Old November 13th 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Eurostar's south London farewell

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

There won't be any booked trains. After they take the shoes off the E*s
the
only trains which will be physically capable of using it (dual voltage and
HS1 signalling) will be the Southeastern 395s (Javelin/Hitachi/Bullet
according to preference) and Southeastern have no plans to use the route.

What about class 92s? Any potential need for them to go that way?

Old November 14th 07, 06:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:00:55 +0000, Ar wrote:

At least Eurostar will get less people using the service. No matter
what you say, for day trippers from the continent, St.Pancras may as
well be on the backside of the moon.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but would expect that for a very high
proportion of Eurostar passengers the change in terminal won't make
enough difference to precipitate choosing a different transport mode
in place of Eurostar. Most would use Eurostar from any location
that's in zone 1, and has bus and tube connections. I shall miss the
approach through Vauxhall alongside the river, and the international
station at Waterloo, but will continue to use Eurostar nevertheless.

Martin
Old November 14th 07, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
"Dave" wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

There won't be any booked trains. After they take the shoes off the E*s
the only trains which will be physically capable of using it (dual
voltage and HS1 signalling) will be the Southeastern 395s
(Javelin/Hitachi/Bullet according to preference) and Southeastern have no
plans to use the route.

What about class 92s? Any potential need for them to go that way?

They wouldn't be using HS1 anyway would they?

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old November 14th 07, 07:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Ar wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:00:55 +0000, Ar scribed:

I'd rather see the city as you ride through it, then tunnels. The new
Eurostar route is about as interesting as catching some overground
trains from Brussels Zuid, southbound.

I meant northbound of course! The Eurostar comes from the south into
Brussels.

Anyway, for visually unintersting bordom, I think this persons video
just about sums up the new Eurostar route.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GRF6d8EAg

The view of the QEII bridge is very impressive, which you don't really
see in the video.
Old November 14th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
In message
"Dave" wrote:

What about class 92s? Any potential need for them to go that way?

They wouldn't be using HS1 anyway would they?

ISTR that at present 92s don't have their signalling configured for HS1. If
any freight is to use HS1, this will have to be done, and 92s will haul any
freight on HS1 between Dollands Moor and Rainham. They *could* use
Southfleet to Fawkham if it's still open, though I can't really see the
point, as freight for south and west London (and Willesden/WCML, at least if
Barking to Gospel Oak doesn't get electrified) might as well use the
existing route via Maidstone East.

Peter

Old November 14th 07, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:56:38 UTC, schrieb Ar auf
uk.railway :

Anyway, for visually unintersting bordom, I think this persons video
just about sums up the new Eurostar route.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GRF6d8EAg

The view is exclusively to the "outer" side, if I may say so, i.e.
away from the central parts of London. No idea how the view to the
other side might look like.

I found strange that I could see tracks to the left of the train --
the line is supposed to be double track, and on Great Britain trains
run normally on the left track. Was this video taken on one of the
test runs with volunteers? Well, after the line is opened officially
for commercial traffic, we will see more imagery and videos.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old November 14th 07, 08:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Am Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:13:26 UTC, schrieb "Peter Masson"
auf uk.railway :

ISTR that at present 92s don't have their signalling configured for HS1. If
any freight is to use HS1, this will have to be done, and 92s will haul any
freight on HS1 between Dollands Moor and Rainham.

You mean the "Ripple lane" freight exit just short of the Eastern
portal of the East London tunnel, right? And they would start at
Calais-Fréthun rather than at the island side.

Why and how would the Class 92 locomotives have to be "configured
for HS1"? They do support TVM and KVB, don't they?

Cheers,
L.W.

Old November 14th 07, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Dave" wrote:

What about class 92s? Any potential need for them to go that way?

They wouldn't be using HS1 anyway would they?

[snip]
They *could* use Southfleet to Fawkham if it's still open, though I can't
really see the point, as freight for south and west London (and
Willesden/WCML, at least if Barking to Gospel Oak doesn't get electrified)
might as well use the existing route via Maidstone East.

That was my thinking.

Old November 14th 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang

Offramp wrote:
That was really good; it deserves to be in something like the South
London Press.

The South London Press said "****in' Channel Tunnel Rail Link ... Europe cut
off".

Old November 14th 07, 10:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13 Nov, 21:26, Ar wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:26:59 -0800, sweek scribed:

The original plans were to build a tunnel to Waterloo and keep that as
the terminal, but I think it was the borough of Lewisham that didn't
want that, which resulted in the current north London route.

If you remember where you got that info from I'd appreciate it. Never
heard of one borough objecting, but then again, it was a Labour
borough at the time.

It was certainly planned to go underground through South London. In
the small park just north of Peckham Rye station a public tennis court
was removed in preparation for the site to be a vent/construction
access point against some local opposition. It has now been grassed
over. That would be in Southwark, not Lewisham, however.

I can't remember which scheme that was, there have been so many!

MaxB