Old November 24th 07, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LT Museum Reopens

In article
,
() wrote:

Is it true there are now only 4 buses left inside? More room for taxis
and sedan chairs perhaps rather than an RT-family type which was
familiar for 50-odd years? (But is no doubt deemed to look the "same"
as an RM.)

There was an RMA in the street outside on Thursday evening.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 25th 07, 03:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

Nightingale Lane tube station? Huh?

The name, prior to opening, of what was eventually called Clapham South.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 25th 07, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message
, Mizter
T writes
It's also worth noting the late opening of the museum on fridays until
9pm.

But apparently not the shop (Fridays until 6.00pm), which I find
distinctly odd. This is not only a major part of a museum visit for many
but also seems to seriously limit income when the museum is costing money
to be open.

Where are you looking at the opening time of the shop, Ian?
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx says until 21:00 on Fridays.
--
David Biddulph

Old November 25th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David Biddulph
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message
, Mizter
T writes
It's also worth noting the late opening of the museum on fridays until
9pm.

But apparently not the shop (Fridays until 6.00pm), which I find
distinctly odd. This is not only a major part of a museum visit for many
but also seems to seriously limit income when the museum is costing money
to be open.

Where are you looking at the opening time of the shop, Ian?
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx says until 21:00 on Fridays.

People were queuing outside the museum, along the piazza, yesterday. My
househouse and I judged the queue to be long enough to put our visit to
the museum off until another (school) day. The shop also looked rather
busy.

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old November 25th 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:08:58 +0000, Paul G
wrote:

In message , David Biddulph
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message
, Mizter
T writes
It's also worth noting the late opening of the museum on fridays until
9pm.

But apparently not the shop (Fridays until 6.00pm), which I find
distinctly odd. This is not only a major part of a museum visit for many
but also seems to seriously limit income when the museum is costing money
to be open.

Where are you looking at the opening time of the shop, Ian?
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx says until 21:00 on Fridays.

People were queuing outside the museum, along the piazza, yesterday. My
househouse and I judged the queue to be long enough to put our visit to
the museum off until another (school) day. The shop also looked rather
busy.

It doesn't surprise me at all that it was that busy. It used to be
terribly busy at weekends as did the shop. The novelty value of it
reopening will take a while to wear off. I imagine it will be busy most
of the time until January and very busy during the holiday period.
--
Paul C

Old November 25th 07, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David Biddulph
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message
, Mizter
T writes
It's also worth noting the late opening of the museum on fridays until
9pm.

But apparently not the shop (Fridays until 6.00pm), which I find
distinctly odd. This is not only a major part of a museum visit for many
but also seems to seriously limit income when the museum is costing money
to be open.

Where are you looking at the opening time of the shop, Ian?
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx says until 21:00 on Fridays.

That was where I was looking and I'm absolutely certain that that has
been altered since I looked the other day. Strange. Maybe they were
initially just posting the existing times for the shop, although above
it they had inserted the new opening times for the Museum.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 25th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

[Crossposted to uk.railway]
"Mizter T" wrote
Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free

Or should "Seniors" be 60s and over, in line with the Senior
Railcard? Since achieving that age, I have discussed this point at a
number of transport-related (e.g. preserved railway) locations. Some
sensibly say that they leave it to the individual visitor's
discretion. The most inventive solution was at the Listowel
Monorailway, where they charged me an amount midway between the full
and reduced rates!

Old November 25th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

At 12:30:19 on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 John Salmon opined:-

[Crossposted to uk.railway]
"Mizter T" wrote
Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free

Or should "Seniors" be 60s and over, in line with the Senior
Railcard? Since achieving that age, I have discussed this point at a
number of transport-related (e.g. preserved railway) locations. Some
sensibly say that they leave it to the individual visitor's
discretion. The most inventive solution was at the Listowel
Monorailway, where they charged me an amount midway between the full
and reduced rates!

According to another message in this thread:-

There is an Oyster pad on the ticket counter. I didn't ask about using
it. Freedom passes get you free entry which might be what it's for.

So, for a senior with a freedom pass, is it £6.50 or free?
--
Thoss
Old November 25th 07, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 23, 5:11 pm, John Swallow wrote:
Boltar wrote:
On Nov 23, 2:48 pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I went into the shop. Not impressed , lots of tourist tat but no books
at all, not even about the tube , never mind general railway books
like they used to have. Theres definately been a dumbing down.

B2003

Did you go upstairs in the new shop? The enthusiast type stuff,
including at least four rows of back to back shelving full of books is
up there.

Ah ,. must've missed that. Was a quick flying visit while I was on my
way to elsewhere. I'll have to go back again.

B2003
Old November 25th 07, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On Nov 23, 2:48 pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
Has anyone been to the London Transport Museum since it re-opened?

I went into the shop. Not impressed , lots of tourist tat but no books
at all, not even about the tube , never mind general railway books
like they used to have. Theres definately been a dumbing down.

B2003

Did you go upstairs in the new shop? The enthusiast type stuff,
including at least four rows of back to back shelving full of books is
up there.

Ah ,. must've missed that. Was a quick flying visit while I was on my
way to elsewhere. I'll have to go back again.

The main staircase is to the right as you enter the museum. If you are
on the ground floor of the shop there is an extra staircase at the very
back on the right - by the EFE Bus models.
--
Paul C