Old July 4th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default steam train at CLJ

Imagine my surprise yesterday when waiting for the late Richmond train
in the rush hour the 'Tangmere' battle of britain class loco full of
punter drinking champers (and cheapskates at the back eating nothing)
arrived at platform 5.

Lovely.

This train thing could catch on if it had this kind of magic!

mf
PS A bit similar today seeing Routemasters at Wimbledon for the Tennis.
All our yesterdays, or 'Less is more' as Apple Computer would probably say.

Old July 4th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mystery Flyer wrote:
Imagine my surprise yesterday when waiting for the late Richmond train
in the rush hour the 'Tangmere' battle of britain class loco full of
punter drinking champers (and cheapskates at the back eating nothing)
arrived at platform 5.

Lovely.

This train thing could catch on if it had this kind of magic!

It was on a Victoria to Stratford-upon-Avon and return "Cathedrals Express",
run by Steam Dreams.

See http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs07.htm#jul and
http://www.steamdreams.com/.

"Tangmere" is quite regularly out and about at the moment - I remember
seeing it mid-afternoon, heading for Victoria on the former Central Division
lines through Clapham Junction, at (reasonable) speed last year.

According to the above, it's out again on Saturday (which presumably
explains why it's now unavailable for its previous booking on Friday).