Old May 3rd 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Question about Oyster travelcard + extensions.

I'm sure one of you will know the answer to this question.

If I have a zone 3-2 travelcard, and leave my non-PAYG station in pay
3, don't touch in (because I can't), and touch out in zone 1, would
this be seen as an unresolved journey or would it use my PAYG to pay
for the extension? What if I do the same thing the other way around,
i.e. start in zone 1 but don't touch out as my local zone 3 station
doesn't have PAYG readers and I use my travelcard for that.

As an example, if I start my journey at Harringay, am unable to touch
in, and get off at Moorgate with my z2-3 travelcard with some PAYG
money, what would happen?

Old May 3rd 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 May, 19:57, sweek wrote:
If I have a zone 3-2 travelcard, and leave my non-PAYG station in pay
3, don't touch in (because I can't), and touch out in zone 1, would
this be seen as an unresolved journey or would it use my PAYG to pay
for the extension?

I know for a Z1-3 if you touch out in Z4 it'll charge you £1 (or
whatever) rather than the £4 unresolved journey fee. It might be
different for Z1.

As an example, if I start my journey at Harringay, am unable to touch
in, and get off at Moorgate with my z2-3 travelcard with some PAYG
money, what would happen?

Officially you're meant to get off the train and touch in when
switching to PAYG if you started outside the PAYG area. You can do
this at Finsbury Park, get the Victoria Line and if you're lucky get
back on the same train at Highbury & Islington. You can also touch in
at Old Street and get the Northern to Moorgate, though then you end up
fare-dodging the Essex Road-Old Street journey.

This mess will disappear once PAYG is extended early next year
(hopefully).

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old May 3rd 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 May 2008 14:04:48 -0700 (PDT), Mr Thant wrote:

If I have a zone 3-2 travelcard, and leave my non-PAYG station in pay
3, don't touch in (because I can't), and touch out in zone 1, would
this be seen as an unresolved journey or would it use my PAYG to pay
for the extension?

I know for a Z1-3 if you touch out in Z4 it'll charge you £1 (or
whatever) rather than the £4 unresolved journey fee. It might be
different for Z1.

It's the minimum fare (£1.50)
Old May 3rd 08, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the replies. That is a bit annoying, but luckily I'm not in
this actual situation right now. I might be in the future though, so
it's very good to know about this limitation.

Officially you're meant to get off the train and touch in when
switching to PAYG if you started outside the PAYG area. You can do
this at Finsbury Park, get the Victoria Line and if you're lucky get
back on the same train at Highbury & Islington.

Just as an aside. This is a little race I have with myself every now
and then. I have the timetable of northbound trains from Highbury and
Islington that call at Harringay memorised, and I'll always check my
phone and the platform while entering H&I. If it's just after a train
has left I'll stay on the Victoria up to Finsbury Park and run up the
stairs to catch the same train there. It almost never works but you
feel pretty great when it does!

Sorry about the duplicated thread, by the way. I posted it once,
checked half an hour later and didn't see it, so I opened a duplicate.
Old May 4th 08, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 May 2008 14:04:48 -0700 (PDT), Mr Thant wrote:

Officially you're meant to get off the train and touch in when
switching to PAYG if you started outside the PAYG area. You can do
this at Finsbury Park, get the Victoria Line and if you're lucky get
back on the same train at Highbury & Islington.

Actually, you could just hop off the FCC train at Highbury &
Islington, touch in on the platform readers there, and hop back on
again.

Old May 4th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 May, 15:43, asdf wrote:
Actually, you could just hop off the FCC train at Highbury &
Islington, touch in on the platform readers there, and hop back on
again.

The readers are on the Victoria Line side and the cross passages are
quite long. I doubt you'd have time, though I've never tried it.