Old September 3rd 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bob Crow is a Complete and Utter B*ST*RD!

MIG ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

And why don't people take out their anger on those responsible for the
PPP scam, rather than those about to lose their jobs and pensions as a
result of it?

Because this strike's got nothing to do with the creation of PPP/PFI.

It's got everything to do with a greedy self-publicist empire builder
causing chaos for the hell of it by demanding the physically impossible.

Again.

I assume that you are referring to Gordon Brown, who forced PPP on
London against just about everyone else's advice that it was
unworkable.

RMT member, are you?

Old September 3rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in message
In message , Barry Salter
writes
From the RMT website:

MORE THAN 2,300 RMT members at collapsed Tube privateer Metronet will
begin a 72-hour strike at 18:00 tonight after the company and its
administrator failed to give the unequivocal guarantees on jobs, transfers
and pensions that the union is seeking.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Bob Crow is probably on the
best money he's ever made in his life and can probably look forward to
seat in the Lords.

Unless the next prime minister is George Galloway, Bob Crow has less chance
of ending up in the House of Lords than I do.

Thanks to him most of his member probably have nothing to look forward to
but empty pay packets and dwindling job prospects.

They are free to vote someone else as their leader if they wanted to. So far
they have not chosen to do so.

Peter Smyth

Old September 3rd 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote in
. 245.131:

RMT member, are you?

Oh dear - still posting here I see after your taxi passenger debacle.
What would you do if you were a Metronet worker?

E.
Old September 3rd 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(about subject) Hear, hear!
I suspect that as an old commie he is trying to destroy capitalist
society from inside.

Old September 3rd 07, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 15:53:07 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

From the RMT website:

MORE THAN 2,300 RMT members at collapsed Tube privateer Metronet will
begin a 72-hour strike at 18:00 tonight after the company and its
administrator failed to give the unequivocal guarantees on jobs,
transfers and pensions that the union is seeking.

[snip]

"We said from the start that our members were not prepared to pay for
the collapse of Metronet with their jobs and pensions, and that remains
our bottom line.

"What our members want is to be transferred to a public-sector
organisation, and that is the only way in which their jobs and pensions
can be protected," Bob Crow said.

And having made it home in a seething, packed train and then seen him
"apologising" to the travelling public on the telly I'm not full of love
and nice thoughts for Mr Crow.

The bit he knows but conveniently fails to mention is that the
Administrator's legal duty is not centred on protecting pensions. While
I fully understand why the staff at Metronet are rightly concerned about
pensions Mr Crow is demanding the impossible and he knows it.

Going on strike is not the right way to secure the long term result he
says he wants which is to transfer Metronet work back to the public
sector. Why on earth would anyone wish to give him even more industrial
power by being able to pull even more people out on strike? This sort
of crap is just the sort of thing that Ken's political opponents want in
order to undermine the Mayor's policies on transport that I suspect most
people probably support.

God knows what it is going to be like tomorrow - I might make it in but
how on earth I (and thousands of others) are going to get home I have no
idea if everything is as packed as I expect it to be. And to think we've
got 8 days of this if next week's action goes ahead!

--
Paul C

Old September 3rd 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 3, 8:02 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 15:53:07 +0100, Barry Salter

wrote:
From the RMT website:

[...]

Of course if you work for a private company, you have very little
rights if it gets taken over or goes bust. Certainly not some dinosaur
Marxist on a fat salary calling a strike at the meerest though of any
possible future problems with pensions or staffing levels.

Neill

Old September 3rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

Going on strike is not the right way to secure the long term result he
says he wants which is to transfer Metronet work back to the public
sector.

On the contrary, we are talking short term - it could well precipitate a
deal for TFL to take it over, which I see is being investigated.

E.
Old September 3rd 07, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

The bit he knows but conveniently fails to mention is that the
Administrator's legal duty is not centred on protecting pensions. While
I fully understand why the staff at Metronet are rightly concerned about
pensions Mr Crow is demanding the impossible and he knows it.

Going on strike is not the right way to secure the long term result he
says he wants which is to transfer Metronet work back to the public
sector. Why on earth would anyone wish to give him even more industrial
power by being able to pull even more people out on strike? This sort
of crap is just the sort of thing that Ken's political opponents want in
order to undermine the Mayor's policies on transport that I suspect most
people probably support.

What happens if Mr Crow's helpful stance results in the administrators
handing in the keys tomorrow and giving up their attempts to find a buyer or
indeed any other possible solution?

Paul S

Old September 3rd 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Sep, 20:02, Paul Corfield wrote:
The bit he knows but conveniently fails to mention is that the
Administrator's legal duty is not centred on protecting pensions. While
I fully understand why the staff at Metronet are rightly concerned about
pensions Mr Crow is demanding the impossible and he knows it.

Only way he'll be happy is if the government step in and guarentee the
pot. It'll be political suicide for Brown though, after his pension
taxes. Ken hasn't got the budget.

God knows what it is going to be like tomorrow - I might make it in but
how on earth I (and thousands of others) are going to get home I have no
idea if everything is as packed as I expect it to be. And to think we've
got 8 days of this if next week's action goes ahead!

25 miles each way on me bike, although I might try for on-street
parking arround Harrow and Wealdstone and riding 8 miles in, but I
don't know the area.

Old September 3rd 07, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 3, 3:53 pm, Barry Salter wrote:
A second 72-hour strike is scheduled to start at the same time next
Monday, September 10.

I think its written into the RMT constitution that they have to have
at least 1 strike a year on the tube. If it wasn't this they'd
probably be walking out over the colour of the bog rolls. Is there a
strike rota for different professions? Drivers one year, signalmen the
next , now track workers? Perhaps theres a requirement that they all
have to practice industrial action once every few years just to keep
the old memories alive.

B2003