Old January 7th 05, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Strange Journeys

TfL's Journey Planner can be very useful but it can also come up with strange
results. I think I've now solved the frustrating problem of repeatedly being
told there's an "internal error" and my session has "expired" - the trick is
not to click on the one journey time details, but take the batch at the end,
even if you remove some ticks.
(sounds like an insect control procedure).
But strange results can still occur. I tried to check a route from my road to
the British Library's Colindale site. Having first ascertained which part of my
road I was coming from (not that it makes much difference), the Tfl came up
with a journey to "Graham Park library, Colindale". Not sure this is what I
want, I thought I'd check the journey end map to see what it showed. Click on
end map
Up came a map showing me a walking route from the British Dental Association
museum at Marylebone to Kings Cross station, Thameslink.
Is this an application of "Post-Modenism" to software programming?
Well, I suppose it's interesting. I did not even realise there was a dental
museum. Do they keep famous people's teeth? I suppose it could be more
interesting than looking at a load of boring old newspapers at Colindale, if
your imagination's so inclined.
Have other list members had similarly strange TfL experiences?

Old January 7th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I agree that the Journey planner is a bit wierd - pick an end
destination that is very specific and it can give you very strange
routes.

For example, I work in Victoria and wanted to go to a friend's after
work who lives just off the main road past Hackney Town Hall (he
actually lives right on the 277 bus route). If I key in his road as a
destination, rather than "Hackney Town Hall", Journey Planner gives me
a route with the Victoria Line to Highbury (!) and then a loooong
journey on the 277.

Now, some people may know that the 38 bus goes from Victoria station
straight to Hackney Town Hall - does this come up as a possible route
with "38 bus and then a 5 minute walk"? Nope :-\ Journey planner is
worse than useless IMHO...