Old August 20th 03, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "The West" to Surbiton by rail?

This Saturday morning I'm dropping a mate off after a trip to Bristol, and
he wants to get to Surbiton for another party (I know - "ligger!" We had
noticed).

Anyway, I'll be driving back up the M4 with a view to cutting off north at
some point as the rest of us are driving on to Cambridgeshire.

Rather than drive him all the way "dahn sarf", I thought I could drop him at
Reading or Heathrow or similar and he could make his way on to Surbiton from
there.

Anyone recommend a good dropping off point to transfer to either mainline
rail and/or tube, please?

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old August 20th 03, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
This Saturday morning I'm dropping a mate off after a trip to Bristol, and
he wants to get to Surbiton for another party (I know - "ligger!" We had
noticed).

Anyway, I'll be driving back up the M4 with a view to cutting off north at
some point as the rest of us are driving on to Cambridgeshire.

Rather than drive him all the way "dahn sarf", I thought I could drop him

at
Reading or Heathrow or similar and he could make his way on to Surbiton

from
there.

Anyone recommend a good dropping off point to transfer to either mainline
rail and/or tube, please?

Heathrow Express, whilst a good service, is *very* expensive (£ per mile,
the highest in the country), so I would avoid that. Likewise, the Piccadilly
line tube service from Heathrow is slow and would require a further change
to get to Waterloo, for Surbiton services.

Bear in mind that, this weekend, there are *NO* mainline services between
Reading and Paddington, due to engineering work at Slough. However, the
South West Trains service from Reading to Waterloo (change at Clapham
Junction for Surbiton services) is running.

The only thing that I would point out is that it is Reading Festival weekend
and the town centre may be very busy. Therefore you may find it easier to
leave the motorway at junction 10 and take the A329 into Wokingham and drop
him at Wokingham rail station, where the Waterloo service from Reading also
calls.

HTH

Old August 20th 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

And indeed, First Great Western are running some services direct into
Waterloo on the Windsor side, though don't know if they stop at Clapham
Jn.

Old August 20th 03, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Anyone recommend a good dropping off point to transfer to either

mainline
rail and/or tube, please?

Bear in mind that, this weekend, there are *NO* mainline services between
Reading and Paddington, due to engineering work at Slough. However, the
South West Trains service from Reading to Waterloo (change at Clapham
Junction for Surbiton services) is running.

The only thing that I would point out is that it is Reading Festival

weekend
and the town centre may be very busy. Therefore you may find it easier to
leave the motorway at junction 10 and take the A329 into Wokingham and

drop
him at Wokingham rail station, where the Waterloo service from Reading

also
calls.

Very helpful. Thanks.

Old August 20th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Julian Morison" wrote in message
news:b640910a4590988a4a540ac4a9c65192.74157@mygate .mailgate.org...
And indeed, First Great Western are running some services direct into
Waterloo on the Windsor side, though don't know if they stop at Clapham
Jn.

Even if they're not, he could still get to Surbiton from Waterloo.

Old August 20th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Jack Taylor
writes
Heathrow Express, whilst a good service, is *very* expensive (£ per mile,
the highest in the country)

No it's not. Both the Waterloo and City and Snowdon Mountain Railway are
more expensive.
--
"It used to be that what a writer did was type a bit and then stare out of the
window a bit, type a bit, stare out of the window a bit. Networked computers
Old August 20th 03, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Brian Watson
writes
Rather than drive him all the way "dahn sarf", I thought I could drop him at
Reading or Heathrow or similar and he could make his way on to Surbiton from
there.

None of those are terribly helpful (to you, never mind him). Reading
station is a *long* way from the M4, for example. The quickest way from
Bristol to Cambridge is via Birmingham :-(

Having lived in Surbiton, it's a real pain to get to from the NW.

A compromise might be Chertsey (maybe ten minutes more out of your way
than Heathrow, and half an hour by train to Surbiton with a change at
Weybridge).
Old August 20th 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In article , Jack
Taylor writes
Heathrow Express, whilst a good service, is *very* expensive (£ per
mile, the highest in the country)

No it's not. Both the Waterloo and City and Snowdon Mountain Railway
are more expensive.

Not to mention Covent Garden to Leicester Square by tube, which from January
2004 will be £12.50 per mile if you buy a single ticket (non-Oyster).
--
Richard J.

Old August 20th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In article , Jack Taylor
writes
Heathrow Express, whilst a good service, is *very* expensive (£ per mile,
the highest in the country)

No it's not. Both the Waterloo and City and Snowdon Mountain Railway are
more expensive.

If you're going to count the W&C on the single fare, how about the
Piccadilly Line (Leicester Square-Covent Garden)?

--
James Farrar |
London SE 13 |

Old August 20th 03, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J.
writes
Both the Waterloo and City and Snowdon Mountain Railway
are more expensive.

Not to mention Covent Garden to Leicester Square by tube, which from January
2004 will be £12.50 per mile if you buy a single ticket (non-Oyster).

Except your example isn't an end-to-end journey on a plausible route.
You could claim that asking a taxi to take you to the other side of the
street was £100 a mile, but that wouldn't prove anything useful.