Old January 20th 07, 06:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria line Terminal stations

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Surely just for local heating in the depot? we tend to forget nowadays
just how much infrastructure there was for delivering coal to domestic
and business properties until about 40 years ago or less.

No. The Waterloo & City Line predates the national grid (it opened in
1898). Electricity to run the trains was generated by a small power
station in the depot, and coal was delivered there using wagons brought
along the Waterloo mainline and lowered by lift.

Old January 20th 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Henry writes
martyn dawe wrote:
Although there is (well, was 10 years ago) a turntable in the
[W&C] depot, but not big enough for a whole carriage.

What's the point of that, then?

The turntable was a for coal wagons when the line had a coal fired power
station, the wagons cam down on a separate lift.

I can just just about believe you might need to turn coal wagons
round, if the coal has to be tipped out of one end... but I can't
believe said power station would need the coal to be delivered
along the Drain!

Have I missed something, or are you winding us up?

Henry

Its min wikipedia, perhaps the wagon had to be turned after coming down
on the list( called the |abbots lift). ?
--
martyn dawe