Old January 7th 07, 10:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Victoria line Terminal stations

At Brixton and Walthamstow Central stations there are no buffers, but the
track appears to wander into the distance.
At brixton there appears to be a curve.

Where do these tracks go?
How long is the length of the exess at Brixton and Walthamstow?

Old January 7th 07, 11:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Raymond Kirk" wrote in message
At Brixton and Walthamstow Central stations there are no buffers, but the
track appears to wander into the distance.
At brixton there appears to be a curve.

Where do these tracks go?
How long is the length of the exess at Brixton and Walthamstow?

Have a butchers 'ere

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/

Old January 7th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

4sub wrote:
"Raymond Kirk" wrote in message
At Brixton and Walthamstow Central stations there are no buffers, but the
track appears to wander into the distance.
At brixton there appears to be a curve.

Where do these tracks go?
How long is the length of the exess at Brixton and Walthamstow?

Have a butchers 'ere

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/

Interesting site. This section should help the OP.

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/vi...20diagrams.htm

--
gordon

Old January 7th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Raymond Kirk" wrote in message
thanks for that. I find it confusing! Can someone please explain it to me
in laymans terms.

wrote in message
ups.com...

4sub wrote:
"Raymond Kirk" wrote in message
At Brixton and Walthamstow Central stations there are no buffers, but
the
track appears to wander into the distance.
At brixton there appears to be a curve.

Where do these tracks go?
How long is the length of the exess at Brixton and Walthamstow?

Have a butchers 'ere

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/

Interesting site. This section should help the OP.

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/vi...20diagrams.htm

--
gordon

It would appear that there is space to stable a train in both roads at both
ends of the line and the pit road could enable a fitter to work under a
train as well.

Old January 7th 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(4sub) wrote:

"Raymond Kirk" wrote in message
At Brixton and Walthamstow Central stations there are no buffers,
but the track appears to wander into the distance.
At brixton there appears to be a curve.

Where do these tracks go?
How long is the length of the exess at Brixton and Walthamstow?

Have a butchers 'ere

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/

Can you give a more precise link? I couldn't find anything there about
the Victoria line overrun tunnels.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 7th 07, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:17:54 -0000, "Raymond Kirk"
wrote:

wrote in message
Interesting site. This section should help the OP.

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/vi...20diagrams.htm

--
gordon

thanks for that. I find it confusing! Can someone please explain it to me in
laymans terms.

In essence there are lengths of track that run on beyond the normal ends
of the platforms at both Brixton and Walthamstow. There are protective
signals / switch points to stop a train in the overrun tunnels reaching
the normal platform areas.

Where it says "pit" then there is a sunken area under the rails which
would allow access for a train technician / fitter to the underside of
the trains.

At Walthamstow the tunnels run for a considerable distance - I
understand that they almost reach to Wood Street station but I don't
know how close to the surface they reach or whether the remain at the
same depth as at Walthamstow Central. I don't know how far they go
beyond Brixton station.

I think the telephone symbols indicate the existence of a signal post
telephone which the driver could use to speak to the line controller.

There certainly used to be a scheduled move into and out of the tunnels
at Walthamstow as I used to catch a train that came out of the overrun.
It was novel watching people's faces when a train arrived from a
completely unexpected direction. If trains become defective but can
still be moved then sometimes they will be shoved into the overrun
tunnel until such time as it is easier and less disruptive to take the
train back to Seven Sisters to get into Northumberland Park depot. I
understand engineer's trains have been parked in Victoria and Brixton
sidings in recent days.
--
Paul C

Old January 7th 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Raymond Kirk
writes

I find it confusing! Can someone please explain it to me in
laymans terms.

The line continues beyond the platform ends at both terminii for two
reasons. During normal service hours they provide an over-run so that if
for any reason the normal stopping and safety procedures fail, trains
don't immediately run into a solid wall.

But their main purpose, certainly at Brixton (where the over-run tunnels
are 1200 feet in length) is to provide over-night stabling for trains so
that the service can begin with a reasonably frequent service in the
early morning without having to wait for trains to make their way from
the Northumberland Park depot.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 7th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Raymond Kirk wrote:
At Brixton and Walthamstow Central stations there are no buffers, but the
track appears to wander into the distance.
At brixton there appears to be a curve.

Where do these tracks go?
How long is the length of the exess at Brixton and Walthamstow?

The final "Badger Railtours" trip we ran a few years back ("The darker
side of touring") ran into the tunnels at both ends as well as many
zany crossovers, the depot at Northumbeland Park and the reversing
sidings at Kings Cross and Victoria.

I believe that the BLS or someone similar did one also ?

Fat Richard

Old January 7th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 7/1/07 19:18, "Paul Terry" wrote:

But their main purpose, certainly at Brixton (where the over-run tunnels
are 1200 feet in length) is to provide over-night stabling for trains so
that the service can begin with a reasonably frequent service in the
early morning without having to wait for trains to make their way from
the Northumberland Park depot.

JOOI, why can't they stable trains overnight in the Brixton platforms?