "fast trains", not "first trains"...
Old October 24th 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

wrote:

I'm amazed that Victoria doesn't have a "next train to Clapham
Junction"
display - unless it's so obvious that I've missed it.

And I'm dismayed that Paddington has a 'First train to Reading'
indicated
by an asterisk next to about 5 or 6 listed departures. How can they all
be
the first train.

They're "fast trains", not "first trains"...

Doh, dyslexia rules, KO.

--
Fig
Old October 24th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:19:12 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

I'm amazed that Victoria doesn't have a "next train to Clapham Junction"
display - unless it's so obvious that I've missed it.

It does have a "Next fastest train to..." display, but Clapham
Junction isn't on it:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...5-10-24_06.jpg

Yes - it's extremely stupid that it doesn't have CJ on it.

Actually, with these boards, I wonder whether they just work on the
timetable data or whether they account for delays to departing trains.
Personally I wouldn't expect them to be clever enough...

--
Dave Arquati
Old October 24th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Dave Arquati wrote:
asdf wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:19:12 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

I'm amazed that Victoria doesn't have a "next train to Clapham Junction"
display - unless it's so obvious that I've missed it.

It does have a "Next fastest train to..." display, but Clapham
Junction isn't on it:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...5-10-24_06.jpg

Yes - it's extremely stupid that it doesn't have CJ on it.

Actually, with these boards, I wonder whether they just work on the
timetable data or whether they account for delays to departing trains.
Personally I wouldn't expect them to be clever enough...

The ones on SET at places like Lewisham certainly don't cope. They
will tell you that the next train to London Bridge is coming at
whatever time the next scheduled train is likely to eventually turn up,
regardless of whether several undelayed ones might be going there
sooner. Even to the extent of showing that the next train to London
Bridge is cancelled, which doesn't really help with when the next one
is.

So it seems to work out when the next scheduled train is and then
simply repeat its expected time or cancelled status, with no reference
to any other trains coming sooner.

Old October 24th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
asdf wrote:
[...]

Shame - you'd think it would be easy enough to take the number of
minutes delayed, add it to the calculated London Bridge arrival time,
and then work out which train is fastest using that...

--
Dave Arquati