Old October 23rd 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Strange Pasenger Anouncement

Hi group, heard this one yesterday from a tube driver:

"Due to activation of the emergency alarm on the following train we have
been asked to wait at this station for 2 minutes"

Why would the train behind effect the one in front? This was on a
northbound Jubilee train at Bond Street about 1720 Monday.

--
Fig

Old October 23rd 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Fig wrote:

Why would the train behind effect the one in front? This was on a
northbound Jubilee train at Bond Street about 1720 Monday.

To Regulate The Service. If your train went off as normal, and the guy
behind took five minutes to clear the alarm, a five-minute gap would have
been introduced into the sequence of trains. Your train waiting meant that
there was one two-minute gap and one three-minute (or whatever).

tom

--
HE TORE HIS FACE OFF!!!
Old October 23rd 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

To Regulate The Service. If your train went off as normal, and the guy
behind took five minutes to clear the alarm, a five-minute gap would have
been introduced into the sequence of trains. Your train waiting meant that
there was one two-minute gap and one three-minute (or whatever).

What about the gap in ahead of the train?

E.
Old October 23rd 07, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 23, 10:39 pm, eastender wrote:
In article ,

To Regulate The Service. If your train went off as normal, and the guy
behind took five minutes to clear the alarm, a five-minute gap would have
been introduced into the sequence of trains. Your train waiting meant that
there was one two-minute gap and one three-minute (or whatever).

What about the gap in ahead of the train?

E.

The rule is that if I am approaching the platform, the train will
leave and I'll be stuck there waiting for the delayed one, but if I am
on the train, it will be held to regulate the service. There is
probably a name for this law.

Old October 24th 07, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, MIG
writes
The rule is that if I am approaching the platform, the train will
leave and I'll be stuck there waiting for the delayed one, but if I am
on the train, it will be held to regulate the service. There is
probably a name for this law.

I'll open with Yerkes' Law as a suggestion. Any others?!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old October 24th 07, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 24, 1:04 am, David of Broadway
wrote:
eastender wrote:
In article ,

To Regulate The Service. If your train went off as normal, and the guy
behind took five minutes to clear the alarm, a five-minute gap would have
been introduced into the sequence of trains. Your train waiting meant that
there was one two-minute gap and one three-minute (or whatever).

What about the gap in ahead of the train?

Let's say the scheduled headway is 10 minutes, and it takes 5 minutes to
clear up the problem.

If no corrective action is taken, there will be a 15-minute gap ahead of
the train in question and a 5-minute gap behind it. It will encounter
much-larger-than-usual loads waiting for the train at the rest of the
stations on the line, possibly overloading the train and increasing
dwell times, increasing the 15-minute gap even further.

Let's say that, as a corrective action, its leader and follower are each
instructed to hold for 2 minutes. Then the problem train will have a
13-minute gap ahead of it and a 7-minute gap behind it. Of course, now
the leader has a 12-minute gap ahead of it and the follower has an
8-minute gap behind it, but at least there are no 15-minute gaps.

Of course, more trains can be held to smooth out the perturbations even
further.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

And all this is measured by the Headway Clocks and are used to define
the day's perfomance.

Old October 24th 07, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:01:29 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message . com, MIG
writes
The rule is that if I am approaching the platform, the train will
leave and I'll be stuck there waiting for the delayed one, but if I am
on the train, it will be held to regulate the service. There is
probably a name for this law.

I'll open with Yerkes' Law as a suggestion. Any others?!

Yerkes' Second Law: Trains will only be held to regulate the service
at non-interchange stations.
Old October 24th 07, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:01:29 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message . com, MIG
writes
The rule is that if I am approaching the platform, the train will
leave and I'll be stuck there waiting for the delayed one, but if I am
on the train, it will be held to regulate the service. There is
probably a name for this law.

I'll open with Yerkes' Law as a suggestion. Any others?!

Yerkes' Second Law: Trains will only be held to regulate the service
at non-interchange stations.

I feel a serious document worthy of academic study coming on here.

Beck's Law: District/Metropolitan/H&C Line Trains come when waiting for
a Circle Line Train; Circle Line trains come when waiting for a

Old October 24th 07, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

Beck's Law: District/Metropolitan/H&C Line Trains come when waiting for
a Circle Line Train; Circle Line trains come when waiting for a
District/Metropolitan/H&C Line Train.

Beck's second law: if you change from District to Piccadilly at Barons
Court Westbound, at least two Ealing Broadway trains will reach Acton
Town before an Uxbridge train turns up.

If you don't, one will overtake you.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old October 24th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

I'll open with Yerkes' Law as a suggestion. Any others?!

Yerkes' Second Law: Trains will only be held to regulate the service
at non-interchange stations.

I feel a serious document worthy of academic study coming on here.

Beck's Law: District/Metropolitan/H&C Line Trains come when waiting for
a Circle Line Train; Circle Line trains come when waiting for a
District/Metropolitan/H&C Line Train.

Earls Law: 'Olympia' 'Richmond' and 'Special' Trains shall come when
waiting at Earls Court for a Wimbledon train

mf