Old June 8th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Quick question re out-of-zone Travelcard on Oyster (ping Paul C?)

Hi,

In a recentish thread on here, wherein I was discussing a "Hertford Stns
- Z1-6 Travelcard season £282.70", I asked:

"Rather than having to have it on paper, could I purchase it on Oyster?"

To which "asdf" replied:

I've never seen this advertised, but Paul C informed us in a
recent(ish) post that the answer is yes - you should be able to buy
one at any LU ticket office.

Now, I just asked at LUL Euston and was told "no", so can anyone give me:

(a) a definitive answer and;

(b) if the answer to (a) is "yes", the right words I need to say to make
the LUL staff issue it

Thanks in advance again!

dave

Old June 8th 07, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:
Hi,

In a recentish thread on here, wherein I was discussing a "Hertford Stns
- Z1-6 Travelcard season £282.70", I asked:

"Rather than having to have it on paper, could I purchase it on Oyster?"

snip

(a) a definitive answer and;

(b) if the answer to (a) is "yes", the right words I need to say to make
the LUL staff issue it

The official line from the Oyster help site:

quote

Can I use Oyster for travel on National Railways outside of zones 1-6?

No. Travelcards on Oyster are currently valid for journeys within zone
1-6 and on the Metropolitan line, (including Chiltern services), north
of Moor Park to Amersham/Chesham and Watford (Met).

/quote

Cheers,

Barry
Old June 10th 07, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:01:56 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:
Hi,

In a recentish thread on here, wherein I was discussing a "Hertford Stns
- Z1-6 Travelcard season £282.70", I asked:

"Rather than having to have it on paper, could I purchase it on Oyster?"

snip

(a) a definitive answer and;

(b) if the answer to (a) is "yes", the right words I need to say to make
the LUL staff issue it

The official line from the Oyster help site:

quote

Can I use Oyster for travel on National Railways outside of zones 1-6?

No. Travelcards on Oyster are currently valid for journeys within zone
1-6 and on the Metropolitan line, (including Chiltern services), north
of Moor Park to Amersham/Chesham and Watford (Met).

/quote

I think I need to go and ask the question as I'm not sure your quoted
answer from the Oyster site actually answers Mr Newt's question. I have
always understood it to be the case that it is entirely possible to
issue a Travelcard plus out boundary travel from a wide range of LU
stations. Hertford East was certainly a valid destination when I was
involved. I am not aware that there has been any reduction in the range
of out boundary destinations for either single, return or season ticket
purchases.

Given that LU has effectively scrapped magnetics for seasons I thought
the position was that LU issued on to Oyster cards for the Travelcard
encoding and provided a record card or similar to the passenger to
demonstrate that out boundary validity was part of the ticket purchased.
In the reverse direction (i.e. purchase at Hertford East then a magnetic
season would be sold).

I shall ask the fares office for a position but it may take a few days
for an answer to be provided.
--
Paul C

Old June 10th 07, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote

involved. I am not aware that there has been any reduction in the

range
of out boundary destinations for either single, return or season

ticket
purchases.

Given that LU has effectively scrapped magnetics for seasons I

thought
the position was that LU issued on to Oyster cards for the Travelcard
encoding and provided a record card or similar to the passenger to
demonstrate that out boundary validity was part of the ticket

purchased.
In the reverse direction (i.e. purchase at Hertford East then a

magnetic
season would be sold).

I shall ask the fares office for a position but it may take a few

days
for an answer to be provided.

Thanks.

Because of the photocard issue one can deduce that out boundary adult
monthly or longer TCs on Oyster cannot be issued by TFL (catch 22 from
the 2006 Fares and Tickets booklet, p30)

quote

* A photocard is not needed to buy and use any adult rate TC on Oyster

* You do need a photocard before you can buy or use monthly or longer
TCs that include validity to a NR station beyond {the zones}

unquote

QED

--
Mike D

Old June 11th 07, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Given that LU has effectively scrapped magnetics for seasons I thought
the position was that LU issued on to Oyster cards for the Travelcard
encoding and provided a record card or similar to the passenger to
demonstrate that out boundary validity was part of the ticket purchased.
In the reverse direction (i.e. purchase at Hertford East then a magnetic
season would be sold).

Well I've certainly seen paper "out-boundary" issues from LU Ticket
Offices "post Oyster", though those were mostly point to point
(generally South Ruislip to Gerrards Cross weeklies).

Always a good way of confusing passengers, by issuing them a Travelcard
instead of a point to point on certain flows, 'cos it was cheaper...And
still is, despite my having informed the appropriate people!

For example: Gerrards Cross to Wembley Stadium point to point Annual is
£1476. Gerrards Cross to Zone R456 Annual Travelcard is £1428.

Cheers,

Barry

Old June 11th 07, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Jun, 14:01, Paul Corfield wrote:

I think I need to go and ask the question as I'm not sure your quoted
answer from the Oyster site actually answers Mr Newt's question. I have
always understood it to be the case that it is entirely possible to
issue aTravelcardplus out boundary travel from a wide range of LU
stations.HertfordEast was certainly a valid destination when I was
involved.

[...]

I shall ask the fares office for a position but it may take a few days
for an answer to be provided.

Thanks, Paul. I'm living in Hertford (rather than E17) as of today, so
looks like I'll be on paper for the next month anyway* but this would
be easier and good to find out if it's possible, as it would make
things simpler.

* Though I just discovered last night that there AREN'T any Hertford
East-Broxbourne trains for most of the rest of this month, plus they
are doing all night engineering outside my new bedroom window! :-/

(And thanks to others for the other replies, which are what I
expected, leaving aside asdf's original answer a few weeks ago.)

Old June 14th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:42:04 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I asked the question and got a reply.

In short there has been no change to the range of Travelcards and out
county sections sold from LU offices. Therefore a ticket to Hertford
East can be sold from Euston. However, and this was news to me, it would
be sold not on Oyster but on magnetic stock with a photocard which LU
offices have retained solely for this purpose.

Attempts have been made to reach an agreement to retail Oyster for Z16
plus a magnetic extension ticket from the boundary to the NR station
requested but no agreement has so far been reached. Whether this will
eventually become reality I can't say but it would give you what you
would like.

In the light of your train services woes from the "one" station my
contact suggests you buy your season from a NR station at Hertford as
this should be from "Hertford Stations" which gives you both routes to
London. If you buy from a LU station you will be route restricted to
other "East" or "North" stations.

Sorry that's not the answer you were hoping for.

--
Paul C

Old June 14th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

I asked the question and got a reply.

Hi Paul - thanks for this.

In short there has been no change to the range of Travelcards and out
county sections sold from LU offices. Therefore a ticket to Hertford
East can be sold from Euston. However, and this was news to me, it would
be sold not on Oyster but on magnetic stock with a photocard which LU
offices have retained solely for this purpose.

Ah well.

Attempts have been made to reach an agreement to retail Oyster for Z16
plus a magnetic extension ticket from the boundary to the NR station
requested but no agreement has so far been reached. Whether this will
eventually become reality I can't say but it would give you what you
would like.

That is actually something I had considered trying to do myself, i.e.
buy a Z1-6 Oyster from one place and a Hertford-FirstStationInZone6
season, but I haven't done more than think of the idea so far (and
wondered whether it would be more expensive anyway). It certainly sounds
like it would be a great compromise if they could get their heads
together to arrange it.

In the light of your train services woes from the "one" station my

Ha! You should have been at Tottenham Hale tonight! Liv St services were
well screwed up again!

contact suggests you buy your season from a NR station at Hertford as
this should be from "Hertford Stations" which gives you both routes to
London. If you buy from a LU station you will be route restricted to
other "East" or "North" stations.

Yes, indeed, and this is what I did do on Monday. Glad I did, give what
you say about Hertford East tickets versus Hertford Stations tickets above.

Sorry that's not the answer you were hoping for.

No worries - making that effort to find out is much apprciated.

It may seem trivial, but it's amazing how used you get to swiping an
Oyster, and when you have to revert back to magnetic tickets, how much
hassle it is to make sure you have both hands free to get it out of its
holder.

Thanks again, Paul.

Dave
Old June 14th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote in
:

That is actually something I had considered trying to do myself, i.e.
buy a Z1-6 Oyster from one place and a Hertford-FirstStationInZone6
season, but I haven't done more than think of the idea so far (and
wondered whether it would be more expensive anyway). ...

For many stations outside Z6 the combination of two tickets is actually
cheaper than buying a a single ticket.

The catch is that the combination is only valid on trains stopping at the
boundary station.

Old June 15th 07, 01:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:50:54 -0500, David Jackman
wrote:

Dave Newt wrote in
:

That is actually something I had considered trying to do myself, i.e.
buy a Z1-6 Oyster from one place and a Hertford-FirstStationInZone6
season, but I haven't done more than think of the idea so far (and
wondered whether it would be more expensive anyway). ...

For many stations outside Z6 the combination of two tickets is actually
cheaper than buying a a single ticket.

The catch is that the combination is only valid on trains stopping at the
boundary station.

The NRCOC says:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together
they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit
their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at the station where you change from
one ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does
not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a
passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel
pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...misc/NRCOC.pdf

Would a Z1-6 on Oyster not count as a "Season Ticket or travel pass