Old December 6th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL 2007 fares now on the web

....and the zones 1&2 off-peak Day Travelcard breaks the £5 barrier!
(It had to happen sooner or later!)

The full details of the new 2007 fares are now up on TfL's website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...07/general.asp

The PDF of the summary leaflet is available for download:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...s-Jan-2007.pdf

Presumably the full fares and tickets booklet will follow nearer the
date as has been recent practice.

Over the past week I've seen posters at LU stations advising passengers
that the 2007 fares leaflet was 'now available', but confusingly there
were none in any of the leaflet dispensers. I didn't ask at a ticket
office however so I guess it's possible they may have has some behind
the counter.

I don't know if the free Tube travel for unaccompanied under-11s from
Easter '07 has been discussed here already, but it has been detailed on
the transport strategy section of the Mayor's website for some time
[1]. That website might be a good place to go to get information on
upcoming fares developments, though wading through the minutes of GLA
Transport committee can also provide a wealth of information about
fares as well as everything else transport related in the capital
(obviously!).

-----
[1] http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/transport/fares.jsp

Old December 6th 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
pj pj is offline

"Mizter T" wrote in message
roups.com...

The full details of the new 2007 fares are now up on TfL's website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...07/general.asp

Clever headline grabbing price freezes masking a 4.5% increase for the
average commuter with an annual travelcard. On top of the 20% increase last
year for those who only need zone 1 but are forced to buy 2 as well.

Old December 6th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

pj wrote:

Clever headline grabbing price freezes masking a 4.5% increase for the
average commuter with an annual travelcard. On top of the 20% increase last
year for those who only need zone 1 but are forced to buy 2 as well.

And a very expensive lowest bus fare for a short hop!

Yes, I know, Oyster, and mine just got 20 more quid on it last week[1].
I do wonder why they don't just do away with paper ticketing
completely the way things are going. There are precedents - unlike the
old trams and most/all buses there is no way to pay a fare on board or
at the station on the RandstadRail system that's just launched[2] in
Den Haag/Rotterdam - you need a Strippenkaart first.

[1] I remember the reason why I don't do auto-top-up now - you need to
nominate a Tube station to start it from, from which you have to travel
or you end up with an unresolved journey, and I never quite know where
or when I'll use my Oyster next.

[2] And then stopped again due to multiple derailments in an almost
British-style farce.

Neil

Old December 6th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

[1] I remember the reason why I don't do auto-top-up now - you need
to nominate a Tube station to start it from, from which you have to
travel or you end up with an unresolved journey, and I never quite
know where or when I'll use my Oyster next.

The advice I got from the Oyster helpline last year was to get
auto-setup put on the card by touching in at my nominated tube station,
and to get the ticket clerk there to cancel the unresolved journey.
That worked fine, but I'm not sure if it can still be done that way afte
the new procedures were announced for handling unresolved journeys.
--
Richard J.

Old December 6th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Neil
Williams writes

I do wonder why they don't just do away with paper ticketing
completely the way things are going.

Don't say that! Until Oyster is accepted by National Rail throughout the
London region, paper tickets remain significantly cheaper than Oyster
for many of us.
--
Paul Terry

Old December 6th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
[1] I remember the reason why I don't do auto-top-up now - you need to
nominate a Tube station to start it from, from which you have to travel
or you end up with an unresolved journey, and I never quite know where
or when I'll use my Oyster next.

This is only true for the first time, to activate auto-top-up. After
that the card will top up at any gate you enter through.

Old December 6th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

sweek wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:
[1] I remember the reason why I don't do auto-top-up now - you need to
nominate a Tube station to start it from, from which you have to travel
or you end up with an unresolved journey, and I never quite know where
or when I'll use my Oyster next.

This is only true for the first time, to activate auto-top-up. After
that the card will top up at any gate you enter through.

Indeed - and it will also now automatically get topped-up on buses and
trams too.

Arguably getting auto-topup activated on an Oyster card is worth an
unneccesary Tube journey at £1 or £1.50. You could incorporate it
into a weekend stroll!

Old December 6th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:46:10 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

[1] I remember the reason why I don't do auto-top-up now - you need
to nominate a Tube station to start it from, from which you have to
travel or you end up with an unresolved journey, and I never quite
know where or when I'll use my Oyster next.

The advice I got from the Oyster helpline last year was to get
auto-setup put on the card by touching in at my nominated tube station,
and to get the ticket clerk there to cancel the unresolved journey.
That worked fine, but I'm not sure if it can still be done that way afte
the new procedures were announced for handling unresolved journeys.

Apparently not. According to the new rules posted here, you'll only be
able to get unresolved journeys fixed at ticket offices if it was due
to a system failure. You'd have to phone the helpline and ask them to
refund your 4 quid.
Old December 6th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Dec 2006 05:37:18 -0800, Mizter T wrote:

The PDF of the summary leaflet is available for download:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...s-Jan-2007.pdf

I see that LU paper zonal singles are now valid to Harrow & Wealdstone
(and all the way to Hatch End) - it's no longer an exception. They're
also now valid on the Goblin.
Old December 6th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[1] I remember the reason why I don't do auto-top-up now - you need to
nominate a Tube station to start it from, from which you have to travel
or you end up with an unresolved journey, and I never quite know where
or when I'll use my Oyster next.

As always when this subject comes up, we should stress that it is possible
to purchase an Oyster card online that comes with auto top-up already
enabled so it is less of an issue than it was, and it is also possible to
pick up the auto top-up from tram stops now for those who live in that part
of town.

G.