Old December 22nd 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Two totally unrelated questions..

1) Does anyone know what's going on between Woodside Park and Finchley
Central, also on a part of the Mill Hill East branch? (I rarely travel
north of Woodside Park but haven't noticed anything.)
They seem to be building roads along the side of the tracks - now
someone is probably going to tell me that, but why?

2) I'm about to buy an annual travelcard. (my first!) I always wonder
how much commission my local newsagent gets on travelcards - I did
see a figure in another thread recently, and sure I saw a complete
analysis of revenue from travelcards once. Not that I'm going to bother
now because I've got the cheque made out to LUL but just for future
reference..

Old December 22nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

gw2486 wrote:

2) I'm about to buy an annual travelcard. (my first!) I always wonder
how much commission my local newsagent gets on travelcards - I did
see a figure in another thread recently, and sure I saw a complete
analysis of revenue from travelcards once. Not that I'm going to bother
now because I've got the cheque made out to LUL but just for future
reference..

Sorry, I don't have an answer to either of your questions, and you
probably know this information already, but I've started so I'll
finish.

Any annual season ticket issued in London and the South-East is called
a Gold Card, so your annual Travelcard is known as a Gold Card
Travelcard. As it's a Gold Card It offer a number of other - the
primary benefit is that they are like a Network Railcard, so the holder
(i.e. you) plus up to three accompanying adults can get 1/3 off most
rail fares in the London and South-East area. Like the Network Railcard
the discount is only valid after 10am on weekdays, but unlike a Network
Railcard you will not be subject to the £10 weekday minimum fare.

The Gold Card will also allow you to travel by first class for the day
for a supplement of £3 when you buy Standard class discounted tickets
- see the website for all the conditions. I don't see this as something
to get that excited about, but I understand that some passengers find
it a real boon.

Lastly the Gold Card will allow you to buy a Network Railcard for your
'partner' - though in effect this can be anyone you want, family,
friend or foe - for £1. As has been pointed out here before whilst
your Gold Card should be endorsed to show that you've done this it
often isn't, meaning you might well be able to buy several Network
Railcards for just a £1 each.

Also just to be clear - these Gold Card benefits apply regardless of
whether you bought your ticket from a National Rail ticket office from
TfL. If you do buy from TfL you'll have your ticket issued on Oyster,
but you'll also be issued with a "Gold Card Record Card" which is what
you'll need to present when taking advantage of the Gold Card
discounts.

All the info is on this rather basic text-only website - however don't
be deceived by the lack of swishy graphics as all the details are
entirely accurate and up-to-date:
https://www.trainsfares.co.uk/season...d_benefits.asp

But you know all that already!

Old December 24th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

gw2486 wrote:

1) Does anyone know what's going on between Woodside Park and Finchley
Central, also on a part of the Mill Hill East branch? (I rarely travel
north of Woodside Park but haven't noticed anything.)
They seem to be building roads along the side of the tracks - now
someone is probably going to tell me that, but why?

Probably just access roads for plant equipment. AFAIK there is (or was)
lots of engineering work going on on that branch.

B2003