Old June 5th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Does anyone know where Ranelagh Bridge is?

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
Paul Scott wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
(Cross posted to uk.railway because I think it is a railway bridge)

er well, as subject basically.

Googling was of no help, nor was my trusty London Atlas. I think
it is one of the bridges that crosses the line out of
Paddington-but which one exactly. The article I am reading refers to it
as near
Gloucester terrace.

It is the bridge between Westbourne Bridge and Royal Oak station,
carrying the westbound on slip to the Westway.

It is also the correct name for Fulham Railway Bridge on the West
London Line...

Fulham Railway Bridge is the one carrying the District Line south from
Putney Bridge station.

The WLL bridge is usually called Battersea Railway Bridge, but Joe Brown's
London Railway Atlas calls it Cremorne Bridge, as does Wikipedia. What
makes you think it should be called Ranelagh Bridge?

Er... I got the name of the railway that crosses Fulham Railway Bridge
wrong? Memory isn't what it was...

Paul

Old June 5th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:05:28 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
(Cross posted to uk.railway because I think it is a railway bridge)

er well, as subject basically.

Googling was of no help, nor was my trusty London Atlas. I think it is
one of the bridges that crosses the line out of Paddington-but which
one exactly. The article I am reading refers to it as near Gloucester
terrace.

It is the bridge between Westbourne Bridge and Royal Oak station, carrying
the westbound on slip to the Westway.

It is also the correct name for Fulham Railway Bridge on the West London
Line...

They were both named for Ranelagh Gardens which were somehere in the
vicinity. Pleasure gardens for the nobs.

Paul

Old June 5th 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I can't believe twelve replies and no one has answered the question
properly.

Well assuming the question is a railway one then Ranelagh Bridge used
to be a stabling point for locos off Paddington station.

It was located directly opposite Royal Oak tube station. It was closed
after the HSTs arrived on the GW and all the hydralics and class 50s
had moved on.

It was well known and loved by all the spotters of my generation.

Old June 5th 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"allan tracy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I can't believe twelve replies and no one has answered the question
properly.

Thats because yours is the only reply that appears to have missed the fact
that the OP was interested in the actual 'bridge'...

Paul

Old June 5th 07, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jun 5, 1:50 pm, allan tracy wrote:
I can't believe twelve replies and no one has answered the question
properly.

Well assuming the question is a railway one then Ranelagh Bridge used
to be a stabling point for locos off Paddington station.

It was located directly opposite Royal Oak tube station. It was closed
after the HSTs arrived on the GW and all the hydralics and class 50s
had moved on.

It was well known and loved by all the spotters of my generation.

If you read the original post the question is *where* is Ranelagh
Bridge, not *what* is Ranelagh Bridge.

The replies before yours seem to have answered the original posters
question pretty fully.

Do try to keep up old chap.

WTF

Old June 5th 07, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Fulham Railway Bridge is the one carrying the District Line south
from Putney Bridge station.

Uh-oh. It's Putney Railway Bridge. Fulham's too posh for bridges. :-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 5th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

If you read the original post the question is *where* is Ranelagh
Bridge, not *what* is Ranelagh Bridge.

The replies before yours seem to have answered the original posters
question pretty fully.

Do try to keep up old chap.

If you ask a question like that in uk railway then I think you more
than deserve my reply.

Old June 5th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ian Ian is offline

On 5 Jun, 13:23, Christopher A.Lee wrote:

They were both named for Ranelagh Gardens which were somehere in the
vicinity. Pleasure gardens for the nobs.

Unlike Hampstead Heath and Clapham Common, which are pleasure gardens
for the knobs.

I'll get me coat.

Ian

Old June 5th 07, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

allan tracy wrote:

If you ask a question like that in uk railway then I think you more
than deserve my reply.

If you ask a question like that in uk.r then I would suggest that most of us
of a certain age would *automatically* assume that the OP was referring to
the Western Region servicing point just adjacent to Royal Oak station, that
was decommissioned once the majority of WR services went over to HST
operation.

Old June 5th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

allan tracy wrote:
If you read the original post the question is *where* is Ranelagh
Bridge, not *what* is Ranelagh Bridge.

The replies before yours seem to have answered the original posters
question pretty fully.

Do try to keep up old chap.

If you ask a question like that in uk railway then I think you more
than deserve my reply.

Yes, the additional background info was interesting, but the criticism
of previous posters who actually answered the question posed by the OP
was certainly not deserved.
--
Richard J.
(to e-mail me, swap uk and yon in address).