Old May 18th 07, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford Street Trams - again

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 17 May 2007, Boltar wrote:

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...

quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that
Cumberland Gate is in a lousy location!

and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the name
Ossulstone back into common use ...

Be good as a solitary world on the DDA-compliant destination screens of
buses on - say - the 159.......

Be even funnier if it was the destination of the 100. ;-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old May 18th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
. uk...
On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:51:42AM -0700, Boltar wrote:
On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station
Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now
and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

I bet that we'll continue to call the place Marble Arch even after the
arch has gone, in the same way as the Strand wasn't renamed after it was
no longer the riverbank.

Are you saying it wasn't erected there to commemorate the invention of the
game of marbles?

Of course it was. By Lord Elgin, as I recall.

Old May 18th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...

quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that Cumberland
Gate is in a lousy location!

and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has already
been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its old name of
Tyburn , who knows!

That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the name
Ossulstone back into common use ...

Be good as a solitary world

I assume you mean 'word' here, although now you mention it, perhaps
campaigning to have the first British-discovered exoplanet named
Ossulstone might be a better and/or yet more crackpot plan ...

on the DDA-compliant destination screens of buses on - say - the
159.......

Be even funnier if it was the destination of the 100. ;-)

Have to confess that my lack of knowledge of buses means this joke is
completely lost on me :'(.

tom

--
Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.
Old May 18th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...

quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that
Cumberland Gate is in a lousy location!

Since the congestion charge might have polarised most traffic along the
Edgware Road / Park Lane axis, I wonder if the gyratory should be
abolished.

APPROVED.

tom

--
Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.
Old May 18th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...
quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station
Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that
Cumberland Gate is in a lousy location!

and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to
its old name of Tyburn , who knows!
That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the
name Ossulstone back into common use ...

Be good as a solitary world

I assume you mean 'word' here,

I did!

although now you mention it, perhaps campaigning to have the first
British-discovered exoplanet named Ossulstone might be a better and/or
yet more crackpot plan ...

on the DDA-compliant destination screens of buses on - say - the
159.......

Be even funnier if it was the destination of the 100. ;-)

Have to confess that my lack of knowledge of buses means this joke is
completely lost on me :'(.

Sorry, a bit too subtly.

Ossulstone was the name of the "Hundred" which covered what is now
Central London in Mediaeval times. ("Hundreds" were the ancient
subdivisions of counties and usually had names which are totally lost
today. Birmingham was in "Hemlingford, for examples, much of South
Staffordshire "Offlow" and so on.)

Old May 19th 07, 02:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

to bring the name Ossulstone back into common use ...

Do you know there is an Ossulston St in Somers Town, and an Ossington St in
Notting Hill Gate?

Old May 19th 07, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 May 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

to bring the name Ossulstone back into common use ...

Do you know there is an Ossulston St in Somers Town,

Yes.

and an Ossington St in Notting Hill Gate?

No.

The cycle route from Bloomsburyish up to Camden goes along Ossulston St,
which is one of the reasons i've remembered the name.

tom

--
Orange paint menace
Old May 19th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes
On Fri, 18 May 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Boltar wrote:

Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its old name of
Tyburn , who knows!

That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the
name Ossulstone back into common use ...

Be good as a solitary world on the DDA-compliant destination screens
of buses on - say - the 159.......

Be even funnier if it was the destination of the 100. ;-)

Have to confess that my lack of knowledge of buses means this joke is
completely lost on me :'(.

Sorry, a bit too subtly.

Ossulstone was the name of the "Hundred"

Oh, i see. Sorry, i was caught up thinking it was something bus-specific!

which covered what is now Central London in Mediaeval times.
("Hundreds" were the ancient subdivisions of counties and usually had
names which are totally lost today. Birmingham was in "Hemlingford, for
examples, much of South Staffordshire "Offlow" and so on.)

Where i grew up, the water board was Tendring Hundred Water, so i am well
familiar with the term. I wonder how many other things named after
hundreds are still around?

tom

--
Orange paint menace
Old May 19th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
[...]

Ones that spring to mind as place names in everyday use which were
originally Hundreds a

Wirral (Cheshire)
High Peak (Derbyshire)
Becontree (Essex)

there are bound to be others.

Old May 23rd 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Sat, 19 May 2007 18:26:09 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
[...]

Brixton, Godalming, Edmonton, Isleworth, Kingston, Elthorne (as in
'Hanwell & Elthorne' station on the Great Western line)
to name just a few local ones.

--
Fig