Old December 27th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Photography on LU

This was forwarded to me for info -

I wanted to drop you a note about photography on (or even near) LUL
property. Earlier today I took a photograph of the front of Pinner
station, and the footbridge. Two BTP officers who had seen this promptly
detained me under section 44(2) of the Terrorism Act 2000
(http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2000/00011--f.htm#44), and informed
that photographing anything that the Government deems 'critical
national infrastructure' (which includes the Underground) is
prohibited unless written permission from the property owner can be
produced. My details were then checked against the Police National
Computer, and I was told that a report would be sent to Special
Branch. Had anything suspicious been found on the computer (it
wasn't!) then I could have expected a visit.

This is the first time I've heard anything about this (and my day job
is in the government security area, at least in part). Certainly I
don't recall Underground News warning LURS members about the risks of
photography. And the LU Traffic Circulars contain occasional notes
about allowing photographs except with tripods and flashes.

Do you know what the official 'take' on this from LUL is?

Old December 27th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
writes

Do you know what the official 'take' on this from LUL is?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp
--
Paul Terry
Old December 27th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
news
In message . com,
writes

Do you know what the official 'take' on this from LUL is?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

I'm sure this has been done to death before, and those guidlines are for
commercial filming and photography (only) - unless this has been changed
very recently. Suggest googling for previous threads...

Paul

Old December 27th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:
In message . com,
writes

Do you know what the official 'take' on this from LUL is?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

That's the line for /commercial/ work (eg: filming the latest
Bond movie). Non-commercial work is allowed with fewer restrictions:

http://tinyurl.com/yz3jut [1]

In essence, LuL allow it.

[1] It should redirect to
https://tube-tfl.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...Z2U9MQ**&p_li=

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash

Old December 27th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
This was forwarded to me for info -

I wanted to drop you a note about photography on (or even near)
LUL property. Earlier today I took a photograph of the front of
Pinner station, and the footbridge. Two BTP officers who had seen
this promptly detained me under section 44(2) of the Terrorism
Act 2000 (
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2000/00011--f.htm#44),
and informed that photographing anything that the Government
deems 'critical national infrastructure' (which includes the
Underground) is prohibited unless written permission from the
property owner can be produced.

There is nothing in this part of the Act which prohibits photography,
nor is "critical national infrastructure" mentioned. The Act does,
however, give the police very wide powers of stop and search provided
that the necessary authorisations are made and renewed every 28 days.
Note though, that this power "may be exercised only for the purpose of
searching for articles of a kind which could be used in connection with
terrorism", not apparently for prohibiting photography.

I'm always a bit suspicious of forwarded mails like this. Have you seen
the full original mail? On what date was it sent?
--
Richard J.

Old December 27th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mike

*Subject:* Photography on LU
*From:* Mike Bristow
*Date:* Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:52:50 +0000 (UTC)

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:
In message
. com,
writes

Do you know what the official 'take' on this from LUL is?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

That's the line for /commercial/ work (eg: filming the latest
Bond movie). Non-commercial work is allowed with fewer
restrictions:

http://tinyurl.com/yz3jut [1]

In essence, LuL allow it.

[1] It should redirect to
https://tube-tfl.custhelp.com/cgi-bi.../enduser/std_a
dp.php?p_sid=ND8Mecqi&p_lva=&p_faqid=432&p_created =1107865574&p_sp=c
F9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMmcF9zZWF yY2hfdGV4dD1waG90b
yZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTQmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9 wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFue
X4mcF9zY2ZfZmFxcypjJHR1YmVfbGluZT1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U 9MQ**&p_li=

Whatever, the original poster referred to an incident that was not
necessarily on LUL property.

I wanted to drop you a note about photography on (or even near)
LUL property. Earlier today I took a photograph of the front of
Pinner station, and the footbridge.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.
Old December 28th 06, 03:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
news

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

I'm sure this has been done to death before, and those guidlines are for
commercial filming and photography (only) - unless this has been changed
very recently.

Yes, you are correct - I'm not sure if the original question was about
professional or amateur photography. If the latter, then I have often
heard PA announcements reminding people not to use flash when taking
photos of tube trains, implying that non-flash photos are still fine.

But this was in the open-air and, as has been pointed out, not
necessarily even on LU property. The story sounds mighty odd, if true
(unless there is something more to it, like appearing to act in a
suspicious manner).

--
Paul Terry
Old December 28th 06, 04:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

heard PA announcements reminding people not to use flash when taking
photos of tube trains, implying that non-flash photos are still fine.

There was a guy in Kings X tube barrier line last wed around 18.50 taking
snaps around the top of the escalators and out of nowhere two BTP appeared
and rushed over to him. The conversation that then took place was
considerably longer than any warning about a flash and included notes being
made in notebooks. The guy looked like a tourist, though of course this is
my opinion and he might have been some dangerous terrorist casing the joint
for a future event.

These days it appears nothing is innocent anymore and demands
investigation.

Old December 28th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2000/00011--f.htm#44), and informed
that photographing anything that the Government deems 'critical
national infrastructure' (which includes the Underground) is

So he whipped his camera out to take a quite snapshot and 2 plods just
appeared out of nowhere and arrested him? Sounds a bit suss to me. If
the story is true I suspect he was probably hanging around quite a
while , long enough for someone to get suspicious and call the police.
Still worrying though that this terrorism act seems to be used as a
catch all these days for nicking anyone they don't like the look of.

B2003

Old December 28th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
This was forwarded to me for info -

OK Can we have the complete original source (including relevant
headers)?

I wanted to drop you a note about photography on (or even near) LUL
property. Earlier today I took a photograph of the front of Pinner
station, and the footbridge.

Hmm, not as is a footbridge is a 'prohibited place'.

Two BTP officers who had seen this promptly
detained me under section 44(2) of the Terrorism Act 2000
(
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2000/00011--f.htm#44), and informed
that photographing anything that the Government deems 'critical
national infrastructure' (which includes the Underground) is
prohibited unless written permission from the property owner can be
produced.

As they are in thier powers to do so... There might have been an
'alert' on
over the Christmas period, (There certainly was in respect of
Eurostar..)

My details were then checked against the Police National
Computer, and I was told that a report would be sent to Special
Branch. Had anything suspicious been found on the computer (it
wasn't!) then I could have expected a visit.

Standard checks, after all an average plod isn't going to know a bloke
with a camera is not a terrorist, taking techncial shots.

This is the first time I've heard anything about this (and my day job
is in the government security area, at least in part).
Certainly I
don't recall Underground News warning LURS members about the risks of
photography. And the LU Traffic Circulars contain occasional notes
about allowing photographs except with tripods and flashes.

BTP aren't LU, and have thier own reasons.

That said it does seem a little heavy handed, I mean Pinner isn't
exactly
a hot bed of radical extremists.