Old November 23rd 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LT Museum Reopens

Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't be
able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any positive (or
otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for two years of
closure?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old November 23rd 07, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't
be able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any
positive (or otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for
two years of closure?

Most of the people who have seen it have been disappointed.

Old November 23rd 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 23, 2:48 pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I went into the shop. Not impressed , lots of tourist tat but no books
at all, not even about the tube , never mind general railway books
like they used to have. Theres definately been a dumbing down.

B2003

Old November 23rd 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On Nov 23, 2:48 pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I went into the shop. Not impressed , lots of tourist tat but no books
at all, not even about the tube , never mind general railway books
like they used to have. Theres definately been a dumbing down.

B2003

Did you go upstairs in the new shop? The enthusiast type stuff,
including at least four rows of back to back shelving full of books is
up there.
Old November 23rd 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't be
able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any positive (or
otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for two years of
closure?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

The Times had a couple of fairly positive pages on the new set up during the
week, Tuesday or Wednesday? May be online...

Paul

Old November 23rd 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Nov, 14:48, Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't be
able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any positive (or
otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for two years of
closure?

As detailed he
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/aboutus/348.aspx

I tried to post on the exact same topic this morning, but courtesy of
my own dozy ineptness I managed to consigned the post into the ether,
rather than send it on its way via the ethernet.

I am looking forward to a visit - I hadn't been to the old museum for
a some time but it was always worthwhile - though I was pondering
leaving it for a little while until the initial frenzy died down
somewhat (perhaps some time in the new year).

It's also worth noting the late opening of the museum on fridays until
9pm.

Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free - a
move which I think is great, but will no doubt be met with grumbles by
some (though depending on how things work out it might be sensible for
there to be a much reduced admission charge of say £1 for under 16s).
I'd presume that 16-18 year old sixth form students/pupils fall into
the category of the £5 student admission charge, though this isn't
clear. I presume that possession of a 16+ Oyster photocard (or the
older version, the 16-17 Oyster photocard) would do, as would an NUS
card as issued by some sixth form colleges (though not AFAIAA by
schools with sixth forms).

Some may approvingly note that the somewhat cumbersome "London's
Transport Museum" name designation has been dropped in favour of the
original and "London Transport Museum".
Old November 23rd 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes
It's also worth noting the late opening of the museum on fridays until
9pm.

But apparently not the shop (Fridays until 6.00pm), which I find
distinctly odd. This is not only a major part of a museum visit for
many but also seems to seriously limit income when the museum is costing
money to be open.

Old November 23rd 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I'm having an unusually long period of Not Being In London and won't
be able to visit until Wednesday. I wonder if anyone has any
positive (or otherwise!) Things to say about what we have to see for
two years of closure?

Most of the people who have seen it have been disappointed.

Have these been people who've been in since it opened, or people who
were working (or similar) in there before an actual opening?

I have to confess it's not what I wanted to hear but the simplification
of Museums is becoming a depressingly regular occurrence these days. I
do hope it's not true at the LT Museum.

Old November 23rd 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Mizter T wrote:

Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free - a
move which I think is great, but will no doubt be met with grumbles by
some (though depending on how things work out it might be sensible for
there to be a much reduced admission charge of say £1 for under 16s).

But do they take Oyster?

tom

--
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday
thinking. -- Albert Einstein
Old November 23rd 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Boltar writes
On Nov 23, 2:48 pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I went into the shop. Not impressed , lots of tourist tat but no books
at all, not even about the tube , never mind general railway books
like they used to have.

The shop's been open for ages and not only do I think it very good, it
has lots and lots of books, both on LT and on railways and other
subjects (eg design, architecture, tourist books).

They are all upstairs, though; did you not go up there, perhaps?

What I *have* noticed is an improvement in the attitude or at the least
the friendliness of staff there. As I've commented here before, often
at the old shops they sometimes made me feel as though I was
interrupting their private lives whenever I went in to buy anything.
On my visits to the new shop I've not had this happen once.

Theres definately been a dumbing down.

If I have a complaint, it's the new cafe! We went in there the first
week it opened. Although I'm quite used to the area having inflated
prices, I almost choked at the GBP2.50 bill for a cup of coffee.
Imagine my delight when going to pay for two cups I was faced with a
bill of GBP5.63, the 63p being for service!

Even for Covent Garden that is taking the ****! :-)