Old October 29th 06, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Class 450 PA System "Hacked"

Sitting on the train to Windsor & Eton Riverside on Thursday, coming
up to Ashford I think, and music starts coming over the PA system
fairly loud. Some fairly recent pop music, fairly unusual occurance
on a train! This continues for 2 tracks or so, punctuated by what
sounds like the odd swearword shouted by some kid. Train stops at
Ashford for a while and the guard announces that it's the school
holidays and some kids are tampering with the PA system and apologises
for the noise and the swearwords and says the police will be joining
the train at the next stop.

Strangely though, he doesnt seem to be able to stop the noise/music,
and it continues until Staines where a load of kids leave the train
from a few carriages down.

At first I thought they had just managed to break into one of the
cabinets and activate the PA, but the guard didn't seem to be able to
find the cause otherwise he would have been able to stop the problems.
The train was stopped for quite a while at Ashford while the guard and
the driver tried to hunt down the offenders, but the problems
continued after the train had set off again.

So given they couldn't stop it, could it be that one of these kids had
an iTrip device or similar which allows you to broadcast on FM,
intended for use with car radios, and interfered with the PA system in
this way? This was the theory the girl sitting opposite put forward.
Possible?

They pulled the alarm at Staines before they dashed off, which delayed
the train even further.

--
to respond via email, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/e48z9

Old October 29th 06, 02:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tom Robinson wrote:

an iTrip device or similar which allows you to broadcast on FM,

An iTrip is plausible. It just could be possible it was not a
deliberate hack but the perpetrators discovered it accidentally.

I thought (with my telecoms engineer hat on) iTrips were not yet legal
in the UK and are still subject to Ofcom consultation not complete
until end of 2006.

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

--
Nick

Old October 29th 06, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28 Oct 2006 20:56:09 -0700, "D7666" wrote:

Tom Robinson wrote:

an iTrip device or similar which allows you to broadcast on FM,

An iTrip is plausible. It just could be possible it was not a
deliberate hack but the perpetrators discovered it accidentally.

Probably, but more likely to be on a previous occasion, as this one
seemed quite "prepared" - they had some way of playing their own voice
as well.

I thought (with my telecoms engineer hat on) iTrips were not yet legal
in the UK and are still subject to Ofcom consultation not complete
until end of 2006.

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

AFAIK they are still illegal to use in the UK, but I expect there's a
fair few places you can buy them. If not it would probably be easy to
get one shipped from the US.

--
to respond via email, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/e48z9
Old October 29th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tom Robinson wrote:

[...]

Perhaps these were the items in an advert for one of the electronics
retailers in the papers last week, which carried a disclaimer along the
lines of 'it is not yet legal to use these items in the UK'?
Brian

Old October 29th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

D7666 wrote:

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

The CE mark does not make them legal, it is just a guarantee from the
manufacturer that they are legal in the EU. The real difference is that
if they in fact are illegal the manufacturer is held responsible and not
the consumer/user.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old October 29th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Olof Lagerkvist" wrote in message
D7666 wrote:

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

The CE mark does not make them legal, it is just a guarantee from the
manufacturer that they are legal in the EU. The real difference is that if
they in fact are illegal the manufacturer is held responsible and not the
consumer/user.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Web: http://here.is/olof

Surely the CE mark simply indicates that they conform to the norms/standards
applicable to their construction, and has no bearing on their legality or
illegality in use?
Brian

Old October 29th 06, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

BH Williams wrote:
Perhaps these were the items in an advert for one of the electronics
retailers in the papers last week, which carried a disclaimer along the
lines of 'it is not yet legal to use these items in the UK'?

Yes. Ofcom have pretty much said they wouldn't take any action even
before the official change in rules, so that was the green light for
retailers to 'officially' sell what was easily available before anyway.

I am intrigued by this story, as I don't know how the PA system works.
The fact you could hear people laughing/swearing does suggest it wasn't
an iPod with an FM transmitter attached. For a start, they're very low
power - so looking for people near the appropriate receiver would have
been a good place to start looking for the 'offenders'.

Why did they announce the police would be at the next station, allowing
them to scarper beforehand. The clever solution would have been to
proceed, slowly, as if nothing had happened. Mind you, hindsight is a
wonderful thing!

Jonathan

Old October 29th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29 Oct 2006 04:10:25 -0800, "jonmorris"
wrote:

Why did they announce the police would be at the next station, allowing
them to scarper beforehand. The clever solution would have been to
proceed, slowly, as if nothing had happened. Mind you, hindsight is a
wonderful thing!

I assume they had been onto the Police while the train was moving, and
the Police promised they would attend at the next stop, but failed to
materialise in time. Apparently this is typical of British Transport
Police (assuming that was who was supposed to be showing up).

It just seemed odd to me that even after the guard had announced the
Police were on their way, the disruption to the PA system still
carried on....

--
to respond via email, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/e48z9
Old October 29th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

D7666 wrote:

Having said that, they are on sale in UK, and (not sure) I think I read
somewhere they carry CE marks which sort of makes them European legal
(cue pedantic discussion UK v. EU law).

The CE mark does not make them legal, it is just a guarantee from the
manufacturer that they are legal in the EU. The real difference is that if
they in fact are illegal the manufacturer is held responsible and not the
consumer/user.

Surely the CE mark simply indicates that they conform to the norms/standards
applicable to their construction, and has no bearing on their legality or
illegality in use?

AFAIK it is legal when it conforms to the CE standards. It would not
have become a CE standard unless the entire EU has accepted it as a
legal-to-use construction. But I may have got this part wrong, anyone
knows more about CE marks?

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old October 29th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

D7666 wrote:

[...]

Found this link http://www.ce-marking.org/what-is-ce-marking.html
which says the CE mark indicates a product confirms to EU
regulations/legislation on Health, Safety and environmental
protection.

Oyster hacked? alex_t London Transport 5 September 1st 07 12:10 PM
Have Oyster cards been hacked yet? Boltar London Transport 10 May 31st 07 01:08 AM
Tackling the problems of London's transport system DJ2 London Transport 1 July 14th 04 10:24 AM
TfL Busses MPT1327 System Q London Transport 7 April 16th 04 12:36 PM
Things you only find out by using the tube - Was Best feature on a metro system? [email protected] London Transport 5 April 10th 04 11:58 PM