Old June 17th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelcard question

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:52:30 -0700, XmaX wrote:

OK, great. So in other words, I can indeed travel via Z1 with Z234
paper travelcard, yes? I understand that I could be in trouble if
someone catches me, but how can that happen? In DLR, there are
inspectors, but it's all Z23, so it's OK. Buses - no zones, so OK.
Underground - wrong zones, but who checks the tickets apart from the
gates, which wouldn't do anything anyway?

There are random checks by staff, more so in station passageways at
interchanges than on trains, although the latter do happen
occasionally.

I wouldn't recommend chancing it, to be honest. The difference between
the 7-day Z1-4 and 7-day Z2-4 is less than one penalty fare. Also,
with the proliferation of Oyster, if caught by an inspector in Z1 with
a Z2-4 paper Travelcard, the inspector may be minded to believe that
you chose paper over Oyster in order to evade the Z1 fare, which would
lead to prosecution, not penalty fare.

Old June 17th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

OK, great. So in other words, I can indeed travel via Z1 with Z234
paper travelcard, yes? I understand that I could be in trouble if
someone catches me, but how can that happen? In DLR, there are
inspectors, but it's all Z23, so it's OK.

I've been checked a couple of times on a DLR train, by (I assume) the
controller-person.

Old June 17th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, XmaX
writes

OK, great. So in other words, I can indeed travel via Z1 with Z234
paper travelcard, yes? I understand that I could be in trouble if
someone catches me, but how can that happen? In DLR, there are
inspectors, but it's all Z23, so it's OK. Buses - no zones, so OK.
Underground - wrong zones, but who checks the tickets apart from the
gates, which wouldn't do anything anyway?

I regularly see Ticket Inspectors working on the (Underground) trains I
drive.

You attempt to avoid the correct fare at your own risk, but don't come
crying on here if you get caught - you won't get a lot of sympathy!
Old June 17th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I regularly see Ticket Inspectors working on the (Underground) trains I
drive.

You attempt to avoid the correct fare at your own risk, but don't come
crying on here if you get caught - you won't get a lot of sympathy!

I didn't say that I am definitely doing it, I just asked for some
advice whether it works and how risky is it. I travel in the Tube for
2 months and never saw a ticket inspector, so I assumed there aren't
many of them. Or It probably means that I am lucky

It's not really worth getting a Z1234 travelcard, as I spend roughly 5
a day for 5 days, which gives me 25 pounds, nearly 10 less than a
Z1234 travelcard, but 6 more than Z234, not to mention that I have
bigger flexibility.

Also, I just checked - there are no travelcards in DLR ticket machines
(or at least in Bow Church) - only one day travelcards, nothing more
than that.

Old June 17th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, XmaX
writes

I didn't say that I am definitely doing it, I just asked for some
advice whether it works and how risky is it. I travel in the Tube for
2 months and never saw a ticket inspector, so I assumed there aren't
many of them. Or It probably means that I am lucky

It's nothing to do with being 'lucky' as you put it - it's you
(apparently, seriously) considering making a positive decision to steal
from/defraud the rest of the fare paying passengers.

It's not really worth getting a Z1234 travelcard, as I spend roughly 5
a day for 5 days, which gives me 25 pounds, nearly 10 less than a
Z1234 travelcard, but 6 more than Z234, not to mention that I have
bigger flexibility.

It's worth the correct fare for the journey. You are offered to be
carried at a rate. If you think that rate is not appropriate, don't use
it - just make your own, alternative arrangements. Don't expect anyone
on here to 'approve' your attempted avoidance tactics of the correct
fare to be paid.

By all means consider the legitimate (Oyster pre-pay perhaps) options to
pay less, but as I said earlier, don't come crying to us if you attempt
to defraud and you then get caught out (as others have done recently).

Also, I just checked - there are no travelcards in DLR ticket machines
(or at least in Bow Church) - only one day travelcards, nothing more
than that.

And advertising the fact on here that you are considering avoiding
paying the correct fare is hardly a good move either.

Old June 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's nothing to do with being 'lucky' as you put it - it's you
(apparently, seriously) considering making a positive decision to steal
from/defraud the rest of the fare paying passengers.

I am not saying I am lucky that I don't get caught (as I have never
evaded fares), I just said that I never saw the ticket inspector
inside the train, which possibly makes me a minority.

It's not really worth getting a Z1234 travelcard, as I spend roughly 5
a day for 5 days, which gives me 25 pounds, nearly 10 less than a
Z1234 travelcard, but 6 more than Z234, not to mention that I have
bigger flexibility.

It's worth the correct fare for the journey. You are offered to be
carried at a rate. If you think that rate is not appropriate, don't use
it - just make your own, alternative arrangements. Don't expect anyone
on here to 'approve' your attempted avoidance tactics of the correct
fare to be paid.

By all means consider the legitimate (Oyster pre-pay perhaps) options to
pay less, but as I said earlier, don't come crying to us if you attempt
to defraud and you then get caught out (as others have done recently).

I am using Oyster pre-pay, but a paper travelcard would be better. I
don't say I am going to use it, and certainly wouldn't cry to you if I
get caght, as I know it would be my fault (and that's my risk I might
take).

Also, I just checked - there are no travelcards in DLR ticket machines
(or at least in Bow Church) - only one day travelcards, nothing more
than that.

And advertising the fact on here that you are considering avoiding
paying the correct fare is hardly a good move either.

I am not the first to do that, and nobody was heavily criticized for
similar behaviour. And just a question - what does it have to do with
DLR ticket machines (I suppose you quoted incorrectly)

Old June 17th 07, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

XmaX wrote:

Yes I am using mostly Central and District lines, DLR sometimes. And
basically, you are right that I am trying to go through Z1 without
paying for it, and I agree that it is not right thing to do. But then,
what are the chances of being caught? Do they even check the tickets
in the Underground (I know they do in DLR, but then it's within Z23)?

I was inspected once on DLR leaving Bank.

Although the inspector was satisfied with my closed Oyster wallet (she
didn't even wait to see the Oyster card inside it let alone verify that
it was valid).
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old June 18th 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David of Broadway wrote:
XmaX wrote:

Yes I am using mostly Central and District lines, DLR sometimes. And
basically, you are right that I am trying to go through Z1 without
paying for it, and I agree that it is not right thing to do. But then,
what are the chances of being caught? Do they even check the tickets
in the Underground (I know they do in DLR, but then it's within Z23)?

I was inspected once on DLR leaving Bank.

I've been checked on the Piccadilly, Victoria, Met, Circle, Waterloo &
City and Bakerloo Lines, so it *does* happen.

And one of our RPIs at work provided assistance during an operation at
Bank not so long ago. I'm guessing that it was on the W&C, but I could
be wrong.

Cheers,

Barry