Old July 13th 07, 05:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:07:17 -0700 someone who may be Neil Williams
wrote this:-

It does, admittedly, say something about my personality (and the
personalities of the other 99), I imagine, which is that I don't like
being told what to do but I do accept reason.

That makes you a "dangerous intellectual" to those who follow the
cult of Stalin.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Old July 13th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ken Ward wrote:

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Presumably disconnected body parts. Body parts on the platform per se
shouldn't be a reason to close a station! ;-)

Old July 13th 07, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ken Ward" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 12, 9:47 pm, (Neil Williams)
I've just looked at the service disruptions on National Rail, and the
last update (timed at 21.58) says that disruption is expected until
23.00, Silverlink Metro is now stopping at Harrow, but County and
Southern aren't.

I'm not sure what BTP's rationale was (assuming it really was them who
made the decision), but without more information it would be unfair to
be too critical - after all, we seldom do criticism of BTP on here, do
we?

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

Kevin

Old July 13th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Ken Ward wrote:

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Presumably disconnected body parts. Body parts on the platform per se
shouldn't be a reason to close a station! ;-)

That seems not to apply at Euston though :-(

--
Ken Ward

Join the group that puts Marine Environment
before aching backs! @

Old July 13th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"zen83237" wrote in message

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

I don't have that information but, I would presume all traffic was suspended
until evidence and the clean up were concluded.

It is not normally accepted that BTP, Undertakers or clean up staff are
expected to dodge moving trains in the course of their jobs or have
commuters walking amongst them.

Old July 13th 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

It does, admittedly, say something about my personality (and the
personalities of the other 99), I imagine, which is that I don't like
being told what to do but I do accept reason.

That makes you a "dangerous intellectual" to those who follow the
cult of Stalin.

Or as was said on Monty Python. There's nothing more dangerous that an
Intelligent Sheep!

Old July 13th 07, 07:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
Ken Ward wrote:
I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Presumably disconnected body parts. Body parts on the platform per se
shouldn't be a reason to close a station! ;-)

Well, if it's a good enough reason to close a motorway for six hours,
why not spread the grief!

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old July 13th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote

About an hour later, an announcement was made that platforms 8-11
would be closed and that people should return to the concourse. This
was said to be due to dangerous overcrowding, which was not evident
from where I was sitting.

A further 15 minutes later, a member of staff came through the train
chucking everyone off (fairly rudely), and the unit was locked OOU.
It didn't, however, go anywhere.

I can think of some good reasons why a train which has been indefinitely
delayed at its starting point should be cleared and locked out of use.
Unfortunately the reason you were given was not one of them - so if they had
a good reason they should have told you the truth and acted firmly but
politely to clear the train.

The train crew may have been running out of hours - unless another crew had
been assigned to take over they would have to shut down and secure the
train.

Control may have wished to recover the service by running the first train
able to leave fast to, say, Milton Keynes - so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by
hordes for all stations along the line, who could have been directed to a
second train a few minutes later. They wouldn't want there to be passengers
on the train for intermediate stations, who may miss announcements, or who
may wish to try to leave the platform as a full trainload are trying to join
the train.

Peter

Old July 13th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:43:45 +0100, "zen83237"
wrote:

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

A report I have seen says the Up Main - the person was under a Virgin
train. No idea what platform number that is but I'm sure someone else on
group does know.
--
Paul C
Old July 13th 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 -
Control may have wished to recover the service by running the first train
able to leave fast to, say, Milton Keynes - so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by
hordes for all stations along the line, who could have been directed to a
second train a few minutes later. They wouldn't want there to be passengers
on the train for intermediate stations, who may miss announcements, or who
may wish to try to leave the platform as a full trainload are trying to join
the train.

I was on the 17:58 from MKC to Euston. The staff at MKC warned of
delays, but we shot along to just past Hemel when we stopped. We were
held for about an hour. The driver told us there was a fatality at
Harrow and all lines were blocked. He advised we were to Terminate at
Watford as all trains were, but we had to wait to get into the station.
I was making my plan to get to Watford Met as the train moved from the
fast to the slow and went into Watford, everyone stood up to get off,
but the driver said he had been given the all clear and we then shot on
at line speed to Euston. Our train was not full, there were two Virgin
trains at Watford and many people on platform 9 which we passed, I bet
they were "please" we did not stop to pick them up, I know I would have
been annoyed, especially as we slowed right down to go through Watford
--
Matthew P Jones
www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.amersham.org.uk www.metroland.org.uk