Old November 25th 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

Default LT Museum Reopens

On 25 Nov, 13:06, thoss wrote:
At 12:30:19 on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 John Salmon opined:-

[Crossposted to uk.railway]
"Mizter T" wrote
Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free

Or should "Seniors" be 60s and over, in line with the Senior
Railcard? Since achieving that age, I have discussed this point at a
number of transport-related (e.g. preserved railway) locations. Some
sensibly say that they leave it to the individual visitor's
discretion. The most inventive solution was at the Listowel
Monorailway, where they charged me an amount midway between the full
and reduced rates!

According to another message in this thread:-

There is an Oyster pad on the ticket counter. I didn't ask about using
it. Freedom passes get you free entry which might be what it's for.

So, for a senior with a freedom pass, is it £6.50 or free?

Always best to get it from the horses mouth:
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx

"Entry fee. Adults £8, Seniors £6.50 Students;£5.00, Freedom Pass
holders and Under 16's free; Free"

So it's free entry for Freedom Pass holders, and £6.50 for "Seniors"
who don't hold a Freedom Pass (i.e. someone 60+ and not a resident of
Greater London). Whether "Seniors" are 60+ or 65+ I don't know.

There's nothing in the text that excludes disabled Freedom Pass
holders from getting free entry either.

Old November 25th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster e-money [was: LT Museum Reopens]

On 24 Nov, 20:18, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Mark Brader wrote:
Tom Anderson writes:

But do they take Oyster?

You may think you're joking,

I wasn't! It would be easy enough to do, i'd have thought, and a good
wheeze.

tom

I think it would fall foul of regulatory issues though. I understand
that if Oyster were to be used as a cashless payment system (for non-
transport services) then it would have to be regulated by the FSA as
if it were a bank - whilst as things stand, Oyster can only be used as
an electronic ticket for travel so it doesn't fall within the scope of
this regulation.

There were indeed plans for Oyster to be used as a cashless payment
system aka e-money card, for making small payments - much like the new
Visa "payWave" system (which is utilised by the new Barclaycard
Onepulse credit card). My understanding is that this would have thus
meant the Oyster system would have to be regulated as if it were a
bank, and TfL's plan was to partner with an existing bank or financial
institution rather than become a bank themselves. However, whilst TfL
talked to many banks there was a failure to agree terms with any of
them. It appears the complex issues of costs and related commercial
agreements just couldn't be, er, agreed.

There's some press comment on this issue available he
FT:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/296a2200-d...0779e2340.html
The Times:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...icle711866.ece
The Register / Kablenet:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...tcard_shelved/
ZDNet:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement...9268126,00.htm

I wonder if the banks were not also concerned with protecting their
existing merchant payment infrastructure as well. The RFID-based 'pay-
and-wave' systems for small purchases, available in the UK now from
Visa ("PayWave") and soon from MasterCard ("PayPass"), are arguably
much more agreeable to the banks as these new systems can be bolted on
to their existing merchant payment infrastructure. Additionally the
banks are very comfortable dealing with Visa and MasterCard when it
comes to payment systems - unsurprisingly as that is their bread and
butter and their clients are the banks - which is a further mark
against any bank wishing to partner with TfL for an e-money system.

Interestingly whilst the Octopus smartcard system in Hong Kong is
often held up as an example of how Oyster could have moved into e-
money, the FT article includes this comment from Tim Jones, a
consultant to Simpay, a mobile payments platform:
"Even in Hong Kong, where the Octopus card has been successful, 80 per
cent of its use is for journeys, while only 20 per cent is from
transactions made in shops"
Of course as someone pushing an alternative e-money system he might
well wish to do down the potential of Oyster e-money, but I've no
reason to doubt that the statistic isn't correct.

Perhaps this is all for the best, as the FT article also features
comments from Will Judge - who was (still is?) Director of the Oyster
E-Money programme (which I think is/was a role within TranSys rather
than TfL) - stating that he thinks "there is a significant market for
paying with Oyster cards at newsagents, public houses, parking
machines, fast-food outlets and supermarkets".

Oyster and pubs just sounds like a recipe for trouble! Can you not
picture the scenario - the lubricated multitude leaving the hostelries
of London town and then finding, to their puzzlement, on trying to
board a bus or pass through a stations ticket gates, a delightful
error code of 36, the Oyster equivalent of "go back three spaces" (or
even "go to jail"?).

Old November 25th 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 25 Nov, 12:30, "John Salmon" wrote:
[Crossposted to uk.railway]
"Mizter T" wrote
Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free

Or should "Seniors" be 60s and over, in line with the Senior
Railcard? Since achieving that age, I have discussed this point at a
number of transport-related (e.g. preserved railway) locations. Some
sensibly say that they leave it to the individual visitor's
discretion. The most inventive solution was at the Listowel
Monorailway, where they charged me an amount midway between the full
and reduced rates!

Hmm, might be worth becoming a Friend, then- according to the leaflets
that were out last weekend, that's £20 a year and free entry.
Old November 25th 07, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
Where are you looking at the opening time of the shop, Ian?
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx says until 21:00 on Fridays.

That was where I was looking and I'm absolutely certain that that has
been altered since I looked the other day. Strange. Maybe they were
initially just posting the existing times for the shop, although above
it they had inserted the new opening times for the Museum.

Google's cache backs you up

Cached copy from 19/11/07 - http://preview.tinyurl.com/33epg8

Old November 25th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:09:27 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On 25 Nov, 13:06, thoss wrote:
[...]

And where is the definition of a 'Senior' which was one of the issues
raised? The original poster thinks it is 65. You are saying it is
60. The terms and conditions appear to relate to use of the website
rather than the museum itself.
Old November 25th 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

wrote:
On 25 Nov, 13:06, thoss wrote:
[...]

Argh - I hadn't vetted my post for logical inconsistencies!

What I was trying and evidently failing to say is that I don't know
whether a "'Senior' is someone 60+ or 65+.

All I do know is that the Freedom Pass is for older London residents
aged 60+. (The disabled Freedom Pass is available for those with
eligible disabilities.)

A quick look at various London Borough websites shows that they
variously refer to the Freedom Pass as being for "elderly" or (I feel
somewhat more appropriately) "older people".
Old November 25th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Thunderbug
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:
Where are you looking at the opening time of the shop, Ian?
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/106.aspx says until 21:00 on Fridays.

That was where I was looking and I'm absolutely certain that that
has been altered since I looked the other day. Strange. Maybe they
were initially just posting the existing times for the shop, although
above it they had inserted the new opening times for the Museum.

Google's cache backs you up

Cached copy from 19/11/07 - http://preview.tinyurl.com/33epg8

Glad to know I'm not going mad. Potty, yes; but not mad per se.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 25th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
,
Ianigsy writes
On 25 Nov, 12:30, "John Salmon" wrote:
[Crossposted to uk.railway]
"Mizter T" wrote
Entry is £8, "Seniors" (presumably 65s and over) are £6.50, students
are £5.00, and following in the recent trend under-16s are free

Or should "Seniors" be 60s and over, in line with the Senior
Railcard? Since achieving that age, I have discussed this point at a
number of transport-related (e.g. preserved railway) locations. Some
sensibly say that they leave it to the individual visitor's
discretion. The most inventive solution was at the Listowel
Monorailway, where they charged me an amount midway between the full
and reduced rates!

Hmm, might be worth becoming a Friend, then- according to the leaflets
that were out last weekend, that's £20 a year and free entry.

And 10% off in the shop!