Old August 14th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No Cycles Between Stations?

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Steve Dulieu wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Neil Williams wrote:

That said, thinking on bikes does vary in different locations. In
Hamburg, for instance, bikes are permitted on all public transport
including buses (you just put it in the wheelchair place and keep
hold of it) though I think in a year I only once saw someone
actually do so, as it's a bit of a rescue service as actually
riding the bike tends to be faster than bus travel anyway.

Would be useful up Muswell Hill, though!

As an aside, TheBus - the bus service on the island of O'ahu has a
two bike bike rack on the front of their buses. Photo of one being
used here... http://www.showbus.co.uk/gallery/for...sa/thebus4.htm

That's quite good. I have a feeling the health & safety might not
like it here, but i'm sure something could be worked out. Would be so
easy to do.

You could put the bikes on the back instead. On the front it's a hazard to
any errant pedestrians, and would violate the Construction & Use Regulations
or whatever applies to buses.

And how about bikes on the back of tube trains? Now, that *would* get
Health & Safety excited!

--
Richard J.

Old August 14th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:31:00 +0100, Richard J.
wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Oh yes, the little yobs hanging about the streets would love that!

--
Fig
Old August 14th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:31:00 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

You could put the bikes on the back instead. On the front it's a hazard to
any errant pedestrians, and would violate the Construction & Use Regulations
or whatever applies to buses.

Or at off-peak times you could put them inside, like they do in
Hamburg - and like I also saw done in Dallas!

Seat belt-type fixtures could be provided to secure them into the
wheelchair/buggy space if there is real paranoia about them causing
injury.

It's a service that would look good, but would actually have few
takers because it would largely be a (very useful) rescue service.
Good publicity but almost no ill effect.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 15th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Neil Williams
writes
wrote:

You could put the bikes on the back instead. On the front it's a hazard to
any errant pedestrians, and would violate the Construction & Use Regulations
or whatever applies to buses.

Or at off-peak times you could put them inside, like they do in
Hamburg - and like I also saw done in Dallas!

Bike racks on the front of buses seem to be very common in the US.

There is or was a rural route in Shropshire which had special provision
for bicycle carriage but there it was on the back, I seem to recall.

Amazing what some places *do* allow on vehicles, though. An Australian
friend of mine once asked what the arrangements were for carrying
surfboards on local trains here in Birmingham. I don't *think* Central
Trains have a specific rule on that one.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk