Old September 1st 07, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default GNER/Tube/Airport timing

If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

Old September 1st 07, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 1, 2:34 pm, Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

According to http://nationalrail.co.uk/, if you leave Leeds at 0640
then you'll get to Gatwick at 1000. Take the 0530 from Leeds if you
want more leeway. (This is for weekdays)

Old September 1st 07, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:54:39 -0700, brixtonite
wrote:

On Sep 1, 2:34 pm, Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

According to http://nationalrail.co.uk/, if you leave Leeds at 0640
then you'll get to Gatwick at 1000. Take the 0530 from Leeds if you
want more leeway. (This is for weekdays)

That is a very tight underground journey, allowing 41 minutes to get
to the train at Victoria. The 0605 from Leeds, followed by the 0804
from Kings Cross Thameslink, arriving Gatwick 0955, has 30 minutes
transfer time at Kings Cross, and appreciably less walking.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old September 2nd 07, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Sep, 14:34, Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

You do mean Gatwick? The reason I ask is Heathrow has rail connections
known as "Express" and "Connect" - Gatwick has only "Express"

(Or perhaps you meant 'Connex', who used to run the local services
through Gatwick a number of years ago - it's Southern now).

Steve Adams

Old September 2nd 07, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Sep, 14:34, Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

You do mean Gatwick? The reason I ask is Heathrow has rail connections
known as "Express" and "Connect" - Gatwick has only "Express"

(Or perhaps you meant 'Connex', who used to run the local services
through Gatwick a number of years ago - it's Southern now).

Or 'Worst Capital' Connect? Perhaps news of Thameslink's changes are slow
to reach the north?

Paul

Old September 2nd 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 13:07:12 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 1 Sep, 14:34, Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

You do mean Gatwick? The reason I ask is Heathrow has rail connections
known as "Express" and "Connect" - Gatwick has only "Express"

(Or perhaps you meant 'Connex', who used to run the local services
through Gatwick a number of years ago - it's Southern now).

Or 'Worst Capital' Connect? Perhaps news of Thameslink's changes are slow
to reach the north?

They can call it what they like; I still call it Thameslink. (As do
the people I know who work for Worst Group.)

As it is, the OP seems to imply, like LHR, there being a service
called Gatwick Connect.
Old September 2nd 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

To be safe, and given check-in times, probably the night before.

Seriously.

If that's not possible, there's a 5.05am train from Leeds to London,
which will enable you to get the 8.15am Gatwick Express from Victoria to
Gatwick, getting you to Gatwick for 8.45am. I wouldn't *plan* to travel
any later than that - that way, you've a little bit of cushion time if
you encounter any kind of delay during the journey.

--

Stephen

A doodle. I do doodle. You too -- you do doodle, too.
Old September 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 2, 4:36 pm, Stephen Farrow wrote:
Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

To be safe, and given check-in times, probably the night before.

Seriously.

If that's not possible, there's a 5.05am train from Leeds to London,
which will enable you to get the 8.15am Gatwick Express from Victoria to
Gatwick, getting you to Gatwick for 8.45am. I wouldn't *plan* to travel
any later than that - that way, you've a little bit of cushion time if
you encounter any kind of delay during the journey.

This illustrates perfectly how quick air travel is.

Old September 2nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stephen Farrow" wrote in message
Russ wrote:
If you were going from Leeds to London to Gatwick Airport via GNER,
Tubes, and Gatwick Express or Connect, and your international flight
out was at 12 noon, what time would a person need to depart Leeds?

To be safe, and given check-in times, probably the night before.

Seriously.

If that's not possible, there's a 5.05am train from Leeds to London, which
will enable you to get the 8.15am Gatwick Express from Victoria to
Gatwick, getting you to Gatwick for 8.45am. I wouldn't *plan* to travel
any later than that - that way, you've a little bit of cushion time if you
encounter any kind of delay during the journey.

--

Stephen

A doodle. I do doodle. You too -- you do doodle, too.

I have a 1300 flight from LHR picked from 4 departures through the day so I
can get from home on the same day. I'm catching the 0736 from Castle Cary
to Reading and then the rail air bus to Heathrow and HEX to T4. My guess
is that I'll get to T4 about 1015. I could have caught the train an hour
earlier but I have the advantage over the OP that I can get a train on from
Reading to somewhere like Slough and pick up a taxi or even taxi fom Reading
or Newbury if things go a bit pear shaped or the M4 is reported bad. You
have to have some faith in the system working!

That said, I reckon the 0640 is far too tight. I'd go for an earlier train
and I would seriously consider spending the night at Gatwick. The distance
is longer and the ability to improvise if things do go wrong is less.

Old September 3rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 20:28:36 +0100, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

That said, I reckon the 0640 is far too tight. I'd go for an earlier train
and I would seriously consider spending the night at Gatwick. The distance
is longer and the ability to improvise if things do go wrong is less.

Also, some airlines will let you check in the night before.

GNER train waiting on M1 Junction 10 df London Transport 12 September 20th 03 08:12 AM
GNER CJG London Transport 1 September 14th 03 01:32 PM
GNER/HEAT Clive D. W. Feather London Transport 22 August 8th 03 07:53 AM
GNER/HEAT Dave London Transport 0 August 4th 03 09:51 PM
GNER/HEAT Dave London Transport 0 August 4th 03 09:23 PM