London Banter

-   -   LT Museum Reopens (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5901-lt-museum-reopens.html)

Mizter T November 23rd 07 05:33 PM

LT Museum Reopens

On 23 Nov, 18:21, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:
Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free - a
move which I think is great, but will no doubt be met with grumbles by
some (though depending on how things work out it might be sensible for
there to be a much reduced admission charge of say £1 for under 16s).

But do they take Oyster?

tom

Aha - indeed, what was I thinking, failing to even consider such a
crucial question! Would there be capping for multiple visits on one
day? What about a zone system so one could just visit the galleries
you wanted to visit? Is this where zones A-D are being redeployed to
in the new year?!

Would one get an unresolved journey if one left still feeling
unenlightened, or would that only occur if one exited the museum via
the loo windows and hence failed to touch-out? And when using Oyster
PAYG would one not be allowed to view any of the displays that
contained information about non-LU railways aka National Rail, unless
one bought at the least a weekly season ticket to the museum?

thoss[_2_] November 23rd 07 05:46 PM

LT Museum Reopens

At 18:21:15 on Fri, 23 Nov 2007 Tom Anderson opined:-

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:

Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free - a
move which I think is great, but will no doubt be met with grumbles by
some (though depending on how things work out it might be sensible for
there to be a much reduced admission charge of say £1 for under 16s).

But do they take Oyster?

I hope so, because then they would also take my Freedom Pass - wouldn't
they?
--
Thoss

Paul Corfield November 23rd 07 05:50 PM

LT Museum Reopens

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:48:16 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't be
able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any positive (or
otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for two years of
closure?

Not yet. I haven't even managed to get to the shop this week. I've not
had any feedback one way or the other as to how good or bad the museum
is.

I am tasked with organizing a visit for members of another usenet group
who wish to visit it. That won't be until the New Year.
--
Paul C

Steve Dulieu November 23rd 07 05:51 PM

LT Museum Reopens

"Mizter T" wrote in message
[...]

And I suppose the question needs to be asked, what of those of us jammy
enough to possess a staff pass?
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Mark Brader November 23rd 07 06:00 PM

LT Museum Reopens

Tom Anderson writes:
But do they take Oyster?

You may think you're joking, but at the New York Transit Museum --
possibly back when it was called the Transit Exhibit -- they used to
take subway tokens for admission.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Ever wonder why they call the screen
a vacuum tube?" -- Kent Paul Dolan

Paul Corfield November 23rd 07 06:21 PM

LT Museum Reopens

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:51:26 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

And I suppose the question needs to be asked, what of those of us jammy
enough to possess a staff pass?

You get in for nothing - just as before. I don't think any other
reductions are possible for people accompanying a member of staff
(unless they hold a dependent pass).
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield November 23rd 07 06:22 PM

LT Museum Reopens

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:00:05 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Tom Anderson writes:
But do they take Oyster?

You may think you're joking, but at the New York Transit Museum --
possibly back when it was called the Transit Exhibit -- they used to
take subway tokens for admission.

Indeed. I have a rather wonderful tie pin with a NYC token on it
purchased from the Transit Museum. Is it still in Brooklyn or has it
moved?
--
Paul C

Richard J.[_2_] November 23rd 07 07:06 PM

LT Museum Reopens

John Rowland wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't
be able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any
positive (or otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for
two years of closure?

Most of the people who have seen it have been disappointed.

How do you know?
--
Richard J.

[email protected] November 23rd 07 07:07 PM

LT Museum Reopens

Yes the old shop staff were rather more interested listening to their
Abba, Kylie Minogue and Banaramana CDs.

[email protected] November 23rd 07 07:14 PM

LT Museum Reopens

Is it true there are now only 4 buses left inside? More room for taxis
and sedan chairs perhaps rather than an RT-family type which was
familiar for 50-odd years? (But is no doubt deemed to look the "same"
as an RM.)

Ominously the Evening Standard praised the LTM as having lost its
"anorak" atmosphere so I for one fear the worst!

I hope it's not all hands-on/activity kid's stuff, "world cities" and
"inclusion" etc....