Old July 5th 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Travel Centres/Bus info

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:30:24 +0100, asdf wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:17:25 +0100, Peter Smyth wrote:

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on buses
3. Click on bus route maps

Now that's odd - the "buses" link in step 2 doesn't appear in Opera,
although it does in IE.

That pages looks identical to me in:

Opera 9.21
IE 6.0
IE 7.0
Firefox 2.0
Netscape 7.01
Safari 3.0
All on Win XP.

Additionally, the page doesn't appear to do any browser sniffing it merely
uses conditional comments to send style sheets to various IE versions to
rectify bugs in that browser.

What version of Opera and OS are you using?
--
Fig

Old July 5th 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:57:16 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:
And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

I sit corrected. I *swear* that wasn't there last week!

I thought that as well...

I really like that map, although some kind of hint about which London
terminal a line goes to would be good. I would use the pastel colours
for this, rather than show the zones, and then it could conceivably
replace the traditional underground map (which also has no zones) as
displayed in stations, etc., to give more of an appearance of an
integrated network.

Richard.
Old July 5th 07, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

I sit corrected. I *swear* that wasn't there last week!

I thought that as well...

I really like that map, although some kind of hint about which London
terminal a line goes to would be good. I would use the pastel colours
for this, rather than show the zones, and then it could conceivably
replace the traditional underground map (which also has no zones) as
displayed in stations, etc., to give more of an appearance of an
integrated network.

I agree.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old July 6th 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:24:33 +0100, Fig wrote:

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk
2. Click on buses
3. Click on bus route maps

Now that's odd - the "buses" link in step 2 doesn't appear in Opera,
although it does in IE.

That pages looks identical to me in:

Opera 9.21
IE 6.0
IE 7.0
Firefox 2.0
Netscape 7.01
Safari 3.0
All on Win XP.

Additionally, the page doesn't appear to do any browser sniffing it merely
uses conditional comments to send style sheets to various IE versions to
rectify bugs in that browser.

What version of Opera and OS are you using?

This is in Opera 9.20 on Windows 2000. (Not my machine so I can't
upgrade to 9.21 to try that.)

The top row of links (Tube Rail Buses DLR) doesn't appear. If (with
the page open) you switch to another application then back to Opera,
the links mysteriously appear, but you still can't click on them or
highlight the text.
Old July 6th 07, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You have to wonder why there are the big differences between the
Underground and Buses. With Buses all the info is available at the bus
stops or online, but on the Underground they still produce those
pocket 'tube maps' that are available at every station

Why haven't they decided to scrap them because the tube map is
available on posters at the station and online? If it useful to have a
tube map to take away why not bus information?

Old July 6th 07, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

West Yorkshire Bus wrote:
You have to wonder why there are the big differences between the
Underground and Buses. With Buses all the info is available at the bus
stops or online, but on the Underground they still produce those
pocket 'tube maps' that are available at every station

Why haven't they decided to scrap them because the tube map is
available on posters at the station and online? If it useful to have a
tube map to take away why not bus information?

I think the cost of the pocket Tube Maps is defrayed by advertising. But
I don't see why they couldn't do the same for buses.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old July 8th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:16:17 +0100, asdf wrote,
with reference to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
The top row of links (Tube Rail Buses DLR) doesn't appear [using Opera].
If (with
the page open) you switch to another application then back to Opera,
the links mysteriously appear, but you still can't click on them or
highlight the text.

Just managed to recreate the bug here.
It appears to be dependant on the position of the links relative to the
viewport at page load.
I'll bring it up on the Opera forums so that we can narrow it down and get
a bug report filed.

--
Cheers,
Fig
Old July 9th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Peter Smyth wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Richard J. wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, asdf wrote:
The proper (quadrant) maps are now very difficult to find on the
new website.

And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

You haven't tried very hard!

I sit corrected. I *swear* that wasn't there last week!

You're right! It has been added since 30th June.

*******S!

tom

--
X is for ... EXECUTION!
Old July 9th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

And it *still* doesn't have the High Frequency Services map at all!

I sit corrected. I *swear* that wasn't there last week!

I thought that as well...

I really like that map, although some kind of hint about which London
terminal a line goes to would be good.

Slightly tricky when some stations and lines have trains to multiple
termini. Shouldn't be impossible, though, and would definitely be useful.

In fact, this highlights a problem with the map: a station with 2 tph to
Victoria and 2 tph to London Bridge counts has having 4 tph, and so being
high-frequency. However, in reality, only one of those services is likely
to be useful to you, so you've effectively got just 2 tph.

tom

--
X is for ... EXECUTION!
Old July 9th 07, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 9, 6:53 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Slightly tricky when some stations and lines have trains to multiple
termini. Shouldn't be impossible, though, and would definitely be useful.

Have you seen the Overground Network map:
http://web.archive.org/web/200601250...etwork-map.pdf

(the ON website was taken down a few months ago. I presume the signage
can't be far behind)

There's also this classic Southern map that uses a similar concept:
http://www.virtualportmeirion.com/network/largemap.htm

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/