Old August 6th 03, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR Station Names Orgins?

Bondee wrote:

One of my mates claimed to be a cockney once. Upon questioning we
discovered that he was born in Chiswick!

No amount of arguing would convince him that Chiswick is *NOT* within the
sound of Bow bells.

Well, *nowhere* is within the sound of Bow bells now, right?

Old August 6th 03, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Peter
Beale writes
In article , redondaXXXX@
btopenworld.com (Redonda) wrote:

Bow Church is from the church near Bow flyover on the A11

Presumably the one which features in "Oranges and Lemons":

"'I do not know', said the great bell of Bow."

The original Bow Church is the one in Cheapside. The Oranges & Lemons
song all relates to churches in the City of London.

As a quick aside a *true* cockney is one who is born within the sound of
Bow Bells. This also refers to the Cheapside church so many people who
call themselves cockneys are wrong!

Mike
(currently doing the knowledge of London)

--
Mike Hughes, a Brighton *licensed* taxi driver.
At home in Tarring, Worthing, West Sussex, England

Need a taxi from Brighton Worthing Gatwick or Heathrow - please visit this
site*
www.gatwick-taxi.com

Old August 6th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who is a Cockney? [was: DLR Station Names Orgins?]

Roy Stilling writes
I suppose anyone born within the M25 qualifies...

But what if you were born before the M25 was built?

--
Dave
Old August 6th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes writes
The original Bow Church is the one in Cheapside. The Oranges & Lemons
song all relates to churches in the City of London.

Shoreditch? Stepney? They're not in the City are they?

--
Dave

Old August 7th 03, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
Roy Stilling writes
I suppose anyone born within the M25 qualifies...

But what if you were born before the M25 was built?

Well that rules me in, which you might get to see / hear, depending if I get
edited out of RailCops - Series 2 - The Jolly, Bald-Headed, Fat BTP PC Is
Back!

Old August 7th 03, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:42:23 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Mike Hughes writes
} The original Bow Church is the one in Cheapside. The Oranges & Lemons
} song all relates to churches in the City of London.
}
} Shoreditch? Stepney? They're not in the City are they?

Neither are St Martin's nor Old Bailey.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/
Old August 7th 03, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Mike Hughes
writes
In article , Peter
Beale writes
In article , redondaXXXX@
btopenworld.com (Redonda) wrote:

Bow Church is from the church near Bow flyover on the A11

Presumably the one which features in "Oranges and Lemons":

"'I do not know', said the great bell of Bow."

The original Bow Church is the one in Cheapside. The Oranges & Lemons
song all relates to churches in the City of London.

Which is correctly called "Saint Mary le Bow". Built by Wren (of
course) on top of what turned out to be a Roman Road. Look out for the
balcony sometime, which recalls an incident in the Middle Ages when
Edward III arranged a great procession to celebrate the birth of his new
son. A wooden balcony was constructed in Cheapside so that his wife
and baby could watch the procession. However, with the Queen in place
on it, it collapsed! Edward was quite ready to put the carpenters to
death (!) but his wife successfully pleaded for them to be spared.

Three centuries later, Wren remembered this tale and added the balcony
on the front for effect.

Sorry to drift off but whenever talking about this church I prefer to
find something different to the Hackneyed (no pun intended!) "True
Cockneys" story.......

Mike
(currently doing the knowledge of London)

Good luck!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old August 7th 03, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew
Malthouse writes

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:42:23 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Mike Hughes writes
} The original Bow Church is the one in Cheapside. The Oranges & Lemons
} song all relates to churches in the City of London.
}
} Shoreditch? Stepney? They're not in the City are they?

Neither are St Martin's nor Old Bailey.

Wrong on both counts, I'm afraid, Matthew.

The Old Bailey is about 150m from St Paul's Cathedral, sited between
Ludgate Hill and Newgate Street.

If that's not in the city, I don't what is!

There are (or have been) five different parishes in the city called St
Martin. The one in the nursery rhyme refers to St Martin Orgar near
Cannon Street. Martin Lane was once notorious for moneylenders - hence
"you owe me five farthings, says the bells of St martins".

--
Paul Terry
Old August 7th 03, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Malthouse writes
} The original Bow Church is the one in Cheapside. The Oranges & Lemons
} song all relates to churches in the City of London.
}
} Shoreditch? Stepney? They're not in the City are they?

Neither are St Martin's nor Old Bailey.

St Martin Orgar church was near Cannon Street and destroyed in the Great
Fire of London. Martin Lane still exists today. (You might be thinking
of St Martin-in-the-Fields, near Trafalgar Square.)

Old Bailey. That's most *definitely* in the City. The street runs
between Ludgate Hill and Newgate Street. The bells of Old Bailey were
moved to St Sepulchre-without-Newgate church in 1739.

--
Dave