Old March 31st 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default London Bridge signals question

Was at London Bridge the other day platform 6 waiting for a Bedford
train watching trains pass through the platform and noticed that
signal L100 which appears as a 2 aspect but actually capable of
showing double yellow had a indicator box at side which was showing CD
this then changed to RA the signal was showing the same aspects during
the time the sign changed. anyone explain what this was etc.

Old March 31st 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
oups.com...
Was at London Bridge the other day platform 6 waiting for a Bedford
train watching trains pass through the platform and noticed that
signal L100 which appears as a 2 aspect but actually capable of
showing double yellow had a indicator box at side which was showing CD
this then changed to RA the signal was showing the same aspects during
the time the sign changed. anyone explain what this was etc.

Most of ther trains which use this platform are Driver Only Operated, so
platform staff have to assist in dispatching trains (see other thread). When
station work is complete, the dispatcher turns a switch which turns the 'CD'
display on, telling the driver to 'Close Doors'. When the doors are closed
and the orange indicator lights on the train have akll gone out, the
dispatcher will turn the switch, to extinguish the 'CD' display and
illuminate the 'RA', telling the driver 'Right Away'.

Is the 'RA' indicator interlocked with the signal, so that it cannot be
displayed if the signal is at red?

Presumably the signal itself uses an LED display, so that the upper head can
display green or yellow, and the lower head yellow or red, and the signal as
a whole can display all four aspects R, Y, YY, and G.

Peter

Old March 31st 07, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 31 Mar, 16:46, "Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... Was at London Bridge the other day platform 6 waiting for a Bedford
[...]

Thanks must go to the back of the class should have worked it out.

Old March 31st 07, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

Presumably the signal itself uses an LED display, so that the upper head
can
display green or yellow, and the lower head yellow or red, and the signal
as
a whole can display all four aspects R, Y, YY, and G.

I think I read somewhere that both heads can display red, but that normally
the lower one is used for red. The upper head can be used in emergency to
display red if the lower one has failed for any reason. BICBW.

Regards

Jonathan

Old March 31st 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
G G is offline

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:45:52 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

RA = right away. Instruction to the driver of single-manned trains,
initiated by a plunger pressed by platform staff, that the doors are closed,
all of the door open lights are extinguished and the train is clear to
depart.

I've seen RA indicators at Manchester Victoria, where there are no
single manned trains. Are they serving the same purpose?

And, while I'm in obvious (but not to me) question mode, above the
signals are larger ones that occasionally display U B in two boxes.
Why?
Old March 31st 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , G
writes
I've seen RA indicators at Manchester Victoria, where there are no
single manned trains. Are they serving the same purpose?

And, while I'm in obvious (but not to me) question mode, above the
signals are larger ones that occasionally display U B in two boxes.
Why?

They are telling the driver which route he's going to take (so he knows
which speed restrictions apply and which is the next signal to obey).
Normally I would suggest it's short for "Up Bolton", but Quail tells me
that all directions from Man Vic are Down, and there's no Bolton line
leaving the station.

["U" is normally "Up". Going "wrong road" is normally shown with an
"X".]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old March 31st 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
G G is offline

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:27:41 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

And, while I'm in obvious (but not to me) question mode, above the
signals are larger ones that occasionally display U B in two boxes.
Why?

They are telling the driver which route he's going to take (so he knows
which speed restrictions apply and which is the next signal to obey).
Normally I would suggest it's short for "Up Bolton", but Quail tells me
that all directions from Man Vic are Down, and there's no Bolton line
leaving the station.

["U" is normally "Up". Going "wrong road" is normally shown with an
"X".]

No, it's definitely not Bolton. The indicators are on the eastbound
signals.
Old March 31st 07, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

And, while I'm in obvious (but not to me) question mode, above the
signals are larger ones that occasionally display U B in two boxes.
Why?

They are telling the driver which route he's going to take (so he
knows which speed restrictions apply and which is the next signal to
obey). Normally I would suggest it's short for "Up Bolton", but
Quail tells me that all directions from Man Vic are Down, and
there's no Bolton line leaving the station.

["U" is normally "Up". Going "wrong road" is normally shown with an
"X".]

No, it's definitely not Bolton. The indicators are on the eastbound
signals.

I can't help you on that one, either. According to Quail, the eastbound
lines are Up/Down Rochdale Fast/Slow. I haven't got an old Quail to hand
but, pre-Metrolink, the Bury lines might have been Up/Down Bury - these days
they are simply known as Inbound and Outbound and are not governed by the
same signalling system, in any case.

Old April 1st 07, 02:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 31 Mar, 23:27, "Clive D. W. Feather" c...@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk wrote:

They are telling the driver which route he's going to take (so he knows
which speed restrictions apply and which is the next signal to obey).

And normally known as 'theatre type route indicators'. Except that in
the report into an accident at Euston in 1949, the inspecting officer
describes them as 'a route indicator of the music hall type'.

Was this a generally used term at one time, or is the inspecting
officer simply confused?

The report is available on the Railways Archive site, at:

http://tinyurl.com/3xkk2n

The reference is in paragraph 2.