Old November 7th 07, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London day trip - which travel card?

Myself and a friend will be in London for a day in a few weeks time, and
would like some advice on if, and which, travelcard we should buy.

We expect to make 3 or 4 Tube journeys in the central area.
Is it worthwhile getting a one day card, or just pay for individual
journeys?
Also, can they be bought in advance for a particular day?
Thanks
Alan.

Old November 7th 07, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 07:55, (A.Lee) wrote:
Myself and a friend will be in London for a day in a few weeks time, and
would like some advice on if, and which, travelcard we should buy.

We expect to make 3 or 4 Tube journeys in the central area.
Is it worthwhile getting a one day card, or just pay for individual
journeys?
Also, can they be bought in advance for a particular day?
Thanks
Alan.

Get a pre-pay Oyster card from the first Tube ticket office (not
machine) you arrive at, and load that with pre-pay credit for single
journeys. A £3 returnable deposit is payable. As you use this credit,
the card keeps track of the journeys you make over a single day and
will "cap" the cash deducted at a set rate, currently 50p less than
the price of the equivalent One day Travelcard (which Travelcard is
equivalent, and the fare paid, will depend on which zones you travel
through). Fares and capping rates at www.tfl.gov.uk. The "cap" will be
higher if you start your journeys before 0930.

Old November 7th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 7, 8:41 am, Keith Raeburn wrote:
On 7 Nov, 07:55, (A.Lee) wrote:

[...]

But if you plan to make any journeys on National Rail, it may not be
valid and you'll need a one day travelcard.

(I think that it really is outrageous that anyone has to do this
amount of research to avoid being ripped off.)

Old November 7th 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Keith Raeburn wrote:
On 7 Nov, 07:55, (A.Lee) wrote:
Myself and a friend will be in London for a day in a few weeks time, and
would like some advice on if, and which, travelcard we should buy.

Get a pre-pay Oyster card from the first Tube ticket office (not
machine) you arrive at, and load that with pre-pay credit for single
journeys. A £3 returnable deposit is payable. As you use this credit,
the card keeps track of the journeys you make over a single day and
will "cap" the cash deducted at a set rate, currently 50p less than
the price of the equivalent One day Travelcard (which Travelcard is
equivalent, and the fare paid, will depend on which zones you travel
through). Fares and capping rates at www.tfl.gov.uk. The "cap" will be
higher if you start your journeys before 0930.

As I thought, this is getting well complicated.
A 1 day Travelcard, off-peak, for Z1+2 is £5.10. I buy it at the first
tube stn., then just use it as much as I want on that day.
AIUI, the Oyster card is £1 per single journey, so it may work out
cheaper, but then I have the hassle of redeeming the £3 deposit when I
leave.
I can live with paying £5.10 for a day Travelcard - I certainly couldnt
live with £3 per single journey on the Tube!
Thanks
Alan.

Old November 7th 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 00:41:22 -0800, Keith Raeburn wrote:

Myself and a friend will be in London for a day in a few weeks time, and
would like some advice on if, and which, travelcard we should buy.

We expect to make 3 or 4 Tube journeys in the central area.
Is it worthwhile getting a one day card, or just pay for individual
journeys?
Also, can they be bought in advance for a particular day?

Get a pre-pay Oyster card from the first Tube ticket office (not
machine) you arrive at,

This is overkill for tourists (unless they are really strapped for
cash). They should just get One Day Travelcards each day.

Old November 7th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A.Lee wrote:
Myself and a friend will be in London for a day in a few weeks time, and
would like some advice on if, and which, travelcard we should buy.

If you are traveling by train the cheapest option may be to get an
out-boundary Travelcard from your home.

If you will only be traveling by LU/DLR/Bus on the day (no National
Rail), then Oyster will be cheaper if you don't consider the GBP 3
deposit. You can re-use it or cash it in.

If you don't want to bother with keeping or returning your Oyster card,
then the Travelcard will be cheaper.
--
Michael Hoffman