Old August 10th 07, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No Cycles Between Stations?

I have been reading the TFL website to see which tube lines I can take a
bicycle on.

I can fully understand the sections that you CANNOT use but one seems odd to
me.

You can travel with a bicycle from Edgware to Colindale and Hendon Central
to Golders Green.

Why can't I travel all the way through? Ok it is a tunnelled section but
their are NO stations in between.

Any clues??

Old August 10th 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 7:05 pm, "Ryan" ??? wrote:
Why can't I travel all the way through? Ok it is a tunnelled section but
their are NO stations in between.

Presumably it's in case the train needs to be evacuated while stopped
in the tunnel.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old August 11th 07, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Ryan
writes

I have been reading the TFL website to see which tube lines I can take a
bicycle on.

I can fully understand the sections that you CANNOT use but one seems odd to
me.

You can travel with a bicycle from Edgware to Colindale and Hendon Central
to Golders Green.

Why can't I travel all the way through? Ok it is a tunnelled section but
their are NO stations in between.

Any clues??

Aye, it's the carrying of cycles though tube tunnels that is banned by
the Railway Inspectorate (or whatever they're called these days).

We have similar issues on the Picc. as we can only carry bikes from
Cockfosters to Oakwood as there is tunnel through Southgate.
Old August 11th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:22:32 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald
] wrote:

Aye, it's the carrying of cycles though tube tunnels that is banned by
the Railway Inspectorate (or whatever they're called these days).

Best not tell Merseyrail, then - or is it because the Tube trains
themselves might need to be evacuated from the ends, and a Class 508
unit has a lot more space to get a bike out of the way than a Tube
train?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 11th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

] wrote:

Aye, it's the carrying of cycles though tube tunnels that is banned
by the Railway Inspectorate (or whatever they're called these days).

Best not tell Merseyrail, then - or is it because the Tube trains
themselves might need to be evacuated from the ends, and a Class 508
unit has a lot more space to get a bike out of the way than a Tube
train?

In particular, a bike at one of the car ends on a Tube train, where there
are single sliding doors and restricted space, would impede access to the
end doors for evacuation. Class 508 has only double sliding doors.
--
Richard J.

Old August 12th 07, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

] wrote:

Aye, it's the carrying of cycles though tube tunnels that is banned by
the Railway Inspectorate (or whatever they're called these days).

Best not tell Merseyrail, then - or is it because the Tube trains
themselves might need to be evacuated from the ends, and a Class 508
unit has a lot more space to get a bike out of the way than a Tube
train?

In particular, a bike at one of the car ends on a Tube train, where
there are single sliding doors and restricted space, would impede access
to the end doors for evacuation. Class 508 has only double sliding
doors.

Does that mean that if tube trains only had double doors, they could carry
bikes?

I thought the bike thing was to do with the need to be able to evacuate
out the ends. Does Merseyrail have tunnels where it's possible to go out
the sides instead?

tom

--
My goal wasn't to make a ton of money. It was to build good computers. --
Woz
Old August 12th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

In particular, a bike at one of the car ends on a Tube train, where
there are single sliding doors and restricted space, would impede
access to the end doors for evacuation. Class 508 has only double
sliding doors.

Does that mean that if tube trains only had double doors, they could
carry bikes?

I thought the bike thing was to do with the need to be able to evacuate
out the ends. Does Merseyrail have tunnels where it's possible to go
out the sides instead?

The reason I've always been given is that they would impede evacuation
of the (tube) train in an emergency. The only was to evacuate a tube
train in a tunnel would be through the M (driver's cab out to the world)
and J (passenger saloon to driver's cab) doors. There's not a lot of
room to start with and a bike or two would make things really difficult.
Old August 12th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:02:45 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

I thought the bike thing was to do with the need to be able to evacuate
out the ends. Does Merseyrail have tunnels where it's possible to go out
the sides instead?

The Loop tunnels are fairly tight, but I imagine it would be possible
to squeeze out between the train and the tunnel walls in most places -
though I doubt that would be the official evacuation route.

It's probably because the coaches are wider and as such a bike can be
easily moved out of the way. I note that they appear to be permitted
on all sections of the (larger) sub-surface lines.

That said, thinking on bikes does vary in different locations. In
Hamburg, for instance, bikes are permitted on all public transport
including buses (you just put it in the wheelchair place and keep hold
of it) though I think in a year I only once saw someone actually do
so, as it's a bit of a rescue service as actually riding the bike
tends to be faster than bus travel anyway.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 12th 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I thought the bike thing was to do with the need to be able to evacuate
out the ends. Does Merseyrail have tunnels where it's possible to go out
the sides instead?

The Loop tunnels are fairly tight, but I imagine it would be possible
to squeeze out between the train and the tunnel walls in most places -
though I doubt that would be the official evacuation route.

It's probably because the coaches are wider and as such a bike can be
easily moved out of the way. I note that they appear to be permitted
on all sections of the (larger) sub-surface lines.

In the case of LU there is also the deep tube stations to consider,
especially in the peaks, very few actually lend themselves to bikes being
wheeled about the platforms and interconnecting spaces. So for consistency's
sake and to avoid persistent debate, the odd couple of short tube tunnels
with no stations have to be 'sacrificed'...

Paul

Old August 12th 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:17:25 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

In the case of LU there is also the deep tube stations to consider,
especially in the peaks, very few actually lend themselves to bikes being
wheeled about the platforms and interconnecting spaces. So for consistency's
sake and to avoid persistent debate, the odd couple of short tube tunnels
with no stations have to be 'sacrificed'...

That's a good point. Being built in the 70s, the Merseyrail stations
are far more spacious, and also fully accessible by lift.

Neil

--
Neil Williams