Old October 23rd 07, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What is the point of Cannon Street (National Rail) Station?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Londoncityslicker wrote:

On 22 Oct, 11:28, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:01:11AM -0700, wrote:

plus the popularity of Borough Market and Borough High Street
generally.

Of course, the retail market is only busy on Saturdays, when the City
is closed.

There doesn't seem to be much fuss over Smithfield Market being knocked
down.

First i've heard of it. What exactly is planned to be done to Smithfield?

tom

--
HE TORE HIS FACE OFF!!!

Old October 23rd 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Londoncityslicker wrote:

On 22 Oct, 11:28, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:01:11AM -0700, wrote:

plus the popularity of Borough Market and Borough High Street
generally.

Of course, the retail market is only busy on Saturdays, when the
City is closed.

There doesn't seem to be much fuss over Smithfield Market being
knocked down.

First i've heard of it. What exactly is planned to be done to Smithfield?

There is a proposal to demolish the so-called "General Market" at
Smithfield (ie the buildings which face on to Farringdon Street). This
proposal doesn't affect the much better known East and West Markets,
which are what most people picture when they think of Smithfield.
Indeed, these have been much modernised over the years.

That said, there's something of a storm of protest even over the
redevelopment of the General Market with a public enquiry planned for -
I think - next month.

For the record, Borough Market is open for retail purposes on Thursday
and Friday afternoons and all day on Saturdays. For wholesale purposes
it's open every night except for Saturdays/Sundays.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old October 23rd 07, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There doesn't seem to be much fuss over Smithfield Market being
knocked down.

Even though thats just as historic.

Its not being knocked down. Thats one of the few things round there
that's going to be left alone.
There is an office development threatening the "General Market" at
Smithfield, but that's the boarded up building on farringdon street
not "THE smithfield market" building.

Its a pity they couldn't think of an excuse to demolish the "Poultry
Market" there, I'm sure there are people who would be glad to loose it.

Old October 24th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Londoncityslicker wrote:

There doesn't seem to be much fuss over Smithfield Market being
knocked down.

First i've heard of it. What exactly is planned to be done to
Smithfield?

There is a proposal to demolish the so-called "General Market" at
Smithfield (ie the buildings which face on to Farringdon Street). This
proposal doesn't affect the much better known East and West Markets,
which are what most people picture when they think of Smithfield.

Okay. Still, i wouldn't say the General Market is without historical and
aesthetic value:

http://www.ludgatecircus.com/smithfi...ral_market.htm
http://www.urban75.org/london/smithfield-market.html
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=317287&page=9 (Phoenix Columns, i hear)

Is the demolition of the General Market necessary for something (Crossrail
or Thameslink), or is it just so someone can build an office block? I get
the impression from my brief reading that it's the latter.

tom

--
Understand the world we're living in
Old October 24th 07, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

On Oct 22, 11:28 am, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:01:11AM -0700, wrote:

Oh God!!
The people who go to Borough market on Saturday!

Man to child:
"Alexander Alexander ! Time for LUNCH Alexander ! Ou est le fromage
Alexander? Ou est le fromage? Time for LUNCH. LUNCH!! LUNCH
Alexander!!!!!!"

Old October 24th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

In message .com,
Offramp writes
On Oct 22, 11:28 am, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:01:11AM -0700, wrote:

Oh God!!
The people who go to Borough market on Saturday!

Man to child:
"Alexander Alexander ! Time for LUNCH Alexander ! Ou est le fromage
Alexander? Ou est le fromage? Time for LUNCH. LUNCH!! LUNCH
Alexander!!!!!!"

As someone who often does walking tours of Bankside/Borough at weekends,
that has given me one of those delightful if messy coffee on keyboard
moments! :-))

Old October 24th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Londoncityslicker wrote:

There doesn't seem to be much fuss over Smithfield Market being
knocked down.
First i've heard of it. What exactly is planned to be done to
Smithfield?

There is a proposal to demolish the so-called "General Market" at
Smithfield (ie the buildings which face on to Farringdon Street).
This proposal doesn't affect the much better known East and West
Markets, which are what most people picture when they think of Smithfield.

Okay. Still, i wouldn't say the General Market is without historical
and aesthetic value:

No, nor would I.

Snip

Is the demolition of the General Market necessary for something
(Crossrail or Thameslink), or is it just so someone can build an office
block? I get the impression from my brief reading that it's the latter.

My understanding is that it's for apartments (that's "flats" to you and
me) but I could be wrong.

Old October 25th 07, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Oct, 22:23, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Tom
Anderson writes

[...]

Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide for London and the Heart of Englandhttp://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

The General Market isn't that near Crossrail - its to the south.
Thameslink does run under it, but that would just be track, not
platform, even with the plans for Farringdon. Its just an office block
that they plan to demolish it for.

Old October 26th 07, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Offramp wrote:

Oh God!!
The people who go to Borough market on Saturday!

Man to child:
"Alexander Alexander ! Time for LUNCH Alexander ! Ou est le fromage
Alexander? Ou est le fromage? Time for LUNCH. LUNCH!! LUNCH
Alexander!!!!!!"

Eeek! Too close to home!

Was in Fes, Morocco. Sitting on the windowsill of the hotel watching the
birds in the olive and palm trees. Eating some Chaumes we'd just purchased.
Went to rip open the bag and it slipped out of my hands, down into the
bushes below.... saw the door staff watch it fall.

Ran downstairs, door staff standing impassionatly, "Ou est moi fromage?" i
asked in best schoolboy French. Not a movement, not a flicker ....

So i dived into the bushes, discovered it floating, still in the bag, in a
small ornamental pond. "Ici moi fromage!" i exclaimed, holding up the
dripping bag... pulling the twigs out of my hair...

Still thay just looked on... with a "Bloody crazy these Brits!" look on
their faces..

No idea why but it became the catch phrase of the holiday. "Ou est moi
fromage?" would reduce us to a puddle of laughter.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old October 28th 07, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Les Hemmings wrote:
Offramp wrote:

[...]

I suspect the hotel staff were as much amused by your search as by your
somewhat ungrammatical question "where is I/me cheese?" (moi fromage)
rather than "where is my cheese" (mon fromage) ;-)