Old October 21st 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ease of interchange on the tube

Does anyone know of a good resource for finding out the ease of
interchange between lines at London Underground interchange stations? I
happen to know, for example, that to change from the Victoria Line to
the Bakerloo line at Oxford Circus when travelling southbound is a
simple platform cross. But is there anywhere I can look up this sort of
information for all stations?

I am aware that the extendedness of blob gives a rough indication of
the interchange difficulty, but I would appreciate a pointer to any
website or publication which is a bit more thorough

Thanks!
MU

Old October 21st 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Does anyone know of a good resource for finding out the ease of
interchange between lines at London Underground interchange stations? I
happen to know, for example, that to change from the Victoria Line to
the Bakerloo line at Oxford Circus when travelling southbound is a
simple platform cross. But is there anywhere I can look up this sort of
information for all stations?

I am aware that the extendedness of blob gives a rough indication of
the interchange difficulty, but I would appreciate a pointer to any
website or publication which is a bit more thorough

Thanks!
MU

I think you want the "Way Out Tube Map" - it even tells you which
carriage to travel in for the shortest interchange!

There are a few of these cross-platform interchanges across the Tube
network. From memory...

Oxford Circus (Victoria to Bakerloo, NB and SB)
Stockwell (Northern to Victoria, NB and SB)
Highbury and Islington (NR to Victoria, NB and SB)
Baker Street (Bakerloo to Jubilee, NB and SB)
Euston (Northern Bank Branch to Victoria, NB and SB)
Finsbury Park (Piccadilly to Victoria, NB and SB)
Barons Court (District to Piccadilly, EB and WB)
Finchley Road (Metropolitan to Jubilee, NB and SB)
Kennington (Northern Bank to Northern CX, NB and SB)
Mile End (Central to District, EB and WB)

Are there any others I've missed (excluding the obvious joint running
lines such as round the Circle)?

Cheers

Steve M
Old October 21st 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Does anyone know of a good resource for finding out the ease of
interchange between lines at London Underground interchange
stations? I happen to know, for example, that to change from the
Victoria Line to the Bakerloo line at Oxford Circus when travelling
southbound is a simple platform cross. But is there anywhere I can
look up this sort of information for all stations?

I am aware that the extendedness of blob gives a rough indication of
the interchange difficulty, but I would appreciate a pointer to any
website or publication which is a bit more thorough

Go to
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/maps/ and look under Accessible Tube
maps. The Tube Access Guide and its index give information about
step-free interchanges. Not quite what you asked for, but it may help.

I thought there used to be a detailed guide to each station showing the
number of steps up/down for each entrance/exit/interchange, but I can't
find it on the TfL website.

Ah! Found it on my hard drive! It's an Excel spreadsheet (270KB) that
tells you, for example, that to get from the Piccadilly to the Victoria
line at Green Park, it's 19 stairs up, then a long subway, then 13 + 13
stairs down. I've had it since April 2005, but it appears to date from
about 2001. Does anyone know if there's an up-to-date version online?
--
Richard J.

Old October 21st 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:06:05 +0100, Steve M

[...]

And Acton Town and Hammersmith D&P as above. Also Turnham Green when the
Picc stops there.

Finchley Road (Metropolitan to Jubilee, NB and SB)
Kennington (Northern Bank to Northern CX, NB and SB)
Mile End (Central to District, EB and WB)

Are there any others I've missed (excluding the obvious joint running
lines such as round the Circle)?

Earls Court - between branches of the District Line (WB and EB)
Rayners Lane - Picc & Met but only for Picc trains terminating there.
Ealing Common - District to Picc (Ealing Bdwy branch - Picc trains)
Wembley Park - Met / Jubilee
Finchley Road - Met / Jubilee
Ealing Broadway - Central / District which IIRC is on the same level.
There is also some level access to NR lines to Paddington?
Gunnersbury - District to NLL
West Brompton - District n/b to NR s/b
Barking - District to NR (certain platforms only) ?
Stratford - Central Line to NR also Central Line w/b to DLR and Jubilee
Line to NLL w/b.

I'm sure I've still missed some out and stretched the definition a bit
in places but there you are.
--
Paul C

Old October 21st 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:06:05 +0100, Steve M wrote:

There are a few of these cross-platform interchanges across the Tube
network. From memory...

Oxford Circus (Victoria to Bakerloo, NB and SB)
Stockwell (Northern to Victoria, NB and SB)
Highbury and Islington (NR to Victoria, NB and SB)

NR as in FCC, not the NLL

Baker Street (Bakerloo to Jubilee, NB and SB)
Euston (Northern Bank Branch to Victoria, NB and SB)
Finsbury Park (Piccadilly to Victoria, NB and SB)
Barons Court (District to Piccadilly, EB and WB)
Finchley Road (Metropolitan to Jubilee, NB and SB)
Kennington (Northern Bank to Northern CX, NB and SB)
Mile End (Central to District, EB and WB)

Are there any others I've missed (excluding the obvious joint running
lines such as round the Circle)?

Off the top of my head (and stretching the definition of
cross-platform in places)...

Acton Town, Hammersmith, Wembley Park, Queen's Park (don't know if you
count these as joint running lines)
Greenford
Ealing Broadway (sort of)
High Street Kensington (Olympia shuttles to/from NB Circle/District)
Earl's Court (since you're counting Kennington)
Kensington Olympia (District to/from northbound NR only)
West Brompton (NB District to/from SB NR only)
Farringdon (WB SSL to/from EB NR, though there are a few steps)
Moorgate (WB SSL to WB NR only)
Stratford (Central to/from NR, and WB Central/NR to/from DLR)
Barking (District to/from c2c)
New Cross, New Cross Gate, Richmond, Upminster (to/from certain NR
platforms only)

That should help in compiling an exhaustive list.
Old October 21st 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Information on step-free interchanges, rather than just length, would
probably be rather useful. Step-free ways out as well. Like
City/Victoria to Euston concourse and Bakerloo to Paddington concourse.

Old October 21st 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve M wrote:

(snip)

There are a few of these cross-platform interchanges across the Tube
network. From memory...

Oxford Circus (Victoria to Bakerloo, NB and SB)
Stockwell (Northern to Victoria, NB and SB)
Highbury and Islington (NR to Victoria, NB and SB)

^^^ Only cross platform interchange between the Victoria line and the
Great Northern line to/from Moorgate - aka the Northern City Line
(trains currently operated First Capital Connect). There's no
cross-platform interchange with the North London Line (aka Silverlink
Metro).

Old October 21st 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:06:05 +0100, Steve M
wrote:

(snip)

[...]

^^^ Correct - level access to the NR platform for services to
Paddington (and indeed Acton Main Line, though they only stop their
every half-hour).

Gunnersbury - District to NLL
West Brompton - District n/b to NR s/b
Barking - District to NR (certain platforms only) ?
Stratford - Central Line to NR also Central Line w/b to DLR and Jubilee
Line to NLL w/b.

I'm sure I've still missed some out and stretched the definition a bit
in places but there you are.

Also...

New Cross - East London Line to National Rail SB
New Cross Gate - East London Line to National Rail SB
Greenwich - DLR NB to National Rail WB

Richmond - District Line / North London Line to National Rail EB ?

Old October 21st 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:06:05 +0100, Steve M
wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Yes.

Gloucester Road - District e/b to Circle outer rail.
--
Richard J.