London Banter

-   -   Fare rises , legalised extortion? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4820-fare-rises-legalised-extortion.html)

Boltar December 28th 06 11:27 AM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

Seems Kuddly Ken has decided that its now fine to charge someone 4 quid
for a single fare via zone 1. I'm presuming that this is to force
people onto Oyster. Or is it perhaps to stop visitors to the city from
using public transport? Possbily a health drive , get them all walking?

Seriously , I don't understand the logic behind this. Wtf is he trying
to achieve? Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster or don't walk to fork out for
one or go to the hassle of getting one just for a short trip. I suspect
quite a few after sampling the pathetic service and sky high prices on
tube might well not bother coming back. Well done Ken.

B2003

Colin Rosenstiel December 28th 06 11:35 AM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In article .com,
(Boltar) wrote:

Seems Kuddly Ken has decided that its now fine to charge someone 4
quid for a single fare via zone 1. I'm presuming that this is to force
people onto Oyster. Or is it perhaps to stop visitors to the city
from using public transport? Possbily a health drive , get them all
walking?

Seriously , I don't understand the logic behind this. Wtf is he
trying to achieve? Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or
visiting businessmen who don't know about Oyster or don't walk to fork
out for one or go to the hassle of getting one just for a short trip. I

suspect quite a few after sampling the pathetic service and sky high
prices on tube might well not bother coming back. Well done Ken.

He's obviously not got through to you to get an Oyster card, has he? I'm
a visitor to London with an Oyster card.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.

[email protected] December 28th 06 12:05 PM

Boltar wrote:
Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster
B2003

Is there anything wrong with this in principle, given especially as the
former are unlikely to have paid the extortionate subsidy that those of
us living in London have to pay to finance public transport?

Marc.

Boltar December 28th 06 12:59 PM

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
He's obviously not got through to you to get an Oyster card, has he? I'm
a visitor to London with an Oyster card.

I've had an oyster card since they first came out funnily enough. And
well done to you for getting a card though since you're a regular on
this group I suspect you already knew about them. I doubt the same can
be said for 99% of tourists who come here however. Do you read up on
the ticketing of the metro and bus systems in every foreign city you
visit before you go in case you get screwed by some megalomanic mayor
and his patsies by not coughing up a deposit beforehand to buy the
local smartcard?

B2003

Boltar December 28th 06 01:04 PM

wrote:

Boltar wrote:
Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster
B2003

Is there anything wrong with this in principle, given especially as the
former are unlikely to have paid the extortionate subsidy that those of
us living in London have to pay to finance public transport?

IMO yes. The fare should be the same no matter how you pay. I don't go
into a shop and have to pay double for a coffee just because I paid
with cash and not a smartcard so why should it apply to the tube and
buses? Also if the mayor wants to stiff tourists why not take it to its
logical conclusion and just charge them an entry fee at airports? As
for subsidies , all public transport is subsidised around the world by
the local population. If you use your argument you might as well say
anyone foreign can't even walk on the pavements here since they didn't
pay the tax to build or maintain them.

B2003

eastender December 28th 06 02:22 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In article . com,
"Boltar" wrote:

I've had an oyster card since they first came out funnily enough. And
well done to you for getting a card though since you're a regular on
this group I suspect you already knew about them. I doubt the same can
be said for 99% of tourists who come here however. Do you read up on
the ticketing of the metro and bus systems in every foreign city you
visit before you go in case you get screwed by some megalomanic mayor
and his patsies by not coughing up a deposit beforehand to buy the
local smartcard?

What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems - why
wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to 'read up' on
them - you can just go to a ticket office or machine and buy one in most
cities I've been to.

E.

Mizter T December 28th 06 04:11 PM

Boltar wrote:

wrote:

Boltar wrote:
[...]

Get an Oyster, use an Oyster, tell your friends and family to do the
same, or be a mug and pay the higher fares.

Regarding foreign visitors to London:
"In partnership with Visit Britain, TfL now offers visitors from
selected countries outside the UK the option to buy an adult Oyster
card before arriving in London."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...7/visitors.asp

With Mayor Ken the price differential is here to stay. If you don't
like it, vote him out. Whether any of the other candidates will offer a
promise to abolish the price differential remains to be seen.

And if you don't live in Greater London and hence can't vote in the
Mayoral elections, then you can always stop coming into London.

Colin Rosenstiel December 28th 06 04:22 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In article ,
(eastender) wrote:

In article . com,
"Boltar" wrote:

I've had an oyster card since they first came out funnily enough.
And well done to you for getting a card though since you're a regular

on this group I suspect you already knew about them. I doubt the
same can be said for 99% of tourists who come here however. Do you
read up on the ticketing of the metro and bus systems in every
foreign city you visit before you go in case you get screwed by some
megalomanic mayor and his patsies by not coughing up a deposit
beforehand to buy the local smartcard?

What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems -
why wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to
'read up' on them - you can just go to a ticket office or machine
and buy one in most cities I've been to.

Precisely. Just regard cash fares as a tax on the ignorant, as in almost
every city in the world.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.

Paul Weaver December 28th 06 05:03 PM

Mizter T wrote:
Get an Oyster, use an Oyster, tell your friends and family to do the
same, or be a mug and pay the higher fares.

Get mugged when you buy an oyster from the theft that originates
1) When they oyster is deducted at the barrier, but the gates don't
open, you get "seek assistance", the gateline ****s force you to touch
the bi-directional paddel, and you have an unresolved journey which
means an annoying and expensive phone call, or a long queue at the only
window left open and hope that the guy is feeling generous enough to
give you your own money back that his company just stole.

2) When the line is suspended, and you exit the same station you just
entered

3) When the line is suspended, and tickets are valid on other routes.
Apart from the fact they aren't, as you have to pay when you get on the
bus

Boltar December 28th 06 06:49 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(eastender) wrote:
What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems -
why wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

'read up' on them - you can just go to a ticket office or machine
and buy one in most cities I've been to.

How many cities have you been too? Can you speak every language in the
world? Try going to the eastern block and asking the babushka at the
ticket office about the fares in english and see what sort of response
you get.

Precisely. Just regard cash fares as a tax on the ignorant, as in almost
every city in the world.

Should be a tax you 2 should be paying then.

B2003

James Farrar December 28th 06 08:17 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

On 28 Dec 2006 11:49:49 -0800, "Boltar"
wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(eastender) wrote:
What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems -
why wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket.

This system penalises people who buy abnormal tickets. Oyster is
normal.

Arthur Figgis December 28th 06 08:25 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

Boltar wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(eastender) wrote:
What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems -
why wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

I can't immediately think of where it was, but I've recently* been
somewhere where it costs more to buy a tram/bus/etc ticket from the
driver than from a kiosk in advance. Admittedly it isn't as dramatic a
difference as the card/cash prices in London, but fare differentials do
exist.

Conversely, in Manila they charge a 2% processing fee for using the
smart card!

(*)so I'd guess Sofia, somewhere in Italy, Innsbruck or Berlin.

'read up' on them - you can just go to a ticket office or machine
and buy one in most cities I've been to.

How many cities have you been too? Can you speak every language in the
world? Try going to the eastern block and asking the babushka at the
ticket office about the fares in english and see what sort of response
you get.

In my experience, as long as you want a bog-standard single ticket,
you'll get a ticket. Often as not there is a fare table on display, so
you can spot a likely-looking product (and ignore the "pregnant war
veterans with dogs and three children travelling on the day after a
public holiday" discounts).

The trickier bit can be working out where zone boundaries are, and
trying to establish if a "Travelcard"-type product is valid 00:01-23:59,
"off peak", or for 24h after issue (or first use).

If you get really stuck, just look for someone under 30 who will
enthusiastically translate as an opportunity to practice their English.
Or, if you know any German, in some places you might have some success
if you find an older person and try speaking German (having first made
clear that you aren't German, it is purely an attempt to find a common
language, and they bombed your granny's house as well, &c &c)

Precisely. Just regard cash fares as a tax on the ignorant, as in almost
every city in the world.

Should be a tax you 2 should be paying then.

B2003

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Colin Rosenstiel December 28th 06 08:40 PM

lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

I can't immediately think of where it was, but I've recently* been
somewhere where it costs more to buy a tram/bus/etc ticket from the
driver than from a kiosk in advance. Admittedly it isn't as
dramatic a difference as the card/cash prices in London, but fare
differentials do exist.

It was the case in Strasbourg in 1985. I agree the differential is the
only real problem. £4 to £1.50 is rather taking the ****.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.

Tom Anderson December 28th 06 09:02 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Boltar wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(eastender) wrote:

What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems - why
wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket.

In London, a paper ticket isn't a normal ticket. Oyster is.

tom

--
If it ain't broke, open it up and see what makes it so bloody special.

Al Holmes December 28th 06 09:05 PM

wrote:

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

Amsterdam - a single fare paid on the tram costs more than if you buy
a 15 or 45 strip strippenkaart.

tim..... December 28th 06 09:18 PM

wrote:

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

Amsterdam - a single fare paid on the tram costs more than if you buy
a 15 or 45 strip strippenkaart.

This is true of any town that has strip tickets.

But it can't be considered to be a 'normal' ticket because
it's not possible to make seven and a half journeys.

tim

[email protected] December 28th 06 11:07 PM

Boltar wrote:

wrote:

Boltar wrote:
[...]

Well that is - the fare being the same however paid - a very alien
concept to public transport anyway, isn't it?

Is not the very essenceof a "season ticket" (which then became
Travelcards and are now, to all intents and purposes, Oyster cards) a
pre-payment with the consequent fare reductions that follow from the
service provider having our money up front? Or, do you seriously
suggest that season-ticket holders (for which read Oyster card holders)
should have to pay the exact same fare according to the exact number of
journeys made because that is precisely what the cash-fare-payer would
have to pay? In the same way that you take my example to its logical
but ludicrous extreme, so can yours.

And, with respect, your example about cards in shops is not entirely
accurate: there are many store cards which offer their customers
discounts of one sort or another. I once bought 2 suits in Burton and
the tailor advised me to apply for a Burton card there and then, which
I did, which entitled me to a 20% discount! I never used it since, but
was certainly not going to turn down a £200 discount just for filling
in a short form, and using their credit card instead of one I already
had or a cheque.

Your suggestion of charging tourists to use the pavement is slightly
ludicrous, but are you suggesting that tourists should be able to use
the N.H.S. or claim State benefits here? Or, should their stay include
termtime, should their children be entitled to a few weeks' free
schooling at the local comp.?

Moreover, as has been adequately dealt with in other contributions to
this thread, those wishing to use Oyster cards are well-catered for,
and there is widespread publicity.

They say there's no disciple like the converted - if you have read some
of my earlier contributions, you will realise that I was originally
very opposed to Oyster. I have now used it for 3 or 4 months and am
most decidedly a convert!

Marc.

Tom Anderson December 29th 06 12:37 AM

On Fri, 28 Dec 2006, wrote:

Boltar wrote:

wrote:

Boltar wrote:

Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster

Is there anything wrong with this in principle, given especially as
the former are unlikely to have paid the extortionate subsidy that
those of us living in London have to pay to finance public transport?

If you use your argument you might as well say anyone foreign can't
even walk on the pavements here since they didn't pay the tax to build
or maintain them.

Your suggestion of charging tourists to use the pavement is slightly
ludicrous, but are you suggesting that tourists should be able to use
the N.H.S. or claim State benefits here?

The NHS is probably a poor example, since tourists *do* get treatment
here, if they need it.

tom

--
Hier gaan over het tij, de wind, de maan en wij.

Al Holmes December 29th 06 06:52 AM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:18:06 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

Amsterdam - a single fare paid on the tram costs more than if you buy
a 15 or 45 strip strippenkaart.

This is true of any town that has strip tickets.

But it can't be considered to be a 'normal' ticket because
it's not possible to make seven and a half journeys.

tim

Of course it's a normal ticket - you have assumed that every journey
only uses two strips. Everyone I know who travels from the UK to
A'dam buys (or already possesses) a strippenkaart. Just like people
visiting to London will buy (or already possess) an Oyster over time.

Anyway, it's possible to make seven one-zone journeys with a 15 strip
ticket and that would still be cheaper than paying the conductor for
seven individual journeys.

tim..... December 29th 06 09:18 AM

"Al Holmes" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:18:06 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

Amsterdam - a single fare paid on the tram costs more than if you buy
a 15 or 45 strip strippenkaart.

This is true of any town that has strip tickets.

But it can't be considered to be a 'normal' ticket because
it's not possible to make seven and a half journeys.

tim

Of course it's a normal ticket

But its not a normal single ride ticket.

- you have assumed that every journey
only uses two strips. Everyone I know who travels from the UK to
A'dam buys (or already possesses) a strippenkaart.

Rubbish.

Only somone expecting to make the requisite
number of journeys will buy the ticket (and not all
of them). For someone expecting to make less,
the ticket will be wasted.

I suspect most tourists will buy a 1, 2 or 3 day pass.

Just like people
visiting to London will buy (or already possess) an Oyster over time.

The cash on an Oyster card doesn't expire, strip cards usually
do (I've no idea about the dutch ones).

Anyway, it's possible to make seven one-zone journeys with a 15 strip
ticket and that would still be cheaper than paying the conductor for
seven individual journeys.

So what. The issue in question is whether the fare it
generates for the journey is the normal fare, not whether
it gives a discount (which I accept that it does).

tim

Boltar December 29th 06 09:41 AM

Tom Anderson wrote:
In London, a paper ticket isn't a normal ticket. Oyster is.

Try putting a one day travelcard on an Oyster. Oh hold on , you can't.

Sorry , what were you saying?

B2003

Boltar December 29th 06 09:48 AM

wrote:
service provider having our money up front? Or, do you seriously
suggest that season-ticket holders (for which read Oyster card holders)
should have to pay the exact same fare according to the exact number of
journeys made because that is precisely what the cash-fare-payer would
have to pay? In the same way that you take my example to its logical
but ludicrous extreme, so can yours.

Buying a season ticket is the same as buying in bulk and that usually
gets a discount in most types of transactions whether its a paper
season ticket on an Oyster. My issue is that buying a normal ticket and
buying the SAME type of ticket on Oyster have such a price differential
simply to force you to have an Oyster card.

the tailor advised me to apply for a Burton card there and then, which
I did, which entitled me to a 20% discount! I never used it since, but
was certainly not going to turn down a £200 discount just for filling
in a short form, and using their credit card instead of one I already
had or a cheque.

If you didn't want to pay the higher price for cash you always have the
alternative to go down the road to the next shop. Whats the alternative
option of public transport in london?

They say there's no disciple like the converted - if you have read some
of my earlier contributions, you will realise that I was originally
very opposed to Oyster. I have now used it for 3 or 4 months and am
most decidedly a convert!

Bully for you. I don't have an issue with the card itself , its very
convenient, I've had one myself since they came out (not that I had
much choice in the matter). I have an issue with them stiffing visitors
to the city simply because they DONT have an oyster card. Its counter
productive and just petty spiteful beaurocracy.

B2003

Arthur Figgis December 29th 06 10:37 AM

wrote:

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

Amsterdam - a single fare paid on the tram costs more than if you buy
a 15 or 45 strip strippenkaart.
This is true of any town that has strip tickets.

But it can't be considered to be a 'normal' ticket because
it's not possible to make seven and a half journeys.

tim

Of course it's a normal ticket

But its not a normal single ride ticket.

Some places don't do simple single ride tickets, just timed tickets -
Poznan has a range starting at 10min validity, 60 or 90min are fairly
common.

snip
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

sweek December 29th 06 10:38 AM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

I think Oyster really is tourist-friendly. When I'm leaving the
Netherlands I'm not going to get the value left on my strippenkaart
back, but a tourist in London can just hand in his Oyster and get his
£3 deposit + any value left on it return. Next to that, Oyster cards
never expire which the Dutch strippenkaart does.
I hope the complete switch isn't far off. What happens if a tourist
goes up to the ticket window and asks what might be the best option for
him if he's staying here for a week, for example? Are staff instructed
to tell them about the advantages of Oyster?

Some even more clear signs aimed at tourists at the stations that they
usually enter London through (All the terminal stations and Heathrow /
LCY basically) might make it a bit more clear.

solar penguin December 29th 06 10:43 AM

Mizter T wrote:

Get an Oyster, use an Oyster, tell your friends and family to do the
same, or be a mug and pay the higher fares.

I had an Oyster once. I bought it because everyone said "Oh they're so
great!" But I ever only needed to use it two or three times in the two
years I had it. Then next time I tried to use it, it just plain didn't
work at all. The card had just died, and wouldn't respond to the
readers. And I still had nearly five quid on it!

I suppose I should have tried to register it, and sent off to get a
replacement. But why bother for something I never use and probably
won't work anyway...? Far simpler just to write my five pounds off as
lost to the system.

And in the the year since it's broken down, I've only _once_ been in a
situation where I could have saved any money by using Oyster. I'd
probably lose more money on faulty cards in the long run...

So I _will_ be telling my friends and family to do the same, and stay
well clear of Oyster. It's the most useless and over-rated piece of
technology ever inflicted on the travelling public. And the sooner
we're rid of it the better.

solar penguin December 29th 06 10:51 AM

sweek wrote:

I think Oyster really is tourist-friendly. When I'm leaving the
Netherlands I'm not going to get the value left on my strippenkaart
back, but a tourist in London can just hand in his Oyster and get his
£3 deposit + any value left on it return.

You can't get the three quid deposit back on a card that's so faulty
it's totally unreadable. I'm speaking from first hand experience here.

eastender December 29th 06 11:48 AM

Boltar wrote:

I have an issue with them stiffing visitors
to the city simply because they DONT have an oyster card. Its counter
productive and just petty spiteful beaurocracy.

Still frothing I see. Now let's see... it takes the same time to buy an
Oyster at the ticket window as anything else, and of course you can also buy
a travelcard, which most other transit systems provide. If you go to New
York, you'd be mad not to buy a daily or weekly Metrocard, and their pay as
you go system also has a free trip incentive. I've been to many European
cities recently and never had a problem, but I do agree most are much
cheaper for single tickets than LU, but this has been the case for a long
time.

And buying the odd single full cash fare is not going to bankrupt anyone,
while the great incentive to move to a cashless, ticketless ystem is
obvioulsy working.

E.

Tom Anderson December 29th 06 12:10 PM

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Boltar wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

In London, a paper ticket isn't a normal ticket. Oyster is.

Try putting a one day travelcard on an Oyster. Oh hold on , you can't.

Sorry , what were you saying?

I was saying that Oyster is the normal form of ticket. Which it is.

tom

--
It's just really ****ing good and that's all. -- Gabe, on the Macintosh

Boltar December 29th 06 12:23 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:

In London, a paper ticket isn't a normal ticket. Oyster is.

Try putting a one day travelcard on an Oyster. Oh hold on , you can't.

Sorry , what were you saying?

I was saying that Oyster is the normal form of ticket. Which it is.

For season ticket holders yes it is , but people who are here just for
a day or 2 and want to tour the city will want 1 day travelcards which
Osyer doesn't support. Sure , you can use it in prepay mode but you'll
pay through the nose if you make more than a few journeys whereas a
travelcard is a one off cost. Though knowing Ken & Tfl I suspect thats
the whole point - prepay brings in more revenue. Wouldn't surprise me
if the 1 day travelcard ceases to exist in the next few years and the
clock will roll back to 1985 where you only had the choice of singles
or returns (which is all prepay is at the end of the day).

B2003

solar penguin December 29th 06 12:47 PM

Boltar wrote:

For season ticket holders yes it is , but people who are here just for
a day or 2 and want to tour the city will want 1 day travelcards which
Osyer doesn't support.

And what about people who live in London but don't use season tickets?
Or who use point-to-point NR seasons with no travelcard/tube/bus/zonal
options?

Oyster is next-to-useless for us too.

Though knowing Ken & Tfl I suspect thats
the whole point - prepay brings in more revenue. Wouldn't surprise me
if the 1 day travelcard ceases to exist in the next few years and the
clock will roll back to 1985 where you only had the choice of singles
or returns (which is all prepay is at the end of the day).

I'd be in favour of that if they were dirt-cheap returns and singles,
cheaper than one day travelcards because you're not paying for
unnecessary bus journeys, but implemented using proven tried-and-tested
technology like paper and cardboard, not unreliable new-fangled smart
cards that break down after you've only used them two or three times!

solar penguin December 29th 06 12:51 PM

eastender wrote:

Still frothing I see. Now let's see... it takes the same time to buy an
Oyster at the ticket window as anything else, and of course you can also buy
a travelcard, which most other transit systems provide.

Actually no. It take longer, because my local NR station doesn't sell
Oysters at all. The nearest newsagent which does is a quarter of a
mile walk away!

eastender December 29th 06 01:10 PM

solar penguin wrote:

Actually no. It take longer, because my local NR station doesn't sell
Oysters at all. The nearest newsagent which does is a quarter of a
mile walk away!

And how many tourists are beamed down to enter the UK at your NR station? In any
case, this is another issue.

E.

Paul Terry December 29th 06 01:12 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In message .com,
Boltar writes

Sure , you can use it in prepay mode but you'll pay through the nose if
you make more than a few journeys whereas a travelcard is a one off
cost.

PAYG is capped at or below the rate of the equivalent one-day travel
card and is therefore generally the cheaper alternative.
--
Paul Terry

[email protected] December 29th 06 01:20 PM

[...]

Since I moved from the South East, I only go to London about once a
month now, and since I got my Oyster in Feburary, every trip, bar 1 I
have had a problem on.

First time, the gates weren't working at Tott Ct Rd and I got an
unresolved jrny (charged 50p too much), another time I had an odd
journey: -
"Canary Wharf - Unfinished
Unstarted - Cockfosters" - ended up being overcharged by 50p
One time, I was interchanging between NR and LU at Elephant & Castle,
and didn't realise they were 2 separate stations, so didn't touch out
when leaving NR station - paid another 50p.
My last trip. Due to Overcrowding at Bond St (IIRC), they were exiting
everyone by the Fire exit - couldn't touch out, and ended up with a 70p
charge. Later on the same day, I did a journey Westminster - Canary
Wharf, Heron Quays - Cockfosters. It got put down as Westminster -
Heron Quays, and Unstarted - Cockfosters, paid another 50p.

And the ripoff about it - trying to call their phoneline would almost
certaintly end up costing more than the 50p you've lost, so most people
(Including me) don't bother.

On the last occasion, I went to the Ticketoffice to see if he could fix
it, he seemed bemused about all of my problems, and said "That's Oyster
for you" - which sums it up nicely for me.

eastender December 29th 06 01:21 PM

Boltar wrote:

but people who are here just for a day or 2 and want to tour the city will
want 1 day travelcards which Osyer doesn't support.

Wrong - pre-pay Oyster caps at a cheaper rate than travelcards.

E.

solar penguin December 29th 06 01:28 PM

eastender wrote:

solar penguin wrote:

Actually no. It take longer, because my local NR station doesn't sell
Oysters at all. The nearest newsagent which does is a quarter of a
mile walk away!

And how many tourists are beamed down to enter the UK at your NR station? In any
case, this is another issue.

Tourists? What the **** have tourists got to do with anything? It's
bad enough that TfL want Londoners like me to switch to to this almost
useless, _completely unrealiable_ technology, and that those of us with
the common sense to prefer reliable, tried-and-tested, old-fashioned
technology _that actually works_ are expected to pay extra to subsidise
those idiots who were stupid enough to rush in and embrace this dodgy,
faulty, new option before its time.

And now you're saying the reason that we've got to put up with it is
because it might be better for tourist scum who shouldn't even be
polluting our country with their presence in the first place!

Call me a stagnant old stick-in-the-mud if you like, but I really do
believe TfL and friends should be looking after the interests of people
who actually _vote_ for them!

Earl Purple December 29th 06 01:31 PM

eastender wrote:
solar penguin wrote:

Actually no. It take longer, because my local NR station doesn't sell
Oysters at all. The nearest newsagent which does is a quarter of a
mile walk away!

And how many tourists are beamed down to enter the UK at your NR station? In any
case, this is another issue.

If the tourist lands at Gatwick? I assume you can't buy Oyster Cards at
Gatwick.

tim..... December 29th 06 01:34 PM

"eastender" wrote in message
Boltar wrote:

but people who are here just for a day or 2 and want to tour the city
will
want 1 day travelcards which Osyer doesn't support.

Wrong - pre-pay Oyster caps at a cheaper rate than travelcards.

Only if one doesn't want to use NR

tim

solar penguin December 29th 06 01:40 PM

wrote:

On the last occasion, I went to the Ticketoffice to see if he could fix
it, he seemed bemused about all of my problems, and said "That's Oyster
for you" - which sums it up nicely for me.

Exactly. I'm starting to get a theory that some people are just
magically lucky when it comes to new hi-tech gadgets. The equipment
just always works _perfectly_ for them, while the rest of us have to
struggle with all sorts of errors and failures and crashes and bugs and
breakdowns.

Of course, the magically lucky elite have an unfair advantage over the
rest of us -- and they don't even know it. That's why they see no
problems in forcing us to use the advanced technology that works for
them, even though we would be _much_ better off sticking with older,
more reliable technology that we're comfortable with.

Oysters are just one example of this. But the problem's everywhere!

Colin Rosenstiel December 29th 06 02:14 PM

Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In article .com, solar
(solar penguin) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

If you want to throw your money away, it is of course your inalienable
right to do so. However, why didn't you go to a ticket office?

I use my Oyster pretty infrequently (about 10 journeys in 2006) and it
works fine technically.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.