Old May 20th 07, 07:30 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Don't have coffee before riding the L.A. Metro Gold Line.

In message , at 21:43:59 on
Sat, 19 May 2007, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
"Toilet" here refers to the device itself,

Same in UK.

not the room it's located in,

Dual use in the UK. Although often used in the plural as in "where are
the toilets" - eg "where is the room with the toilets in".

You Brits do the same thing with "WC"; we haven't managed to shed all
the vestiges of your prudishness, even after 231 years...

"WC" like "Public Conveniences" (which in some parts of the South USA
I've heard called "The Necessary") seems to have fallen into disuse in
the UK over the last generation, and is now rarely heard, nor seen on a
sign.

Old May 20th 07, 09:18 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:30:29 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 21:43:59 on
Sat, 19 May 2007, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
"Toilet" here refers to the device itself,

Same in UK.

not the room it's located in,

Dual use in the UK. Although often used in the plural as in "where are
the toilets" - eg "where is the room with the toilets in".

You Brits do the same thing with "WC"; we haven't managed to shed all
the vestiges of your prudishness, even after 231 years...

"WC" like "Public Conveniences" (which in some parts of the South USA
I've heard called "The Necessary") seems to have fallen into disuse in
the UK over the last generation, and is now rarely heard, nor seen on a
sign.

It is seen on plenty of signs, it is the prescribed symbol for use on
several varieties.
Old May 20th 07, 10:29 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

In message , at 21:43:59 on
Sat, 19 May 2007, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
"Toilet" here refers to the device itself,

Same in UK.

not the room it's located in,

Dual use in the UK. Although often used in the plural as in "where are
the toilets" - eg "where is the room with the toilets in".

You Brits do the same thing with "WC"; we haven't managed to shed all
the vestiges of your prudishness, even after 231 years...

"WC" like "Public Conveniences" (which in some parts of the South USA
I've heard called "The Necessary") seems to have fallen into disuse in
the UK over the last generation, and is now rarely heard, nor seen on a
sign.

It is seen on plenty of signs, it is the prescribed symbol for use on
several varieties.

Why not just call it "the lavatory"?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old May 20th 07, 11:43 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

In message , at 21:43:59 on
Sat, 19 May 2007, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
"Toilet" here refers to the device itself,
Same in UK.

not the room it's located in,
Dual use in the UK. Although often used in the plural as in "where are
the toilets" - eg "where is the room with the toilets in".

You Brits do the same thing with "WC"; we haven't managed to shed all
the vestiges of your prudishness, even after 231 years...
"WC" like "Public Conveniences" (which in some parts of the South USA
I've heard called "The Necessary") seems to have fallen into disuse in
the UK over the last generation, and is now rarely heard, nor seen on a
sign.

It is seen on plenty of signs, it is the prescribed symbol for use on
several varieties.

Why not just call it "the lavatory"?

1 - it would take up too much room on the above signs
2 - if you're really desperate, it takes too long to say it
3 - like a "toilet", a lavatory doesn't necessarily contain a WC or a
urinal
Old May 21st 07, 06:27 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 22:18:23 on
Sun, 20 May 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
"WC" like "Public Conveniences" (which in some parts of the South USA
I've heard called "The Necessary") seems to have fallen into disuse in
the UK over the last generation, and is now rarely heard, nor seen on a
sign.

It is seen on plenty of signs, it is the prescribed symbol for use on
several varieties.

Most new signs seem to say either "Toilet", or have the Man/Woman
symbols on them.

Old May 21st 07, 08:10 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 21 May 2007 07:27:12 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 22:18:23 on
Sun, 20 May 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
"WC" like "Public Conveniences" (which in some parts of the South USA
I've heard called "The Necessary") seems to have fallen into disuse in
the UK over the last generation, and is now rarely heard, nor seen on a
sign.

It is seen on plenty of signs, it is the prescribed symbol for use on
several varieties.

Most new signs seem to say either "Toilet", or have the Man/Woman
symbols on them.

Prescribed vehicular traffic signs or (in some respects much more
variable) pedestrian signs ?
Old May 22nd 07, 06:37 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 21:10:22 on
Mon, 21 May 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
Most new signs seem to say either "Toilet", or have the Man/Woman
symbols on them.

Prescribed vehicular traffic signs or (in some respects much more
variable) pedestrian signs ?

I wasn't really thinking about traffic signs, but I'll keep an eye out
for any locally. I'm pretty sure they say "Toilets". It was signs on
doors, and signs within buildings I had in mind.
Old May 22nd 07, 09:23 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 22 May 2007 07:37:00 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 21:10:22 on
Mon, 21 May 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
Most new signs seem to say either "Toilet", or have the Man/Woman
symbols on them.

Prescribed vehicular traffic signs or (in some respects much more
variable) pedestrian signs ?

I wasn't really thinking about traffic signs, but I'll keep an eye out
for any locally. I'm pretty sure they say "Toilets". It was signs on
doors, and signs within buildings I had in mind.

In those cases a "WC" does indeed seem to be the exception.
Old May 23rd 07, 05:54 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 22:23:29 on
Tue, 22 May 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
I wasn't really thinking about traffic signs, but I'll keep an eye out
for any locally. I'm pretty sure they say "Toilets". It was signs on
doors, and signs within buildings I had in mind.

In those cases a "WC" does indeed seem to be the exception.

I've been looking out over the last few days, and everywhere does seem
to use the expression "toilets", except Swiss trains, which have a "WC"
symbol.
Old May 23rd 07, 08:28 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:54:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 22:23:29 on
Tue, 22 May 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
I wasn't really thinking about traffic signs, but I'll keep an eye out
for any locally. I'm pretty sure they say "Toilets". It was signs on
doors, and signs within buildings I had in mind.

In those cases a "WC" does indeed seem to be the exception.

I've been looking out over the last few days, and everywhere does seem
to use the expression "toilets", except Swiss trains, which have a "WC"
symbol.

A random cyber-stroll around Europe suggests it might be more
universally understood than signing in FR/IT/DE (or Latin). ISTR my
French teacher warning that asking for the toilet in FR will often get
you directed to a bathroom with only washing facilities.