Old November 14th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar's south London farewell

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have been cheered seeing the Eurostar
making it's way across south London from the other side of the glass,
its passing presence being signalled by sound before sight as the
distinctive noise of the purring electric motors approaches - a noise
I once heard memorably described by an old lady as sounding like a
1,000 hairdriers all blowing at once! It has provided a bit of
romantic wonder to onlookers, whether they be on adjacent trains,
stations or just near the railway line - where are the people in the
sleek never-ending white and yellow train going to, or coming from...
a romantic Parisian liason, a far-away land, a first visit to London,
or an escape away from it...

And I remember, twenty years before Eurostar, similarly timing my walks with
the dog at night so as to catch the Night Ferry cruising through Beckenham
Junction on its way to meet the boat at Dover..

--
Walter Mann

Old November 14th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14 Nov, 20:06, "John Rowland"
wrote:
tfh of Hednesford wrote:
Anyone any idea why a Eurostar would be passing through Queenstown
Road while I was there yesterday?

Never seen one there before

see
http://tonyhunter2814.fotopic.net/p46649528.html
for photo

Wasn't that the standard route from Waterloo to North Pole Depot?

Yes, absolutely. But obviously, as of yesterday, no more.

Old November 14th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:57:09 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is one of the things that absolutely baffles me about the automated
signalling systems that are being deployed now - why is it the signalling
system that makes decisions about how fast a train should go, and not the
train?

I take it you are happy with the concept of double yellows?

This is basically very similar.
Old November 14th 07, 10:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 14 Nov, 20:06, "John Rowland"
wrote:
tfh of Hednesford wrote:
Anyone any idea why a Eurostar would be passing through Queenstown
Road while I was there yesterday?

Never seen one there before

see
http://tonyhunter2814.fotopic.net/p46649528.html
for photo

Wasn't that the standard route from Waterloo to North Pole Depot?

Yes, absolutely. But obviously, as of yesterday, no more.

Heading into Waterloo at 11:10 yesterday, perfectly possible at that time.

Old November 15th 07, 12:41 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Dave wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

On 14 Nov, 20:06, "John Rowland"
wrote:
tfh of Hednesford wrote:
Anyone any idea why a Eurostar would be passing through Queenstown
Road while I was there yesterday?

Never seen one there before

see
http://tonyhunter2814.fotopic.net/p46649528.html
for photo

Wasn't that the standard route from Waterloo to North Pole Depot?

Yes, absolutely. But obviously, as of yesterday, no more.

Heading into Waterloo at 11:10 yesterday, perfectly possible at that time.

Of course. Maybe I should have said "as of today, no more" - or indeed
"as of yesterday evening, no more" - however other posts here have
basically indicated that North Pole depot shut up shop yesterday, so
Eurostar ECS through Queenstown Road was basically a thing of the past
as soon as the last ECS move from North Pole to Waterloo Int'l
happened yesterday - and I've no idea when that was (i.e. whether
morning, afternoon or early evening)!

Old November 15th 07, 07:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Of course. Maybe I should have said "as of today, no more" - or indeed
"as of yesterday evening, no more" - however other posts here have
basically indicated that North Pole depot shut up shop yesterday, so
Eurostar ECS through Queenstown Road was basically a thing of the past

No, North Pole depot is still open but Waterloo International is shut!

Old November 15th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Of course. Maybe I should have said "as of today, no more" - or indeed
"as of yesterday evening, no more" - however other posts here have
basically indicated that North Pole depot shut up shop yesterday, so
Eurostar ECS through Queenstown Road was basically a thing of the past

No, North Pole depot is still open but Waterloo International is shut!

Not really John, though it depends upon what you mean by open. The
North Pole depot has basically shut up shop now, as AIUI there are no
longer any Eurostar trains there at all anymore, nor have there been
since the last Eurostar left for an an ECS move to Waterloo
International sometime on tuesday (13 Nov).

See this thread...
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....1c96be794a8b1/

....in particular the post from D7666 aka Nick where he says this

quote
[...] One piece of gen i picked up was that North Pole depot was
effectively cleared last week except for inspections on units required
for service. As of tonight it should be devoid of stock and parts
except for one barrier vehicle that is for scrap. The enhanced quasi-
border security is withdrawn at 06:00 tomorrow and from then on the
depot site is ''normal'' railway security.
/quote

I doubt there's much happening at all anymore at the North Pole depot.
Old November 15th 07, 08:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Of course. Maybe I should have said "as of today, no more" - or
indeed "as of yesterday evening, no more" - however other posts
here have basically indicated that North Pole depot shut up shop
yesterday, so Eurostar ECS through Queenstown Road was basically a
thing of the past

No, North Pole depot is still open but Waterloo International is
shut!

Not really John, though it depends upon what you mean by open. The
North Pole depot has basically shut up shop now, as AIUI there are no
longer any Eurostar trains there at all anymore, nor have there been
since the last Eurostar left for an an ECS move to Waterloo
International sometime on tuesday (13 Nov).

I'm sorry, I remember all the talk about how the Eurostars would use the NLL
to get from St Pancras to North Pole, and completely missed out on the
subsequent decision to close North Pole.

Old November 15th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:21:57 UTC, schrieb "BH Williams"
auf uk.railway :

The 92s do not have KVB, unless some of those acquired by Europorte have
been so fitted- I shall enquire- but do have BR AWS/TPWS.

I thought the Class 92 locomotives are designed to run in France,
too?

Cheers,
L.W.

Old November 15th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
G G is offline

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:00:55 +0000, Ar wrote:

At least Eurostar will get less people using the service. No matter
what you say, for day trippers from the continent, St.Pancras may as
well be on the backside of the moon.

So, by your logic, lots of people also avoid going to Paris for the
day because of the location of Gare du Nord?

I suspect that most day trippers would get off the train and look at a
tube map or jump in a taxi to get to what they want to see first. As
KX/StP has more tube connections than Waterloo not only can people
reach more central London destinations in one hop, they should also be
able to find their way back to the station more comfortably.

I wonder just how many E* travellers unfamiliar with London have ended
up on the southbound Bank branch of the Northern line expecting it to
take them to Waterloo...?