Old July 14th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

"Matthew P Jones" wrote

Indeed, I don't, I do know a slow train passed us before we got into
Watford. We were not booked to stop at Watford, but we were lightly
loaded so one wonders if there was an option to use our train to clear
passengers from Watford. No matter, I still reckon the passengers at
Watford would have been annoyed as we slowed almost to a stop before
accelerating away.

One important fact that you knew, but Control probably didn't (although they
probably should have had some idea) was that your train was lightly loaded.

Peter

Old July 14th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Tolley writes:

Nah, you've got to give them time to do the outbound reservations thing
as well.

Why? In the case of disruption, why not cancel all reservations both to
avoid problems with people having to ensure that they join the service
which is nominally the one on which they have reservations and to save
time during the turnround.
Old July 14th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:31:06 +0100, Matthew P Jones
wrote:

Indeed, I don't, I do know a slow train passed us before we got into
Watford. We were not booked to stop at Watford, but we were lightly
loaded so one wonders if there was an option to use our train to clear
passengers from Watford. No matter, I still reckon the passengers at
Watford would have been annoyed as we slowed almost to a stop before
accelerating away.

Northbound? I think you may have been on the same train as me...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 14th 07, 01:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:26:11 +0100, Graham Murray
wrote:

Why? In the case of disruption, why not cancel all reservations both to
avoid problems with people having to ensure that they join the service
which is nominally the one on which they have reservations and to save
time during the turnround.

And in any case aren't VT's reservations sent via mobile phone-type
communication? If so, they could be set up after passing Watford so
they're ready as soon as the doors open.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 14th 07, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graham Murray wrote:

Chris Tolley writes:

Nah, you've got to give them time to do the outbound reservations thing
as well.

Why? In the case of disruption

Although the thread started off talking about disruption, I didn't infer
that was still the context for this threadlet.

why not cancel all reservations both to avoid problems with people
having to ensure that they join the service which is nominally the
one on which they have reservations and to save time during the
turnround.

When services are disrupted, that's pretty much what happens, IME.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632811.html
(31 403 at Oxford, 2 Jun 1985)

Old July 14th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why? In the case of disruption, why not cancel all reservations both to
avoid problems with people having to ensure that they join the service
which is nominally the one on which they have reservations and to save
time during the turnround.

And in any case aren't VT's reservations sent via mobile phone-type
communication? If so, they could be set up after passing Watford so
they're ready as soon as the doors open.

I've been getting the distinct impression on recent VT trips that the
LCD displays are far too difficult for folk* to understand. There were
card reservations attached to the seats in addition to the electronic
stuff, and it's those I was talking about. If folk* can be educated as
to the use of those little displays, then I wholeheartedly concur.

* both staff and customers...

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633078.html
(50 032 at Wolverhampton, 1985)
Old July 14th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why? In the case of disruption, why not cancel all reservations both to
avoid problems with people having to ensure that they join the service
which is nominally the one on which they have reservations and to save
time during the turnround.

And in any case aren't VT's reservations sent via mobile phone-type
communication? If so, they could be set up after passing Watford so
they're ready as soon as the doors open.

I've been getting the distinct impression on recent VT trips that the
LCD displays are far too difficult for folk* to understand. There were
card reservations attached to the seats in addition to the electronic
stuff, and it's those I was talking about. If folk* can be educated as
to the use of those little displays, then I wholeheartedly concur.

I distinctly remember publicity, when they were introduced, that the
displays would have the reserver's name on the LCD. Not once have I
seen that in action, though...
Old July 14th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
Ken Ward wrote:

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
.. .
Neil Williams wrote:

It seemed like a manifestation of the typical South East "keep them on
the concourse and tell them at the last minute" nonsense.

I guess I don't like that any more than you do, and sadly it isn't a
South-East thing exclusively - indeed, didn't the SE get the idea from
Blackpool ? ;-)

Yes, the excursion platforms at Blackpool Central!

Well, then. there's a lesson from history. It's a coach park now, innit?

It is!

Old July 15th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 13, 10:21?pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:43:45 +0100, "zen83237"
wrote:

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

A report I have seen says the Up Main - the person was under a Virgin
train. No idea what platform number that is but I'm sure someone else on
group does know.
--
Paul C

The Up Fast at Harrow & Wealdstone is Platform 4.

burkey

Old July 16th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

I've been getting the distinct impression on recent VT trips that the
LCD displays are far too difficult for folk* to understand. There were
card reservations attached to the seats in addition to the electronic
stuff, and it's those I was talking about. If folk* can be educated as
to the use of those little displays, then I wholeheartedly concur.

The trouble is that they scroll and not very efficiently at that (the
messages seem to be fixed length so a short message leaves the display
blank for a significant period) and you have to stand and wait for the
message to come round before you can tell what it is.

I distinctly remember publicity, when they were introduced, that the
displays would have the reserver's name on the LCD. Not once have I
seen that in action, though...

I did once - it had my name! Fame at last!!

Sam