Old June 5th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Does anyone know where Ranelagh Bridge is?

Mr Thant wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:45 am, wrote:
Googling was of no help, nor was my trusty London Atlas. I think it is
one of the bridges that crosses the line out of Paddington-but which
one exactly. The article I am reading refers to it as near Gloucester
terrace.

It's marked on the map at the end of this 2.6MB PDF:
http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk...lOakPortal.pdf

It would appear to be the A40 slip road that comes form Porchester
Terrace.

Greenwood's map of London has the area at practically the same scale but
as it was in 1827 ...

http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood...1u.html#bottom

Old June 5th 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 5 Jun, 12:12, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mr 'U Thant's link takes the prize, a detailed planning map that shows the
bridge 'named' unlike most atlases etc...

Thanks, but it's actually on the first page of Google hits, through I
knew to look for the detailed map at the end of those Crossrail
reports, as I'd seen them before.

As it happens, I was on a train from Paddington this afternoon. The
bridge looks Victorian and is low down, level with local roads, so
presumably it dates from long before the A40. The turn and ramp up to
the A40 look quite nasty.

Old June 5th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:
On 5 Jun, 12:12, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Mr 'U Thant's link takes the prize, a detailed planning map that
shows the bridge 'named' unlike most atlases etc...

Thanks, but it's actually on the first page of Google hits, through
I knew to look for the detailed map at the end of those Crossrail
reports, as I'd seen them before.

As it happens, I was on a train from Paddington this afternoon. The
bridge looks Victorian and is low down, level with local roads, so
presumably it dates from long before the A40. The turn and ramp up
to the A40 look quite nasty.

Nasty in what way? The turn is no problem at 20 mph (and by the time
you get there, you'll be used to turns!), and the ramp is not
particularly steep.

Before Westway was built, the bridge used to connect with Harrow Road.
It's called Ranelagh Road on my 1956 Bartholomew street atlas.
--
Richard J.

Old June 6th 07, 12:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

John Rowland wrote:

Where's the entrance/exit?

No idea, John. I've never explored it on foot - I would imagine in the same
place as it was for access to the BR servicing point.

Old June 6th 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Thanks to everyone who replied- found it on the map now

As it happens, I was on a train from Paddington this afternoon. The
bridge looks Victorian and is low down, level with local roads, so
presumably it dates from long before the A40. The turn and ramp up to
the A40 look quite nasty.

From what I understand of the road system of London, the Westway was

to be part of a larger motorway box. The Westway got built then the
scheme was canned, so it's possible this last bit got cobbled together
from old bridges and existing streets.

Anyway, folks have been getting had for using it without paying the CC
so watch out!

Thanks again......

Old June 6th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Anyway, folks have been getting had for using it without paying the CC
so watch out!

It's not in the CC area.

Old June 6th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 6 Jun, 12:57, "John Rowland"

Anyway, folks have been getting had for using it without paying the CC
so watch out!

It's not in the CC area.

Remeber the CC area was extended recently, remember.

Anyway I've no intention of voluenteering to find out. Going from
Marble Arch I shall be taking a long, boring but safe loop via Edgware
Road, St Johns wood Road, Park Road and Baker Street before turning
right onto the Westway.

Old June 6th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 6 Jun, 16:21, Barry Salter wrote:
wrote:
Anyway I've no intention of voluenteering to find out. Going from
Marble Arch I shall be taking a long, boring but safe loop via Edgware
Road, St Johns wood Road, Park Road and Baker Street before turning
right onto the Westway.

Looking at the map showing the extended CC Zone, and comparing it with
Multimap, suggests that you'd need to do Marble Arch - Edgware Road -
Sussex Gardens - Sale Place - Praed Street - Eastbourne Terrace -
Bishops Bridge Road - Westbourne Terrace - Orsett Terrace - Gloucester
Terrace - Ranelagh Bridge - Westway to avoid the CC, which is a lot of
messing about!

Yes, Barry, that's what I was thinking.Not to mention the potential to
get lost I know which one Sussex Gardens is- (left just after
Sommerfield) but beyond that I'd be winging it)

I'll stick with what I know.