Old August 8th 03, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wanna be cool? Take the tube!

Matthew Malthouse writes
} http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ONTRANSPORTHea
} ttu11tubeairc

"the page you have requested is currently unavailable. Please try
again."

Oh well, it was taken from a post a few weeks ago and was working then.

--
Dave

Old August 8th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
505 505 is offline

"K" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:43:28 +0100, CJG
wrote:

In message , Robin Mayes
writes
It appears the tube is actually cooler than mainline trains

I think thousands of people would disagree with that.

Well my journey home incldes the Jubilee line and a mainline train
from Waterloo - the Jubilee line isn't too bad but the M/L train is
like an oven!

Although the new trains on the Reading line from Waterloo are like a fridge.
Lovely!

Old August 8th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , 505
writes

Although the new trains on the Reading line from Waterloo are like a fridge.
Lovely!

My office is like a fridge. I keep a cardigan I bought before xmas over
the chair back so I can keep warm. There's even an 'office jumper' for
anyone who forgets to bring something cosy to wear. It's nice going
outside on the street at lunch to defrost my toes.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old August 8th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In New York City, the trains have ac and they dump the heat into the
tunnels which are well vented.

Not only are the tunnels much bigger than the tube but they are also
much shallower - so that the many gratings in the roadway can be used to
vent hot air.

I really know next to nothing about air-con systems, but I take it the
moisture in the air is condensed somewhere and collected as water - am I
about right?

Why not, then, have a system of pipes on each train, and a big tank at the
end to collect the water, which would be emptied out at various times during
the day (whilst stopped at stations - surely they could implement such a
system?).

The heat, of course, is another issue.

Peter

Old August 8th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
AstraVanMan writes

I really know next to nothing about air-con systems, but I take it the
moisture in the air is condensed somewhere and collected as water - am I
about right?

Correct.

Why not, then, have a system of pipes on each train, and a big tank at the
end to collect the water, which would be emptied out at various times during
the day (whilst stopped at stations - surely they could implement such a
system?).

Where would you site the dehumidifier? It's not the size of a matchbox
for the amount of work required. Where would the pipes run between the
carriages? You want to build in infrastructure to empty water tanks in
platforms? Who's job would it be to empty the tanks?

Myriad of problems fitting it to existing stock. I saw start with the
stations - at least there would be a blast of cold air into the carriage
at each stop and the technology is more or less off the shelf. Still
doesn't get round the space problem I mentioned earlier.

The heat, of course, is another issue.

Sure is........
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old August 9th 03, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , j
writes
does anyone know if any underground train/public transport systems in Europe
are air conditioned?

The stations on the Helsinki underground are, Stockholm too IIRC. Lisbon
underground stations certainly are.
Old August 9th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:08:30 +0100, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

The stations on the Helsinki underground are, Stockholm too IIRC. Lisbon
underground stations certainly are.

Merseyrail (Liverpool) isn't - but for some odd reason the tunnels are
always much cooler than the outside temperature. I would guess this
would have to do with the loading gauge (more or less full main-line
size - not to mention the hugely impressive and cavernous James St
station), and possibly its position in relation to the water table
providing some cooling?

It is reputed that a recently-refurbished Merseyrail unit has been
fitted with aircon, but I haven't seen confirmation of this so I'm not
sure where it will lead.

Similarly, Hamburg's U-bahn is not air-conditioned, but despite being
close to the surface the stations are generally at a reasonable
temperature.

Neil