Old March 9th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Photography underground

Are there any specific instructions for photographers on the
Underground? I was standing at the Baker Street station (Metropolitan
line platform) and tried to make photo of the local junction (at the
moment when train was passing it) - I was approached by two policemen
and told to stop photography and delete existing photos (they even
checked that the photos were deleted) as no photography allowed on the
Underground anymore due to the threat of the terrorism.

Is it true?

P.S. I was standing in the location permitted for the passengers and
photos without flash. Even more, I shot more then 10 stations during
the week, and this is the first incident of the kind (even though in
many locations I stood right next to station staff).

Old March 9th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 9, 6:50 pm, "alex_t" wrote:
Are there any specific instructions for photographers on the
Underground? I was standing at the Baker Street station (Metropolitan
line platform) and tried to make photo of the local junction (at the
moment when train was passing it) - I was approached by two policemen
and told to stop photography and delete existing photos (they even
checked that the photos were deleted) as no photography allowed on the
Underground anymore due to the threat of the terrorism.

Is it true?

P.S. I was standing in the location permitted for the passengers and
photos without flash. Even more, I shot more then 10 stations during
the week, and this is the first incident of the kind (even though in
many locations I stood right next to station staff).

What they have told you is absolute nonsense!
The only restrictions are that a tripod should not be used, you dont
get too close to the platform edge and NEVER EVER EVER use the flash
or those red lights they now have. They can momentarily "blind" the
driver.
You should have then asked the station supervisor if they minded.
Did you get the Officers' details?

Next time, if your around photographing for a project or something,
see the Station Supervisor.

Old March 9th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Mar 2007 11:11:01 -0800, chunky munky wrote:

Next time, if your around photographing for a project or something,
see the Station Supervisor.

According to

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

you have to apply in writing and pay for the privilege.

And the FAQ specifically says ANYBODY wanting to take pictures must seek
prior permission.

--
jhk
Old March 9th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
On 9 Mar 2007 11:11:01 -0800, chunky munky wrote:

Next time, if your around photographing for a project or something,
see the Station Supervisor.

According to

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

you have to apply in writing and pay for the privilege.

And the FAQ specifically says ANYBODY wanting to take pictures must seek
prior permission.

Every time this subject has come up before it has been found that that link
refers to commercial filming only. Happy snaps are allowed except flash and
tripods are not permitted.

Paul

Old March 9th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
. ..
On 9 Mar 2007 11:11:01 -0800, chunky munky wrote:

Next time, if your around photographing for a project or something,
see the Station Supervisor.

According to

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

you have to apply in writing and pay for the privilege.

And the FAQ specifically says ANYBODY wanting to take pictures must seek
prior permission.

Every time this subject has come up before it has been found that that link
refers to commercial filming only. Happy snaps are allowed except flash and
tripods are not permitted.

Yes, I would have thought the same thing I(and have certainly taken
photographs in the past without any incident).

However, the FAQ does seem to impose a blanket ban (or rather charging
regime). Anyone know anything different that they can actually point
to in written form?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old March 9th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes
Every time this subject has come up before it has been found that that link
refers to commercial filming only. Happy snaps are allowed except flash and
tripods are not permitted.

This gets even more interesting. When I delved deeper into

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/filming

I found the quote:

"It's not all underground either. Apart from the Circle line, all other
lines thread their way through the City and go above ground into the
countryside."

Where, pray, are the Victoria Line and Waterloo & City "go above ground
into the countryside"?!

Old March 9th 07, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The only restrictions are that a tripod should not be used, you dont
get too close to the platform edge and NEVER EVER EVER use the flash
or those red lights they now have. They can momentarily "blind" the
driver.

I was about two meters away from the platform (and there was a barrier
at the edge of the platform), the flash was disabled and no red lights
at all (I specifically check for this before filming), and of course
no tripod.

You should have then asked the station supervisor if they minded.

I was making photos for myself (well, I will publish most of them on
my homepage and some at Wikipedia) - I do not want to inconvenience LU
staff with my hobby...

Did you get the Officers' details?

Nope, I was quite scared actually. Not to mention that this was near
large group of passengers waiting for the train - I got some funny
looks later in the train.

Next time, if your around photographing for a project or something,
see the Station Supervisor.

:-/

Old March 9th 07, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Every time this subject has come up before it has been found that that
link
refers to commercial filming only. Happy snaps are allowed except flash
and
tripods are not permitted.

Yes, I would have thought the same thing I(and have certainly taken
photographs in the past without any incident).

However, the FAQ does seem to impose a blanket ban (or rather charging
regime). Anyone know anything different that they can actually point to
in written form?

If you go into 'Ask Tube' and search on the word 'photography', it reads as
follows:

Q. Do I need permission to film or take photographs on the tube?

A. You may take personal photographs on the Tube, but you MUST NOT use
flash.

For information on filming or taking professional photographs on the tube,
please [click here]

(the link takes you to the commercial filming section linked earlier) I
think its about time somone much more interested in photography than me
tried to get them to change the website.

Paul

Old March 9th 07, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Mar 2007 10:50:37 -0800, "alex_t"
wrote:

Are there any specific instructions for photographers on the
Underground? I was standing at the Baker Street station (Metropolitan
line platform) and tried to make photo of the local junction (at the
moment when train was passing it) - I was approached by two policemen
and told to stop photography and delete existing photos (they even
checked that the photos were deleted) as no photography allowed on the
Underground anymore due to the threat of the terrorism.

Is it true?

No it is not true. There would be posters and announcements to advise
people if it was. The only posters and announcements relate to not using
flash photography due to the blinding effect it can have on drivers.

I sometimes cover for my boss at security meetings and a ban on
photography has never been mentioned at all.

The police also have no right whatsoever to demand that you delete
photographs from your camera. I despair of this sort of thing. Were they
"real" police or "plastic" community support officers? I've had a run
in with the latter at Victoria Bus Station and ended up advising them
that they call Tim O'Toole to verify that I was a senior manager at LU.
At that point they gave up hassling me.

The main issue is to check with the station supervisor so they know you
are there and can provide any requisite local knowledge.

I recently took some photos on the Tyne and Wear Metro and I had to sign
an indemnity waiver and advise where I would be on the system. Now I
personally think that is completely over the top but nonetheless I
complied with the "rules" even though they were NOT on the Nexus
website. It took about three e-mails in the space of a few hours and
everything was sorted. I had no problems on the day and no one batted an
eyelid or said anything.

Here is the official legal position

Click on the like to the pdf file via UK Photographers Rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor... ited_Kingdom

P.S. I was standing in the location permitted for the passengers and
photos without flash. Even more, I shot more then 10 stations during
the week, and this is the first incident of the kind (even though in
many locations I stood right next to station staff).

Baker St is a HQ building so I can perhaps understand a slightly more
"intense" view as to photography but even so. Security is important but
it is not there to create needless restrictions or paranoia or else the
terrorists have won IMO.

--
Paul C

Old March 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

According to

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/arts/film...lming-faqs.asp

you have to apply in writing and pay for the privilege.

When you have a look at the actual form - it is called "Commercial
filming & photography permit request" (note - *commercial*). I suppose
this is not for non-commercial/private type of photography (which is
my case)...