London Banter

-   -   LT Museum Reopens (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5901-lt-museum-reopens.html)

James Farrar November 27th 07 04:22 AM

LT Museum Reopens

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 01:17:57 -0500, David of Broadway
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:05:07 +0000, James Farrar wrote:

(And that reminds me, I haven't seen David of Broadway around for a
while...)

Hello there!

Now that's what I call service :)

James Farrar November 27th 07 04:23 AM

LT Museum Reopens

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:30:26 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

A quick look at various London Borough websites shows that they
variously refer to the Freedom Pass as being for "elderly" or (I feel
somewhat more appropriately) "older people".

Which, of course, leads to the inevitable reply "older than whom?"...

Arthur Figgis November 27th 07 06:51 AM

LT Museum Reopens

Mortimer wrote:
If
museums are to be made more appealing to children, there need to be other
museums for people who want serious scientific exhibits which provide
*information* and *explanation* as opposed just to fun and entertainment.

And for the geeky kids who want the hardcore stuff....

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Mr Thant November 27th 07 06:53 AM

LT Museum Reopens

On 27 Nov, 04:31, David of Broadway
wrote:
An interesting idea, if feasible.

I take it there's a track connection with the Met?

I don't believe so. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the old
Thameslink track gets reused to build stabling sidings, as the
existing ones just east of Farringdon are too short for 7 car S stock.
Though those sidings could then be used as a museum, as could the
others that will no longer be usable. I'd suggest Triangle Sidings
(within the Circle/District junction triangle in Kensington) - it has
plenty of space and is just down the street from the Science/Natural
History/V&A museums.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Epicentre November 27th 07 07:45 AM

Oyster e-money [was: LT Museum Reopens]

Thunderbug wrote in news:474a8bac$0$13932
:

Mizter T wrote:
Well, I guess the point is that the card would thus be being used to
pay for something other than travel - AIUI it's the fact that the card
is only used as an electronic ticket to pay for travel that exempts it
from this regulation.

Starbucks [1] has a contactless payment system for coffee and Evening
Standard [2] for newspapers - neither of which are travel...

Maybe it's not the "travel" part that makes Oyster exempt, but "one use"?

If so, mobile phone companies must be stretching it a bit with phone
bills able to cover not just calls, but ringtones, games, and even
parking tickets? BT's micropayment system Click&Buy [3] too?

Maybe they're considered something like refillable gift cards from Boots
rather than bank cards, but the difference between the two can't be much
smaller than it is already.

[1] http://starbucks.co.uk/en-GB/_Card/
[2] https://www.eroscard.co.uk/index.asp
[3] http://www.epayments.bt.com/productinfo2.htm

No doubt someone could convince the authorities that it _is_ being used for
travel. It enables foot-mode travel in the museum.
BTW, here (in Israel) you can pay for snacks/drinks from machines in e.g.
hospitals and railway stations with your cellphone (for a small surcharge).

Peter Masson November 27th 07 08:17 AM

LT Museum Reopens

"David of Broadway" wrote

I also thought of Aldwych, but Aldwych only has one track (correct?), and
new lifts would need to be installed to provide access (which I believe
was the reason it closed in 1994 in the first place).

The Aldwych branch was originally double track (more accurately, two single
tracks) but one track, and one platform at Aldwych, were abandoned for rail
use during WW1. This site has a lot of details and photographs:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ne/index.shtml

Peter

Peter Masson November 27th 07 08:21 AM

LT Museum Reopens

"Mizter T" wrote

However the Jubilee platforms are still used fairly regularly as a
useful place to reverse trains if there's been some fowl-up somewhere
on the line.

Chickens on the line?

Peter

John Rowland November 27th 07 09:00 AM

LT Museum Reopens

David of Broadway wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:44:09 +0000, John Rowland wrote:

David of Broadway wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:07:38 +0000, John Rowland wrote:

repeating myself There are two soon-to-be-unused tracks
stretching from Farringdon to Moorgate, passing a short walk from
the Museum Of London. The tracks are probably large enough for
everything - I'm sure even A-stock would fit.

Ah - excellent point! That gets us static displays on two tracks at
Moorgate and Barbican - much better than Charing Cross alone. Will
the tracks remain connected to the Thameslink line at Farrington?

No, but since they are alongside the Met, that wouldn't be a
problem. I was thinking that one track would be turned into a
"platform" stretching from Farringdon to Moorgate, and the other
would be filled with trains.

An interesting idea, if feasible.

I take it there's a track connection with the Met?

No. There would be no point - anyway, it doesn't have fourth rail
electrification.

Mizter T November 27th 07 10:25 AM

LT Museum Reopens

On 27 Nov, 09:21, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

However the Jubilee platforms are still used fairly regularly as a
useful place to reverse trains if there's been some fowl-up somewhere
on the line.

Chickens on the line?

Peter

ITYM finches - they seem to hang around a lot near a wharf on the
eastern end of the line, they're probably hiding away from all the
dogs on the island.

(Though of course they're only fowl in the loosest meaning of the
word.)

David Cantrell November 27th 07 10:36 AM

LT Museum Reopens

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:48:06AM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

It doesn't surprise me at all that it was that busy. It used to be
terribly busy at weekends as did the shop. The novelty value of it
reopening will take a while to wear off. I imagine it will be busy most
of the time until January and very busy during the holiday period.

I hope it'll be a bit quieter mid-week in December, cos I've got some
time off work and was intending to go.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

Arbeit macht Alkoholiker