Old January 17th 14, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default NR-tube interchange at Finsbury Park

Anyone know please just what's involved in changing from tube to NR at
Finsbiury Park during the works there?

TfL site has "the ONLY way to interchange between National Rail and Tube
platforms will be to exit via Station Place and re-enter the station."
An able-bodied but somewhat unfit friend is travelling to tomorrow and
asked me if this involves *lots* of steps or just a tedious plod. She
fails to recognise that my ignorance of station interchanges is nigh-on
immaculate - as with most everything else
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old January 17th 14, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\01\17 10:07, Robin wrote:
Anyone know please just what's involved in changing from tube to NR at
Finsbiury Park during the works there?

TfL site has "the ONLY way to interchange between National Rail and Tube
platforms will be to exit via Station Place and re-enter the station."
An able-bodied but somewhat unfit friend is travelling to tomorrow and
asked me if this involves *lots* of steps or just a tedious plod. She
fails to recognise that my ignorance of station interchanges is nigh-on
immaculate - as with most everything else

What journey is she doing? Would the cross-platform interchange at
Highbury & Islington help?

Old January 17th 14, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

What journey is she doing? Would the cross-platform interchange at
Highbury & Islington help?

Without the FPK issue it would be Overground (NL Line) to Highbury &
Islington; Victoria to FPK; NR to Winchmore Hill.

I thought there was no FCC NR service from Highbury & Islington at
weekends. (I did say but should perhaps have emphasised she is
travelling tomorrow (Saturday)).

Old January 17th 14, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, January 17, 2014 10:07:03 AM UTC, Robin wrote:
Anyone know please just what's involved in changing from tube to NR at

Finsbiury Park during the works there?

TfL site has "the ONLY way to interchange between National Rail and Tube

platforms will be to exit via Station Place and re-enter the station."

An able-bodied but somewhat unfit friend is travelling to tomorrow and

asked me if this involves *lots* of steps or just a tedious plod. She

fails to recognise that my ignorance of station interchanges is nigh-on

immaculate - as with most everything else

--

Robin

reply to address is (meant to be) valid

As I know to my cost, the interchange at FPK cannot be done without stairs. At the moment, there are two flights from the tube platforms to the passageway leading to the Station Place booking hall, a bit of a plod, then a further flight from that level to a linking passageway and further stairs to NR platform level which are particularly disability-unfriendly.

Would it be better for the OP's friend to change to Picc Line at FPK and travel to Southgate to be met there or take a W9 bus to Winchmore Hill Green near station. Alternatively, is there an easy way for OP's friend to reach KX to board NR train there?
Old January 17th 14, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

As I know to my cost, the interchange at FPK cannot be done without
stairs. At the moment, there are two flights from the tube platforms
to the passageway leading to the Station Place booking hall, a bit of
a plod, then a further flight from that level to a linking passageway
and further stairs to NR platform level which are particularly
disability-unfriendly.

I agree that's v. bad for anyone with disability but she is merely
unfit. She can manage the route Paul Corfield helpfully detailed.
Indeed, it'll be good for her!

Old January 17th 14, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thank you for that. Most helpful (as usual); and all well within her
capability.

Thank you too for telling me where I could have found the info. for
myself. I did look; and have changed my Firefox settings so I can try
to do better in the future on the NR site (although I know that's
probably as credible as the dog ate my homework).

I have also noted the way to get the info from the TfL site. (I was
interested to compare that with where I was led to when I followed the
link from Jouney Planner to the page for Finsbury Park station
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...s/1000083.aspx That tells me
there is no step-free access. But it points for details only to
Step-Free tube guide (which adds nothing more) or to
http://www.directenquiries.com/. I gave up on the latter but encouraged
(and embarrassed) by your info. I revisited it and find that after 7 (!)
further clicks I can get the same answer (albeit in a prettier graphical
format).

Old January 17th 14, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\01\17 10:53, Robin wrote:
What journey is she doing? Would the cross-platform interchange at
Highbury & Islington help?

I thought there was no FCC NR service from Highbury & Islington at
weekends.

I did know you said tomorrow but didn't realise today was Friday ;-)

Old January 17th 14, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:50:51 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:07:03 -0000, "Robin" wrote:
Finsbury Park - stairs (16 and 17 steps) up from Vic Line to ramped
corridor to Station Place. Turn left, walk past ticket office, enter
into FCC part of station, ascend shortish staircase (12 steps) to
intermediate corridor, walk along corridor to another staircase then
climb more steps (13 and 14 steps) to FCC platformas 5 and 6.

You can use the National Rail website and the Stations made easy
facility to bring up a plan of stations and also photos of the
different parts of the station. You need to load the "large plan" and
then hover your cursor on the part of the layout you want to look at.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...Overview.xhtml

The diagram for Finsbury Park is out of date. There are now two new
platforms and the existing platforms have been renumbered. The platforms
serving Winchmore Hill are now numbered 7 and 8.
Old January 17th 14, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin" wrote:
[...]

I'm a bit late, but here's another idea: take the Victoria line south from
H&I to KX, then catch the NR train from there. More walking, but fewer
stairs.
Old January 17th 14, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm a bit late, but here's another idea: take the Victoria line south
from H&I to KX, then catch the NR train from there. More walking, but
fewer stairs.

Yes, thanks. Offered that to her on the basis as there'd be no
additional cost[1] albeit takes ~10 minutes longer.

[1] like me is of the Freedom Pass generation - and determined to make
use of it before the 2015 Election decides we are wealthy pensioners
like Paul McCartney who don't need ......... If only!